Broke Boii 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke Boii 240

I have always loved 240sx's and had plans for a 1j swapped drift car, I was scrolling through my Instagram feed I saw a post that a guy had posted for his friend in hopes to sell his s13 "rolling" shell with front end damage for $50 and a 30 brick (a case of beer).

I had been looking for 240 shells on craigslist for a while for something to suit my super low budget of $300 but found nothing cheap enough. Until this which had seemed to fall in my lap...

First thing I had to do was get my other car ('89 535i) on the road, this car needs exhaust. So my dad for some odd reason willingly brought it down to a local custom shop near me to have a custom $1500 exhaust put on, fully payed for by him and I didn't even have to ask him. Next up for that car is a racing harness. Once that car is good enough to get on the road the heavy work will start on the s13.

Saturday 11/21

I borrowed a buddy's trailer and engine hoist the night before to get the old engine out of the car and bring it home. We got the engine out and the car loaded no problem. On the way home a brake caliper piston decided it didn't want to come home with me and left a big puddle of brake fluid on the trailer.

Note the dangling sway bar lol none of the rear end is bolted in, the coils are literately only held in by the bottom bolt in the hub with no nuts and no top hat nuts, sway bar is only in by the bushing brackets, front struts are bolted in, steering is somehow still hanging on to one knuckle, the best part is the wheel arch... it was cracked so the previous owner bolted it together with some aluminum mounting brackets which is freekin awesome!

Because 240 right? Super dank drift kar ready to go skuuuuuuur round sum korners rip the ebrake and shred some rubber!

Ok so first on the list is to gut it completely to the bare shell starting with the interior I just finished this today by taking out the steering column and various small pieces.

Once I was happy with the interior i moved to the engine bay and started removing all the hard lines because they are rusty and look shitty and i plan on doing a full tucked and shaved engine bay. So far about half the hard line fittings have been rusted stuck and I've stripped the bolts and broken the lines getting them out but what ever they're all being replaced anyway. When i got to the rear sub frame to remove the rear lines i decided to try to help myself out and get the rear suspension out of the way. I started with the driver side where i found a rusted out hard line that was about to break so i just took it the rest of the way without even attempting to unbolt it because #yolo.

Got the rear suspension for the most part out of the car snapping the upper control arm bolt because rust makes bolts strong so they never break.

While i was under there and had plenty of room to look around i found a lot of rust that looked like surface rust until i poked it with a screwdriver and found out my frame, sub frame, and suspension pieces are rotting away...

This is completely fvcked...

Thats if for now until i get some time after thanksgiving...

P.S.
    I may be a little slow to update and do work on it because im 16 with two cars now and I have very limited money most of witch will be going to the bmw until it is road worthy.
    Last edited by kneums; 01-04-2016, 11:14 PM.

MOAR!
    Originally posted by FunfGang
    But lol at the "meaty look" "coming back".
    Originally posted by Dudermagee
    XXr's, homey.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOGUNOVDDRK View Post

MOAR!

BE PATIENT!

Comment

The frame and floor rust is being cut out along with all other rust where ever it may be is either being cut or getting the wire wheel.

Pictures and a more detailed update to come soon...

Comment

The rear was cut out from sub frame back, keeping the body as a reference point and there was no reason to cut it.
          It was cut to make room for a fuel cell cage and rear bash bar.

I also cut the front frame out because it had front end damage and i am going to be doing a tubed front...

The frame needs some touch up where i had no choice but to cut it, the frame rails will also be re done.

Thats pretty much is until i get a welder and tubes to start doing the tubing and roll cage.

Comment

Sooooo...... i may have got the 240 an engine...... and it may or may not be a 2jz

300k+ miles but other than that its perfect, and for $300, yes $300, you cant go wrong.

Yes i rusted my door, because why not.

Also cracked the valve cover... How? Let's just say engines don't bounce off garage floors too well...

Started cleaning the head and block... no i'm not done cleaning it yet.

My plans for this build is somewhere around 450-500 hp to keep it suitable to drive on the street every now and again, while still being able to fvck up the track at a drift day.

Once the engine is cleaned it will be put in the car and sit for a while as i plan to move soon. But once I am settled i will continue to build the engine, i plan to do a full high boost build but run it conservative for reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang
              But lol at the "meaty look" "coming back".
              Originally posted by Dudermagee
              XXr's, homey.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOGUNOVDDRK View Post

Comment

just some advice I have learnt the hard way from being in your position with a massive project and not enough money - don't bite the bullet stripping or modifying parts unless you're ready to finish the plan with it then and there. you'd be amazed how often dead solid plans end up getting changed then you're left with a chopped up X or a totally stripped Y that has lost its resale value.

Comment

Originally posted by anti.engineered View Post
                    just some advice I have learnt the hard way from being in your position with a massive project and not enough money - don't bite the bullet stripping or modifying parts unless you're ready to finish the plan with it then and there. you'd be amazed how often dead solid plans end up getting changed then you're left with a chopped up X or a totally stripped Y that has lost its resale value.
                    I hear you. I'm pretty confident on what i want to do. I've been dreaming of a jz swapped 240 for years.

I'm currently just trying to clean everything up and see what i have and getting the chassis straight and caged.

Comment

Solid advice.

Divide and conquer one at a time. That chassis is so rotted that I'd probably start with that mess first.
                      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                      Originally posted by Ollie
                      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                        Solid advice.

Divide and conquer one at a time. That chassis is so rotted that I'd probably start with that mess first.
                        That's what I am doing, going to pick up a welder hopefully this week and i will start fixing the frame rust/rot and i will also be patching the holes on the floor... after i teach myself how to weld.

Trying to get it all straight and solid to have a solid platform to build on top of.

Comment

Wait, but that's like 90% of all 240sx "builds". Are you telling him to go against the norm?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                            Wait, but that's like 90% of all 240sx "builds". Are you telling him to go against the norm?
                            so true. I am tho going against the "normal" zip tie pabst blue ribbon drinker scene kid hipster look.
                            Maybe.... im tossing around a few ideas...

Comment

Haven't done anything substantial to the 240 in a while because I have no extra money lol.
                              I just sold my "daily" and now that that car is gone i need to find a new daily which i should possibly be getting tonight....

Once i get a new daily all my money is going into the 240. So progress should move at a decent pace and once the weather starts to warm up a little i am going to start to practicing welding so i can weld the floors back in and get the necessary items needed for the engine bay and front aero so i can mock up the tubed front.

Here is a pic of how it currently sits.

Comment

Working...
                              X