My tC RS3 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tC RS3 Build

Hello Stanceworks. I figured I'd post up and start a thread for my tC that I'm working on and the progress that'll come along with it.

I've had the car for just over 4 years now. Really didn't like Scions before I bought it, but I fell in love with the car as soon as I drove it. Over the years I hadn't really done too much. I did the door panels in a plaid, am on my third set of headlights, and did a few minor things. This year I finally am able to add on to it to my liking.

A few months back I picked up and finished a set of retrofit headlight housings that a friend of mine starting building in 2009. Started with standard 05-07 tC headlights and put in Infiniti FX35 projectors, deleted the side markers and small 194 city lights, painted the housings, and installed an LED strip to go in place of the deleted 194. Also purchased some 5000K D2S bulbs from my good friends at Diode Dynamics to go in. All it needed was for some spots in the back to be sealed up, the LED strips wired up (I plan to change these later on), and the Subaru ballasts to be sealed up as well. After a few days of fixing up and deleting the old mess of an HID setup I had, they went in.

Next up I figured I wasn't going to do a lot else until I came across a set of BBS Style 5s (RC090) on a tC for sale page. The guy didn't finish them and sold them to me for $400 plus shipping with no hardware, just barrels, faces, and center caps. I couldn't pass up the deal. My plan on these is to refinish and clear the barrels, powdercoat the faces, and top them off with hardware from SRR in the UK.

Quick test over at my friend Harley's place. Just a little bit of buffing and rubbing compound and it shined up. Going to do a full out sand and polish thanks to the guidance of BeemerBuyer's excellent write up.

Here's a bit of the SRR hardware. I highly recommend this company out of the UK. I placed my order on Sunday night and by this afternoon, it was already at my door step. The guys over there make a hell of a product. The black wheel bolts look absolutely stunning. Good place to look up if you're in the market for BBS lips or bolts.

My final bit of my post can't be completed without going lower. The car is currently on S-Tech springs from Tein, but will soon be on a set of used K-Sport coils. I typically am sketched out about used coils, but these will be able to be cleaned up decently. Only thing I'm not sure about is that the right front is a V2, and the other 3 are V1s with newer rears. My friend Ryan had them on his tC rocking Desmond Regamasters and had no issue with dialing in the V2 vs V1s. If they don't work out, I'll just pick up a set of BCs.

That is all I have for now though. I'm going to keep updating the thread with more wheel picture progress as well as some other goodies I have planned. I know tCs don't get too much respect, but I'm going for a clean build that I can be proud of!
    Last edited by fotors3; 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM.

Can't wait to see more. Love the pearl white on the rs3's. I rarily see these compared to the other release series which is odd.
    IG: @SRTKR

Comment

Good luck refinishing those wheels. Getting the machining marks out of the lips is a real bitch.
      [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
      [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
      Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by srtkr View Post
        Can't wait to see more. Love the pearl white on the rs3's. I rarily see these compared to the other release series which is odd.
        Glad you like it! I've seen 2 others around my area, the rest are people I'm friends with on Facebook or follow on Instagram. I just thought it was a tC with a body kit before I knew what it was lol. Only 2500 made! I'm #525.

Originally posted by Robitussin View Post
        Good luck refinishing those wheels. Getting the machining marks out of the lips is a real bitch.
        It's going to be a pain but worth it. My goal is to have these babies done and mounted for my trip to Import Alliance in Kentucky - and I have just under a month. My buddy Harley and I did a few small pits with some sand paper and they are a bit of a challenge to get out.

Comment

I've always thought that for a toyota brand, scion lacked the japanese quirkiness(minus the 1st gen XB) that I would have expected out of a sporty economy car(yeah, I know the TC wasn't sold in JDM land). But then the release series 3 came out and fixed all of that hahaha. I love how good the kenstyle kit looks on the car.

Will you do anything with the taillights?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

First real update (though with lack of install photos): K-Sport Coilovers went on last night. For the most part, pretty easy install until the passenger rear. The bottom strut bolt took more than an hour to get out. It was just stuck inside of the strut bushing. I put them on there as my friend Ryan had them on, so the front camber was maxed via the top plates. The rears I also left as is as far as ride height goes. The front went a lot lower than my springs by a good amount. The rears didn't until today, when they had time to settle. Still not where I want it, but that will be good for now.

Last night:

Today after a bit of settling:

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
            I've always thought that for a toyota brand, scion lacked the japanese quirkiness(minus the 1st gen XB) that I would have expected out of a sporty economy car(yeah, I know the TC wasn't sold in JDM land). But then the release series 3 came out and fixed all of that hahaha. I love how good the kenstyle kit looks on the car.

Will you do anything with the taillights?
            This tC surprised me. Years ago I had driven a friend's automatic 09 model she bought. It was slow and boring, but roomy. I was in love with this one when I drove it. The tail lights were tinted when I bought them with vinyl overlays. They didn't look terrible but stoked to see their appearance without!

Comment

Another update! Got my faces back from powder coating. Went with what they call illusion blue with a clear top to bring out the metallic and the blue color. Some lighting, it looks pretty light. Others, it almost looks like a medium blue. Either way, I can't wait for these on the car!

From my camera:

And my girlfriend's phone: (notice the slight difference in shade)

My Muteki open-ended lug nuts also showed up. Saw a lot of reviews on them and decided to give them a try. This week's project will be polishing the lips and seeing how well I can get them to shine. A friend of mine is helping me with this project, so we decided to get various grits of sandpaper as well as compound to polish them up. Definitely will keep up on the updates as soon as I make more progress!

Comment

Huge update! The wheels and tires have finally made it on the car!

Thursday was a long day for me. Had the tires put on it by a friend before heading to another shop where my buddy Steven works at. Happens to also be a BMW shop, so I suppose I felt like at least my wheels belonged. He did the fender rolling, which turned out great. Needing to fix the bottom of the fender where it meets the side skirts, so I can reattach and bend the skirts back. Took off the coilovers, cleaned them up and adjusted them. They were definitely all sitting slightly different. That took up most of the time. By 3am, everything was completed and on. I think I plan on going lower soon, but for now this will do until I decide to adjust everything.

The 205-40-17 Toyo Extensas mounted and ready to go:

Because hover car:

About to start cleaning up the coilovers. Had to use a lot of wire wheel action, a torch, PB blaster, and anti-seize:

A few late night finished product photos:

And getting the toe dialed in today at my work. Gotta love an in-ground Hunter rack! Toe is perfect. Looks like about -4 degrees of camber all around for the most part. I think the fronts are -3.5.

Just going to change the oil and head to Kentucky for Import Alliance!

Comment

Import Alliance was an awesome event! The drive down was fairly normal, minus the torrential rain when I was within 40 minutes of the hotel on Friday evening. Saturday was hot but had a huge turn out. Parked in the regular parking, met a lot of new people, and helped a friend of ours in his Acura Vigor win the limbo contest for sedans. A local meet happened later on. Sunday I got waved into VIP parking and got to hang out inside by some of the nicer rides. Definitely gave me a lot of confidence as well as inspiration to keep going with this car of mine.

Just a few shots from my visit there:

Party at my friends' hotel:

Sunday in VIP:

Photo by Matt McHugh on Flickr

Time to figure out what I'd like to do next. I have a few things on my mind such as leather seats, short throw shifter, or maybe a nice custom air setup.

Comment

Working...
                  X