This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas and smogging a car for inspection / registration

Anyone have experience registering a car with normal plates or classic in Clark or Washoe county...basically the Las Vegas area. I would like to know what the process was like for emissions inspection and also registering the vehicle for the first time in the state (is it only a VIN check at the DMV or more?). I just want to know what i should expect.

I am shipping my LS1 swapped '88 944T track car from NY to the west coast. I live in San Diego and registering the car there is next to impossible as i built it with never having to pass emissions in mind. In NY i was driving to and from the track which i hoped to continue doing on the west coast. Ultimately i will start trailering to / from the track but not quite ready for that yet.

I can register the car in the Las Vegas area which is a little less strict, but the car will still need to pass emissions. I am planning on installing a less aggressive cam and a cat. converter which should get me through the emissions testing in Vegas which is just a 2-speed idle check. I dont mind putting a cat. converter on but **** to go through the trouble to swap the cam...and who doesnt like the lopey idle?? .

The car is old enough to qualify for classic registration where it would be emissions exempt; however the form explicitly states the car must contain only original parts or replacement parts that duplicate the original. Now i guess one could argue the LS1 duplicates the original turbo 4-banger (its just an engine right?) but that is a bit of a stretch. I am leaning towards going with normal registration / plates, just want to see what i should expect during the process with having it inspected and bringing it to the DMV. Or perhaps if any of you guys had experience registering engine swapped cars as classic in NV, i would love to hear about it.
    Last edited by Techno Duck; 08-26-2015, 11:02 AM.
    Jon
    '88 Guards Red 944 Turbo - Powered by 5.7L LS1
    '88 Granite Green 911 3.2L
    '03 Sapphire Black Metallic E39 540i/6 M-Sport

Las Vegas is very chill with registering a car. As long as it passes smog they dont care lol same goes with cops. If it does come down to having it inspected, half if not all the dmv employees are idiots, so they will either just completely deny you registration or pass you. Try to smog it first and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuervo666 View Post
      Las Vegas is very chill with registering a car. As long as it passes smog they dont care lol same goes with cops. If it does come down to having it inspected, half if not all the dmv employees are idiots, so they will either just completely deny you registration or pass you. Try to smog it first and go from there.
      Yeah, it cool to register your car in Las Vegas, however, i guess not when you are going to move to NY. And about officers, when they stop you, you may have some problems with that you are living in one place and your car registered in another, but other than that is ok
      Katerin Stone, proficient consultant on essaytrust.org

Comment

Working...
      X