Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Tonys18t
StanceWorks Regular
  • User Status: Offline

Default Fender Rolling and Pulling

OK, thought i'd put a thread up about pulling and rolling dem fenders seeing so many people have asked ,

People always have a million questions about it, so nows the time to ask. I've been messing with fenders for almost 15 years, so chances are i've worked on your make and model of car already.
This isnt an ad, just a chance for people to get a discussion going, because it really seems like people need fender work, but are pretty clueless about how, why, where and when.

heres some pics of some of the stuff i do to get started.

Lexus GS with 19x12s , Before

After,

Tony 818 368 4395

Last edited by Tonys18t; 02-28-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Travis
PlastiDip?
StanceWorks Lover

You need to come roll my fenders!!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Tuck&Poke
StanceWorks OG

good idea, id probably put this in ride control, but i think we need this. There is very little information out there.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Tonys18t
StanceWorks Regular

To true, Hellaflush this year kinda made me think of it, so many people have screwed up their fenders, i was genuinely shocked to see some of the hack jobs out there.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Dr.AK
Representing Deutschland.
StanceWorks OG
  • Contact this user:

Send a message via AIM to Dr.AK Send a message via MSN to Dr.AK Send a message via ICQ to Dr.AK

Question: Using a fender roller - can I roll out some very slight dents I made in the fender while hammering down the fender lip? I had my rear fenders done by a shop but it wasnt enough, so to stop the wheel rubbing I used a rubber mallet and a block of iron to flatten the fender edge. Passenger's side came out perfect, driver's side has 3 small dents on the top of the arch. If I use a fender roller to further roll teh fenders, is there any chance that I can roll these flat again?

And for understanding purpose:
Basically all you do is heat the paint and gently apply pressure with the fender roller and do a few rolls over the arch to get an even result?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Hillbilly
StanceWorks Visitor

Glad to see you put a mustang up... can a person pull fenders on a mustang? my 295/50-15s w/ -13 offset 15x8s rub -particularly bad on the driver side! (yes it is redneck status. I love the stance movement, but don't know how it can work on a 95 gt)
I did a terrible job of rolling them myself, but they look about as thin as the pix you showed of that black 99-04. So, for me to get more clearance it seems like pulling would be my only option other than raising the car back up some (really don't want to do that!).

Last edited by Hillbilly; 06-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
CSBolger
StanceWorks Addicted

How much, and do you trim fenders?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
polo12345
StanceWorks Regular

and pics of you rolling an e36 rear fender?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Stolzy
StanceWorks Lover

ever done a 1972 Toyota Carina haha? doubt it but if your down in the fall sometime I'm down to let you !!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
GotALMS
StanceWorks Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post
Basically all you do is heat the paint and gently apply pressure with the fender roller and do a few rolls over the arch to get an even result?
It seems that simple, but its definitely not. After watching Tony roll my fenders, it's not as easy as bolting the roller on the car and just rolling the fenders. As you get closer to the back of the car or closer to the front of the car, you have to adjust the angle of the roller. There is such a great amount of pressure being applied from the roller, that you'll end up pushing out the front and back of the fender, and the center part MIGHT be ok/rolled or probably pushed inward a bit from the outer portions of the fender being pushed outward. Even though Tony does it really quickly and makes it look so damn easy, its definitely an easy way to fuck up your fenders.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Tuck&Poke
StanceWorks OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo12345 View Post
e36's are a bit tough. Works a lot better when you cut the fender just before the spot welds (so it doesnt split) and then roll the rest.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Team_Gileto
StanceWorks Regular

my eastwood fender roller is probably one of the best purchases i have ever made, everyone needs to make sure the get a good heat gun as well.

i'll post some pics of fender rolling i've done when i get a chance
Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
L31
StanceWorks Regular

i seriously need to take care of my rear fenders
Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
boligrafo123
StanceWorks Addicted

Quote:
Question: Using a fender roller - can I roll out some very slight dents I made in the fender while hammering down the fender lip? I had my rear fenders done by a shop but it wasnt enough, so to stop the wheel rubbing I used a rubber mallet and a block of iron to flatten the fender edge. Passenger's side came out perfect, driver's side has 3 small dents on the top of the arch. If I use a fender roller to further roll teh fenders, is there any chance that I can roll these flat again?

Do you have pics of the dents? Being able to take them out using a roller really depends on where they are located.

