TE72----Kyusha kai inspired 56k kys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TE72----Kyusha kai inspired 56k kys

So for a while now I've wanted to build a kyusha/shakotan inspired car, but didn't have a good candidate at the time. After selling my sil40 and selling what i could off my ae86 to get back in the black, i decided to look for something cheap and quick to get together. As luck would have it i was sent a link to a local 1981 Toyota corolla on craigslist with a bad transmission for $550. Well being very familiar with older corollas, and having a t50 and some other parts left from my AE86 i decided to jump on it.

well $500 later and the seller even drove it to my house, i was the "lucky" owner of a te72 corolla.

i decided while i was at it, throw on the lowering springs i had and the work equips that no one in ohio wanted on the car....thats where it went stupid.

It all started browsing craigslist one day and i found the perfect set of wheels for the car in my price range..

Thats right! american racing hammers! the wheels ive wanted to throw on a car for YEARS! $150 and a drive and they were mine. 15x8 -60 and i wrapped them in 165/45/15 federals. But there was a problem...

These beautiful bastards werent meant for an 81 corolla, no...they are at home on an 81 mustang. So i needed flares, and camber for sure. I went with jdmflares wide zg fronts in the rear and regular zg rears in the front (which i later realized i should of ran the wide fronts in the front also) Well at this time i also decide to run s13 front suspension, coilovers, and convert the car from box to rack and pinion.

using a starlet manual rack, and the brackets off my ae86 crossmember, i converted the e7 3tc cross member to rack and pinion

well i decided i didnt care for using the stock s13 lower control arms, so i fabricated some from 1.25" .120 wall dom, using 5/8 ruffstuff specialties rod ends, bronze sleeves, and brackets i had cut from laser grade steel by Mike wagner at cornfield customs. i also threw together and adjustable panhard bar for the rear.

The tie rod combo was a dilemma, information was vague so i spent some time on napa online, and found that a 2000 tacoma rwd inner is the right threads for the rack and right length for my control arms to be adjust 1.5" over stock, and i used an s14 outer bored and tapped to m15x1.5.

so here they are all welded up and also the tension rods that i fabricated.

The coilovers i built were standard issue camaro agx rears with 8kg springs, the fronts however are s13 oem cases with Bilstein Mitsubishi 3000gt hd inverted shocks, 6kg springs and techno toy tuning camber plates.

After the suspension was all sorted i took a few pictures for instagram likes

test fit the s10 lip, with an oil quart holding it up hahaha and found out i have to space my fenders so the flares don't rub. so all that done, i began to fix some rust, most of it is temporary.

Pretty excited i finally used my bead roller after owning it for 8 years! not bad. Well on to the exhaust! 2.25" aluminized steel, with a resonator and a customs tail pipe all made by myself.

i also cut out my roll pan because it was ugly and really rotten, not sure the corolla guys care for it hahaha. Id like to get rid of my tire well and my gas tank in the future and maybe do a splitter. So after all that i was able to get the car back on the road, with a tune up and some other mechanical issues, and trimming the bumper to sit closer, I had my friend awful_hero take some rad pictures.

So after all that, i decide to throw in my racing seat, do some interior mods, throw on some explorer side skirts i had and go to the car show.

So last week i added some fender mirrors, and a fc oil cooler with brackets i made and braided lines....and its functional, not like it will do much for me hahaha.

This car turned out to be a lot more work than i anticipated for sure, but im very happy with it so far, the plan for the winter is to weld the diff, and maybe put some bike carbs on the 3tc and drift it next year. i hope you all enjoy the build, and be sure to follow me on instagram @u_garage and look up UnfriendlyGarage on facebook for more up to date info on my car and all the other stuff myself and my friends are working on.

ps: sorry for the grammar
    Last edited by Unfriendlygarage; 11-18-2015, 11:23 AM.

Awesome. I love it
    My Build Thread - Alfa 75 3lt

Comment

I like your style!

If only i had this kind of time...
      81 CORONA BUILD
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=72304&

Comment

This car turned out to be a lot more work than i anticipated for sure, but im very happy with it so far, the plan for the winter is to weld the diff, and maybe put some bike carbs on the 3tc and drift it next year.

Comment

i like this a lot for various reasons

just that the wheels are a lil small for my taste (width)
          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Fucking rad! Great fab work, I love your vision to create something a little rough around the edges.

Have you thought about tucking the oil lines closer to the grille so they don't stick out so far? They just seem like they're a little on the dangly side. That, and a little more sidewall to the tires would probably lend to the racer image a hair better.

2 cents aside, really looking forward to what you're going to do! Budget builds with period correct and old school modifications are awesome to watch.
            Last edited by MommysLittleMonster; 11-18-2015, 08:34 AM.
            BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
            Originally posted by Ollie
            We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

this is awesome
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

i like it! fender mirror and front oil cooler realy changed it!
                Ruining cars since 2006 yo

Comment

Fuck man this thing is sweet, keep it up

Comment

fuckin rad dude. I need something like this

Comment

Flippin awesome. I taught myself to drive in a 1.6 GLS. This car will always be closest to my heart. A neighbour has one freshly painted but not assembled. Maybe I should approach him with an offer. Throw Jap wheels on and follow your example. Hella nice build build buddy!

Comment

love this. giving me all sorts of ideas for my truck.

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
                        Originally posted by nickskater09
                        I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

this thing is so bad ass!
                          E36 Bonnie

Comment

Damn this thing is badass! I've seen that sick volvo around and I hope to see this sometime soon.
                            http://cdn.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17224

Comment

This is new levels of awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X