BMW 2002 build from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 2002 build from Australia

Hi guys, havnt really posted here but thought i'd show you the progress of my car. I'll be copying and pasting it from another forum so the dates and progress might seem very fast but it really hasnt been lol. Hope you guys enjoy it!

---------------

So i picked up a new 'old' car. Ive always wanted one of these and could never find one in running condition or even with rego (scared about blue slip lol).

When i had my E30, i realised that a guy down the road had purchased one of these cars not long after and ever since then, every time i drive past it im always like damnnnn i want one!

So after looking at a few cars, trying to find another project car and then getting cut down..they all kept selling before i could even have a look at it.

Three days ago i was over getting cut and considered walking down the road and knock on the door of the owner of the car and ask if he wanted to sell..but i decided to just do a quick check on carsales and to my surprise, there was one for sale! running with rego so i was soo excited. I messaged the guy straight away and organised to look at it after uni (8pm)..and luckily enough he was happy to meet.

So went to check it out, everything works, everything is there. Only downfall is the paintjob which i didnt care about at all since i'll eventually respray it myself

So i left a deposit and picked it up the next day. So here is my 2002! the day i picked it up

So there it is! its old, its double my age plus a couple years!
    The good thing is that everything works and that it already has a 5 speed conversion on it as oppose to the original 4 speed. It also has a weber throttle body to give it some oomph.

The bad thing is the paint is old and isnt the best..also the front seats were replaced with some random ones which i dont even know where its from. But thats okay, i'll eventually swap them for Recaros..

Its going to be a long and slow progress but hopefully it'll be somewhat clean and look something like this

So yeah! there it is

First thing i did was remove the ugly tow bar. As if anyone would even have a tow bar on this car

Much cleaner!

Comment

yesterday i cleaned up the interior abit, mounted the cd player properly and fix the carby and airfilter.

BUT today! today was a good day..i picked up a set of wheels for it

Will do a test fit tomorrow

Thanks,
      Nick

Comment

Well in other news, i picked up a new air filter, fuel filter and some oil filters..

Fitted the air filter

Alot more neatening up to do..

I went to test fit the BBS wheels but unfortunately the front inner barrel of the wheels hit the strut so i couldnt fit them the rears fit but definitely need new outer lips. So plan is to change the rear outer lips from 0.5" to 2", change the front inner barrels from 6" to 5.5" or smaller and also change the front outer lips to 1" if possible. Also since i was depressed about the wheels hitting the strut, i did this for the lols and suprisingly it looks pretty cool lol

Thats its for now..

Comment

Bit of an impulse buy tonight..picked up some nice recaros with extendable leg room with the rare mesh headrests.

Slowly collecting parts lol. Need to get a steering wheel, more lows and get the wheels fixed. Paint will have to be postponed till a later time. Having uni everyday sucks. So hopefully it'll be done by the end of the year. Funny cause my cousin asked if he could use my car in his wedding in January! so i guess i have a goal and deadline

Heres a pic of the seats

Thanks

Comment

So i got started on splitting the BBS wheels yesterday which took ages since they were still genuine unsplit..so i could only split two before having to go to uni..

Removal of tyres:

Split two:

All four:

----

Yesterday i dropped off the distributor cap and rotor at a spare part shop to try match it up..went back today get pick up these!

Unfortunately, when it came to fitting the rotor, it didnt fit..it was 1mm smaller diameter and wouldnt fit onto the shaft. So had to go back and he called up his supplier who had one in stock..and so i got to go back tomorrow..hopefully its right..finding parts for this car is a pain! even repco messed up and gave me the wrong one..

ps..look how ancient the distributor cap is (LHS)..its like they never changed it..so many cracks on it

Thats all guys..thanks

Comment

I got around to getting the correct distributor rotor BH89, and also the distributor contact points S11V.

Also picked up some yellow fog lights to fit onto the the front bar..would look alright i guess..easy enough to remove if i feel like it

This morning i also picked up another set of wheels, genuine watanabe wheels with fresh Michelin Pilot Sports! abit over kill..unfortunately, the tyres werent the sizes i was hoping (195/50/15 for the BBS RS), they came out to be 195/55/15..but still a good deal

After that i headed over to a mates place and we did some swapping around of barrels so that i can clear front struts now with the bbs its about an inch difference..abti more than i wanted but overall just happy it'll fit now

He also was kind enough to give me some 1" lips to replace my crappy 0.5" lips for the front pair..may look like nothing but when its fitted to the wheels, it makes a big difference in offset..

I also picked up some 2" lips for the rear pair. Heres the comparison to the 1" lips

Comparison to the 0.5" lips

And last but not least, i picked up some new BBS centre cap logos

Test fitting:

Staggered setup lol hopefully fits all good..

And just random pics

The room is getting taken over by my parts lol

Thanks all!

Comment

Bit of an update.

Firstly, I bought some 195/45/15 brand new tyres for my BBS wheels when they are complete

I also sanded back the BBS faces in preparation for painting them (just waiting for a good sunny day) and i'll just be painting them with the left over silver paint from my VW.

(yes thats an orange BMW 2002 hotwheels car lol)

I also stripped back the clear coat on the two 1" bbs lips and also stripped back the clear coat on the hexcaps today.

ANYWAYS..SOOOOOOO........yesterday i bought some MDF to replace my door cards as they were flimsy now..

and today when i was trying to remove one of the metal clips holding the vinyl to the board. I was using a flat head screwdriver and it slipped an pierced into my left hand really deep. I was bleeding a fk load and it was so painful so i had to go to the hospital.

3 hrs and couple stitches later, i was finally out. Still in pain though..