As you roll, it is important to be conscious of how much pressure you are applying, as well as the angle of the wheel. Usually, you apply the the most torque at the center of the fender (position where the roller is completely vertical), and as you move away from the center, you simultaneously lessen the torque bit-by-bit. Heating is simple; heat the paint, do a few passes with the roller, re-heat, do a few more passes, etc., until you're all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
Glad to see you put a mustang up... can a person pull fenders on a mustang? my 295/50-15s w/ -13 offset 15x8s rub -particularly bad on the driver side! (yes it is redneck status. I love the stance movement, but don't know how it can work on a 95 gt)
I did a terrible job of rolling them myself, but they look about as thin as the pix you showed of that black 99-04. So, for me to get more clearance it seems like pulling would be my only option other than raising the car back up some (really don't want to do that!).
The rear fenders on Mustangs are pretty thick, but they can definitelly be pulled. As a matter of fact, I did a '95 Cobra just yesterday.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
610EURO
  • User Status:

roofing hammer and a right arm is all you need

Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
fabfred
StanceWorks Visitor

hmm maybe i can go lowwer lol
Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #17
Tonys18t
StanceWorks Regular

Quote:

Its a little difficult to say for sure without seeing the arch, but honestly, i'm going to say its going to very difficult to remove the dents completely, The main problem is that on most cars the rear is double skinned, so you'll have to indent the inner skin to get to the dent on the outer. I've done it a couple of times with a body hammer, but the roller is likely to make things worse.

Basically, you're right, the heat will soften the paint to try to prevent cracking. its best to make a lot of passes and work very slowly and carefully. you have to adjust the hieght and angle of the roller a lot while you're working too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
Sure you can pull fenders on Mustangs, i've done pretty much all of them from 66 to a brand new 2010. the newer post Fox body cars have flat edges on the fenders, you gotta be careful and not pull them too far, otherwise they wrinkle on the lower edge.
I'd try going done to something like a 265/50 and drop it some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBolger View Post
How much, and do you trim fenders?
Been seeing your car a lot lately dude, Bimmerfest, Hellaflush... looks killer.
I can trim/shave fenders no problem, but the e28s can be pulled pretty good too.
Again, dont really want this thread to turn into an ad, but hit me up on the PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo12345 View Post
I know i have some E36 pics somewhere, biggest issue on most older BMW cars is cleaning the underseal crap out of the rears before you start, i've done loads of them though. you can pull those suckers a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolzy View Post
ever done a 1972 Toyota Carina haha? doubt it but if your down in the fall sometime I'm down to let you !!
I've done an old Carina, not sure of the year though, just make sure there's no bondo in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Pure-Euro.com View Post
It seems that simple, but its definitely not. After watching Tony roll my fenders, it's not as easy as bolting the roller on the car and just rolling the fenders. As you get closer to the back of the car or closer to the front of the car, you have to adjust the angle of the roller. There is such a great amount of pressure being applied from the roller, that you'll end up pushing out the front and back of the fender, and the center part MIGHT be ok/rolled or probably pushed inward a bit from the outer portions of the fender being pushed outward. Even though Tony does it really quickly and makes it look so damn easy, its definitely an easy way to fuck up your fenders.
Thanks Alex, give me another call when you're free, i'll come over and work those fronts out some more.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #18
GotALMS
StanceWorks Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys18t View Post
Thanks Alex, give me another call when you're free, i'll come over and work those fronts out some more.
Thanks Tony!

For anyone in the Los Angeles area looking for a great fender roller, hit Tony up. Great price and awesome guy.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
Tonys18t
StanceWorks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610EURO View Post
roofing hammer and a right arm is all you need

...you better add life insurance to that list if you're rolling using that stock factory jack

Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
610EURO
  • User Status:

Quote:
...you better add life insurance to that list if you're rolling using that stock factory jack
the picture was taken to show that my car could never be lowered with a factory jack as it gets stuck even at its lowest setting. thats what the picture was originally for. it just so happens to be one of the very few pics i have of that car left after my computer crashed. you can also notice the horrible cell phone camera and only half the car painted
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #21
rickyislazy
StanceWorks Visitor

Tony is the man

Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #22
on1wheel06
StanceWorks Visitor

ever do a 99-07 silverado?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #23
xBtony
StanceWorks Regular

Hmmm. I need some new wheels then i want my fenders pulled. Debating if i wanna pay u, or use my bat? Hahahaha. ur work looks dope, saw ur car at HF. haha. its deff time for more a agressive stance
Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #24
Tonys18t
StanceWorks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyislazy View Post
Tony is the man

only rolled those fenders today, looking good Ricky

...those are my old rims too

Quote:
Originally Posted by on1wheel06 View Post
ever do a 99-07 silverado?
I've done a Suburban, Its an old skool hammer and dolly job,

Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #25
ShanesG
StanceWorks Regular

Quote:
To true, Hellaflush this year kinda made me think of it, so many people have screwed up their fenders, i was genuinely shocked to see some of the hack jobs out there.
Dude, tell me about it, so many effed up fenders at HF this year. The whole time i wa think WHO THE HELL DID THIS haha.

People need to stop "trying" to roll their own fenders when they have no idea what they are doing. Nothing worse than seeing a car with nice wheels and stance but the fender looks like some one put in in a meat grinder -___- fail.
Shyne~Fitment Done Right---Your #1 socal fender roller