A little 127 restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little 127 restomod

Hi all. I live in Estonia and have a soft spot for 127es.
    I bought this one a year ago and since havent done much to it since. Slow and steady is my moto with this. I bought this when I was still in the army and stripped it to itīs bones within the first couple of months.
    I drove the car 150miles before the front suspension came loose and the car lost spark. So I called a relative and asked for a tow home. Tied the front suspension together with a tow rope ( I do not recommend this for anyone! ) and drove the last 40 miles like that.

When I got the car gome.

Starting the strip down.

My daily Calibra v6 in the backround.

Sold those wheels. Didnīt fancy them.

Stripped and labeled the wiring.

Donīt think Iīm going to reuse much of this.

Started to fabricate the body roller.

Yea. Totally safe way of raising the body

And we have liftoff!!

Then a couple of months passed. In between I got a new apartment, got off the army and got a new job in the city.

Between other things I found that the local brewing company Saku Õlletehas has a sponsorship option on their website so sent them a letter asking for some help finishing the 127.
    Being good people they came through with my favourite beverage:

Cheers!

Then I took the engine to work and cleaned and painted it.

Then a couple of months passed and I wanted to get the 127 to my apartment. Since the car had no axles or wheels, I had to rent a tow truck to take the body 40miles away to my city home. Lifted the car on the tow truck with my better halves brother and here it is!

I then bought a flux wire mig and got on with it. Welded the side bumper mount holes shut and started to weld a new floor.
    Iīm in the middle of making a fiberglass bonnet also cause the old steel one was too far gone.

The body roller is a very nice feature. I can roll the body to itīs side all by myself in under a minute.

The scrap pile grows by the.. min... week

Why is there foam on the floorpan? Because the sheetmetal is off an old refrigerator

Lotīs of rust still to weld up.

Iīm thinking of going in a similar route.

Have looked up suspension options and I think Iīm going to use vw golf mk3 coilovers. Nice and cheap and I already sent the rear original leaf springs to the scrapper

I wanted to run without bumpers but in Estonia we have to have them so Iīm going to fabricate them from scratch.
    I plan on keeping the original 900cc 33kw engine and running a long tubular header and a nice small k&n air filter box. The body doesnīt really weigh so Iīm not really worried about the power output. Itīs going to be a nice cheap and reliable cruiser and thatīs exactly what Iīm after.
    Last edited by FITBDD; 05-22-2016, 01:25 AM.

There is something I love about these builds that come out of post-Soviet countries. Hood rusted out? Fuck it, just make one out of fiberglass. Bumpers missing? Fuck it, just make them yourself. Floors missing? Fuck it, cut apart an old refrigerator and weld that shit to the floor.

Love it already.

Comment

i love this. especially that you are using what you have around. this is going to be awesome. good luck with this one dude.

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

nice, i like it already. Hope your new job will go well!
        i am subbed, waiting in patiance for the next update!
        GOD ONLY LOVES YOU
        WHEN YOUR CAR IS LOW AS FCK!

Project page:
        "1971 W114 230.6"

Future BagRider

Comment

Thought Iīd fire up the welder today. Did a little something..

Cut out the rot.

Old computer case.

Cut.

Draw a horse.

Dirty shoe.

Hard drive magnet to hold the piece.

Fire up the mig.

1kg roll of wire was too weak so cut the case and fit a 5kg roll.

Buzz buzz

Some grinding, some primer.

Then.. enought work for today.

Oh look. A hammer and a screwdriver.

Pow pow

Scrap.

Rust. Hole. Well..

FIN!

Comment

Welded the hole under the battery mount shut and finished welding the floor in the front. Covered the floor with a rust repellent and primer and left is as that. Pictures tomorrow.
            Well.. I did that a couple of months ago already :/ . Iīm saving money for the project but the daily calibra wanted some attention so put some money towards that.

Painted it matt gray, changed the gearbox, made a new shifter assembly, bought 18" summer wheels etc.

Also I bought a lathe.

Because of that I also bought some PA6 plastic to make bushings etc.

Got a hint that there is a red 127 70miles away from my apartment so Iīll go and have a look if itīs still there. If so then there will be some more updates soon.

Comment

Cool car, intrigued how this one will pan out.
              Keep up the good work!

Comment

The potential is strong in this one.

Comment

Found a link where somebody made wide arches out of bbq lids so tried to make one myself.

Iīm going to make the rear sections all out of fiberglass with wide arches and going to put wider arches to the front also next month.
                  I bought a sandblaster too so going to try to finish welding the floor, sandblast and paint it next month.

Comment

Spare parts!!!

New daily. 3.7 191kw Audi A8 Quattro.

Comment

Started to prep the project 127 for nosejob.

Going to finish the job when the weather is warmer and I have bought some new cutting discs. Cant find any weld through primer though.. It would surely help during this type of job.

Comment

Really, really regreting selling my last 127 which had a rust free body

New nose ready to be patched up and welded onto the yellow body. Yay..

Comment

Cut out the rot, ready for sandblasting and patching. Then fix onto the yellow 127.
                          Going to buy a cover for the car to protect it from the weather and then Iīll sandblast it entirely.
                          Weather outside is awesome for now so iīll try to finish the sills this weekend too.

My last 127 mk2. Needed a days worth of welding and a new paint but stupid me sent it to the junkyard.

Comment

Well, after reading all of this, I still have no idea what a 127 is, but I like it. Reminds me of a Starlet.

Comment

Originally posted by nishy View Post
                              Well, after reading all of this, I still have no idea what a 127 is, but I like it. Reminds me of a Starlet.
                              its an Fiat

Comment

Working...
                              X