Then, what made my day even worse was that i had purchased a woodgrain nardi classico steering wheel (which would look fking sick in the 2002 i rekon) and it arrived at my house like this:

My heart sank..i was like pleaseee dont be broken, pleaseeee...so i checked on it, on first glance i was so happy, i was in love

then when i went to put it down i noticed a crack along the left side!
                sighhhhhhhhh.....even i found the piece of varnish that had fallen off from impact here

so i went to the post office and made a claim..they took my nardi and said it would take 4-10 weeks to evaluate it! i became so sad..ive been trying so hard to find a wood grain nardi which wasnt overly priced and then this just had to happen

Till next time guys!

Thanks

Comment

Bit of an update.
                  So...the reason there has been a lack of updates is due to the crappy ass weather here in Sydney. Its been pouring down like crazy so i havnt been able to do much work to the car. I really wanted to have the BBS faces painted so i could assemble the BBS wheels but that wont happen anytime soon anymore..

I fitted the new door cards i made for the front doors, stripped the rear interior. My rear seats had a seat cover as i was told it was ripped underneath..i took it out and yepppppp, the top of the back piece was demolished. So i was looking for a replacement.

So what ive been doing is fixing up the front 1" lips. I stripped the original clear coat and sanded it. There was alot of oxidation and pitting so sanding it was very very time consuming and tiring.

Finally got rid of all the oxidation yesterday and so i polished it up. Turned out quite well i must say..

It actually puts the rear lips to shame..now i have to redo the rear ones-.-

Pretty inspirational pic

Anyways..today there was a BMW 2002 parts sale and so i thought i'd go check it out, hopefully picking up some parts that i needed.

The place was clean, everything categorised.

So the deal with the sale was, first in best dressed and so I ended up going home with...

So yeah..i kind of raided the place lol. Got some good parts which would be put to good use

Until next time guys!

Thanks

Comment

So i got woken up today, but luckily it was something good!

Since Auspost had taken my old nardi to do an assessment on it (which has been more than 2 weeks now), i purchased another nardi classic.

This one came in perfect condition, looks mint and is complete with the horn and ring. VERY happy with it

Comment

So ive been waiting on a package to arrive from Melb. It legit took 2 weeks. Turns out the package was never scanned into the post office and was sitting on a desk for a whole week. Crazy annoying but glad it finally arrive..

Yep, Red BBS caps. Hard to find as theyre discontinued now. Love them!

Also, ever since the BMW parts sale..i really regretted not picking up the front seats that was available. Since my car came with seats out of a different car (pic below as reference), i thought i might just get it as original as possible. I do plan to get some period correct recaros but the stock seats will do for now. So i contacted the guy that held the sale and asked if he still had the seats and luckily he did. So i picked them up yesterday along with more spares lol. Couldnt help myself. It suits the interior much better!

Current seats in the car

New parts

Seats are dirty as hell and some areas where its loosing its shape. But overall in good condition for 40 year old seats. I've cleaned it up today (pics tomorrow).

So after getting the parts and heading home. I noticed that the sun was out and it was pretty good weather so i rushed home and started to get to work.

Out came the necessary material..

It was my chance to finally paint the wheels! i took heapppppsss of pics but i'll just show a few.

My set up LOL

First layer down

Second layer

Third layer

Then i sprayed 3 layers of clear on it. Cant find the pics for that though..
                      Let me just say..i **** Sydneys weather! it kept sprinkling ! i was running in and out of the house with the bbs faces lol but i finally got there in the end!

Mandatory test fit

Yep i still got to sand and polish the rear lips and hex caps..its a long process so i really cant be bothered haha..i'll get around to it soon enough.

Comment

So today i cleaned up the seats abit. Still got more cleaning to do. Also you may have noticed that theyre no longer sagging or flat in some spots. Its cause they were filled with foam! now its more comfy and no more holes of emptiness lol.

And so i fitted them. They look much better than my previous seats and they suit the interior imo.

I also fitted my nardi wheel, havnt fitted the horn and ring cause i still need to make sure its aligned.

So along with fitted the seats and wheel, i changed up a few of the interior pieces including the upper and lower trim of on the steering column, the door handles, the centre console, handbrake rubber boot. Fixed the pop out windows so that they seal properly, fixed the doors so that they shut tight. Very happy with the interior now that all the ripped, worn out trims are replaced. Overall a good morning

Comment

Change a few things before heading to uni today..Replace the corner indicators since one was retarded colour and didnt match..

before

after

also changed the fuel neck rubber since mine was cracking due to old age..

before

after

Comment

so i put in work tonight and finished off sanding the rear lips and polished them up..

Also tomorrow i'll be heading over to rayrays place to swap my rear inner barrels for smaller ones again. Didnt want to risk the rears hitting the inner wheel well cause it had like 5mm clearance before..

Hopefully tomorrow i'll have them bolted and torqued up

Comment

so i re-sanded and buffed the rear lips as there was pitting on them..did them last night so that i could head on over to rayrays place today and bolt, torque and seal them..

When i got to Ray's place, i decided to swap him my rear barrels for smaller barrels. I planned on swapping them for the same barrels i got for the fronts but we ended up finding some that were just 0.5" smaller. Enough to get me out of trouble and keep it looking pretty sweet. Amazing that we found them..even Ray didnt know he had them (well who can blame him..hes got so many lol)

Anyways, I bolted them while ray was finishing up a set of wheels he was refurbing..unfortunately we ran out of sealant and time as i had to go to uni but we got 3 out of the 4 sealed..

all torqued up and ready for sealant:

3 out of the 4 sealed and wrapped so i could bring them home

Safe at home!

I managed to seal up the last one after uni tonight..so everything is all done. Just to wait for the sealant to dry then fit tyres

Comment

Working...
                              X