'Merica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Merica

Here is my latest build. I have mostly been building imports in the past, you can see my previous builds here: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67611

I sold the truck in that thread, in less than one day of posting it, for my full asking price. The same week I sold it, I picked up this car for less than $5k, which was about $3k less than I saw other cars in this shape going for. Here are the pictures from the original ad I bought the car from of my 1999 Chevy Camaro Z28 (6-Speed, 140k miles):

Gotta love the truck with flames in the background lol.

The car was completely stock with the exception of a very poorly-fitted Hooker Aerochamber catback exhaust and tint (that I will get around to replacing later, not a priority).

The first things I did to the car were rear wheel bearings, tie rod ends, transmission mount, LT1 taillights (the originals were cracked anyways), black front turn signals and a black billet grill. Here are some pictures after that first round of mods:

Next on the list was to try to polish the headlights and do the whistler mod. That attempt failed miserably as the headlight covers were too far gone, so I got some Depo black housing headlights:

Got the tailpipes redone at a local shop with a mandrel bender, and put on some single 2.5" inlet, 4.5" exit Jeg's exhaust tips:

Then, I had the misfortune to get a flat on a rear tire at the bead. I was going to buy some cheap used tires, but my fiance surprised me and said my wedding gift for later this year was a track day at VIR! So that was my ticket to get this car to the next level. Got some Koni Yellows and Strano Springs, put the front springs on the lower perch, and did the heater hose mod to the rear springs (basically removed rear isolator and covered the top of the spring with heater hose). After Koni's and lowering springs:

Next, I went through and changed fluids, and sealed all leaks. New oil pan gasket (not a fun job on an LS1, have to drop front crossmember), new rear diff gasket, Motul brake fluid and clutch fluid, new trans fluid, etc. Also changed the brakes out for Centric premium rotors and Stoptech pads. Deciding on wheels was a difficult decision. I originally bought some C6 Corvette Z06 Spyder wheels, but decided I wanted something smaller than a 19x12 on the rear. Sold that set, and went with 18x9.5" ESR SR04 wheels (5x120, +35 offset) with Nitto NT555 tires in 245/40/18; went through Unleashed Wheels, the guy there was super helpful. When I went to fit these up, I noticed there was no way the brakes would clear these wheels, so went and got some generic 5-lug 5/16s spacers from the parts store (temporary solution, ordered some custom hubcentric spacers and extended lugs).

Here is my first fitment:

And after rolling the rear fenders and mounting the wheels:

This is probably gonna be how it stays for a while, hope you like it; stay tuned.
    Last edited by MoonlitMechanic; 09-02-2015, 08:15 AM.
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28 6-Speed
    Contact me for repairs or custom builds: Urban Legends Motorsport

Getting there, just need moreeeeeeee lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Comment

lacking only static

ALFAlow-> https://www.facebook.com/pages/ALFAlow/1442758092683835

Comment

I actually like F-bodies....

Lucas
        Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
        Originally posted by LCG
        High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dremetos View Post
          Getting there, just need moreeeeeeee lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
          Originally posted by ŁukaszV6 View Post
          lacking only static
          Can't say I disagree, definitely would like to take it lower at some point. But for now, I need function over form... I know I know

Need to make sure I'm not rubbing fenders on the track, and this set of springs is well known for being a good spring rate for track use. You should see how little these springs drop the car on the upper perch and isolators in lol. Also, I live in an apartment with monstrous speed bumps and already scrape now. When I owned the Datsun (shown in my previous thread) I used to have to park it on the street down from the complex. And if I do drop it more, I may have to go with a higher offset since the front fenders on this car are fiberglass and I cant roll/pull them.

Comment

Someone's a copycat...

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Good luck with the build!

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

I can dig it

Would love to see this thing with no fender to lip low, would make me feel some type of way. But I know GM was weird and put fiberglass fenders on those cars amongst others.

Comment

Since an fbody was my first car I have an incredible soft spot for these cars. With that being said unless you plan on tracking the car, I wouldn't run strano springs simply because they don't get you very low. If you're happy with its height more power to you but I would look into coil over options. A good friend of mine runs a set of KW Variant and is pretty damn low. Another person I know runs Vikings with some modifications I'm guessing shorter sleeves or springs not sure. Anyway here's a pic of my friend Brian's car on KWs

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                  Someone's a copycat...

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Good luck with the build!

That is one bad ass Jeep by the way.

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
                  Since an fbody was my first car I have an incredible soft spot for these cars. With that being said unless you plan on tracking the car, I wouldn't run strano springs simply because they don't get you very low. If you're happy with its height more power to you but I would look into coil over options. A good friend of mine runs a set of KW Variant and is pretty damn low. Another person I know runs Vikings with some modifications I'm guessing shorter sleeves or springs not sure. Anyway here's a pic of my friend Brian's car on KWs

The Strano's handle great, but I know one day I will crave a lower ride, once I finally move on to a house with a flat driveway instead of an apartment with 20 f*ing speed bumps. I literally teetered on one of them in my Datsun 280z. KW's are nice, just wish they weren't so pricey.

Comment

some inspiration...

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

They're definitely pricey for sure but my friend got a great deal on his. Anyways good luck with the build !

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                        some inspiration...
                        Not gonna lie, that car IS the reason I bought an F-Body. Didnt realize they could look so good until I saw that one.

Comment

Am I the only one that can't get over how Z28 looks just like the V6?

i say single tailpipe and remove the z28 badges for a sleeper look.
                          they think V6 until you put the foot down lol
                          But i love how this is, in4 power upgrades
                          Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                            some inspiration...

Comment

Lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X