Captain's Benz S124

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain's Benz S124

I just recently understood that a w201 didnt have the space i need in a DD. Half a year with the 190e and now it seems like its being picked up next week or so.

A little about me. As for now im an apprentice as an industrial mechanic. Have had a few cars, but i began with a Hilux (and a few more after that) when i got my lisence. Grew up with my dad's v124 320-24v and my brothers w201 3.0-12v. Not quite sure if my taste in cars is based on genes or environment ...

The s124 was imported as a taxi from Germany in 2000. An early 1996 E300D Sportline. The engine is an OM606.910, 3.0-24v n/a diesel with 136bhp/100kW. 495k kms on the tach. As a result of this there is a rusted floor and yet more rust to find.

Plans

The plans is first of all to begin with a healthy car. Starting trouble, rust, paint, cleaning up and just make it whole again. How far i'll go is still uncertain, but om606.962 (turbodiesel) with manual pump sounds like great deal.

Comment

Progress

Rust part 1
      Leather interior
      Rust part 2

Comment

Picking it up

A coworker asked me if it was me which was looking for an estate. Had just the week earlier got closure and decided to keep the 190e past the coming winter. The guy at work told me he knew a lady wanting to sell her estate for just a small amount of money. Drove out to her, started, tried and looked at it. Gave her an offer like the value at the scrap yard and she gave in. Amazing!

While i drove it home the day after, the e-brake had to be torn out as it almost locked the rear axle a few times. An hour and shits done. Until 15mins later when a line was pumping out diesel like the Victoria Falls. Jumped in and never really get add things to the to-do list while turning the key.... nothing happens. Great ...

Picking up a car one hour away from home ending in 12 hour transportation and fixing it has to be my new personal record.

Finally at the workshop

Yup, car scrapes already
        Last edited by BrageGundersen; 07-16-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Parts vehicle

Here the other day I got a call from my brother (with the w201). He's having his eyes up for a M104 3.2-24v, and found one. An engine in a parts car, a brilliant silver s124 facelift sportline ++ called and we were in the sellers parking lot just minutes later.

Last edited by BrageGundersen; 07-17-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Realising how deep shit is

I'd better remove the rust at the beginning. Do the worst part first.

Began in the rear as it was the easiest. Found a little rust between two plates under one of the storage lids. Sanblasted and wrapped it up with paint and some layers of clear coat. Not much more left in the trunk.

Removed the seats and carpets to do the floor panels. Knew it was a little bit there too.. and boy - it was more than first enticipated. Not to bad tho.

Last edited by BrageGundersen; 07-17-2015, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Rust part 2

Forgot to take pictures of the dinal product, but the floor is now done. Had to weld a 4" crack and blow some sections.

Gave away the black texture interior to a friend and he began to change it right away and added black leather. Mine is almost complete.

Had the estate on my first spin today, and figured i have to do the rear brakes.

Comment

Service

14 days of trying it out and finding things to lay my hands on. Figured its time to begin with a good service.

Fluids and oils
                - 5L coolant consentrate
                - DOT 4 brake fluid
                - 8L 10w40 Super 2000
                - 6L ATF 220
                Mobile 1 and MB filters of course.

The oils were in good condition, but didnt do the brakes as ill change rotors and calipters first. The diesel filter will too be done while im taking the injectors.
                Last edited by BrageGundersen; 08-01-2015, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Soundsystem part 1

Two blasted speakers and a 10 year old CD player werent exactly a killer combo. I dont have the highest demands of a sound system, but it should be able to part chainsaw sounds from meows from a kitten.

Im very pleased with the filters, looks and menues of the Pioneer players, but the speakers shold deliver rich and clean sounds.

- Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB
                  - 2x Kenwood KFC-E1065 rear doors
                  - 2x Kenwood KFC-E1366 front, dashboard

Note the part I had to cut off in the dashboard, last image.

Comment

Did just come home after a trip to Nürnburgring in Germany. Holy f.. crazy down there. Oldtimer this week and McLaren trackday monday. Drove down with a jazzed E87, but it rained so much we couldnt take a spin with a few M3s at the Nordschleife. 40mph and 40m of sight.

Drove through Kassel to visit Torsten at Team Stadler Motorsport on our way home. I literally wanted to lick every car in his shop. W201amg, Evo2s, w202 dtm, w203 dtm ++

Comment

Working...
                    X