Hypothetical question on locking collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question on locking collars

So with coilovers, you have the spring, then the perch, then locking collar. Below that you have a locking collar then the lower mount.

Would it be bad to take out the lowest locking collar, spin the lower mount up (OR flip it upside down), then put the locking collar on the very bottom?

Just a random thought, wasn't sure if it messed with anything or the ability to actually "lock".

Here's a bit of a sketch I did with my BC coilovers. The locking collars for the lower mount are tapered and fit into the mount, so ideally the mount would have to be flipped.
    [IMG]Untitled by r1giles1, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by ramong24; 04-25-2015, 10:06 PM.

Silk Blue MK6 Jetta build
    Instagram: @justmarshallgiles

Not being a jerk, but why? If you remove the lower locking collar and soon the other one down it acts as a lock for both the perch and lower mount, the mount won't spin out of the bottom since its held on by the Knuckle/spindle. So really you're just making more work for yourself
    sigpic
    "how do you drive that? Does it have those lifter shocks on it like the low riders?"
    -Faithful Autozone Customer
    Make me insta famous @isupa_shaun

Comment

Like it shows in the drawing, the mounting points on the lower mount are higher on the coilover, therefore getting the car to sit lower. All *I* would do is flip the lower mount and its locking collar as shown. I just want to know if it's ill-advised, or no biggie.

Silk Blue MK6 Jetta build
      Instagram: @justmarshallgiles

Comment

Yea you can still flip the mount without worrying about the locking collar. Remove it and jam it all together after you flip the mount and boom. All the lows. Only issue may be sway bar attachments if they are located on your coil. I'm not sure what exact setup you have. Regardless tho, that locking collar can be removed and put in the tool box
        sigpic
        "how do you drive that? Does it have those lifter shocks on it like the low riders?"
        -Faithful Autozone Customer
        Make me insta famous @isupa_shaun

Comment

Working...
        X