No announcement yet.

A Bora with less stance than I want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bora with less stance than I want...

So I feel like I can finally start a thread here....
    Just ordered some lowering springs for my 04 VW Bora. They should arrive next week so I can fit next Saturday afternoon.. Back to that later...

So my names Chris and I made this account about 8 months ago when I bought a Toyota Aygo. At the time my plan was to run around in the Aygo for 6-12 months and get an E30 316 or 318.. However with the Aygo being my first car after passing my test in November I had a few knocks and dings which made me lose any sort of enthusiasm I had for the little car. So in late December I started looking for a new car.. Being 17 insurance was my main problem.. Looked for E30's and found a nicely priced well looked after car. Got an insurance quote on the 1.6 Bimmer and realised that a BMW at 17 was never going to happen.. (upwards of £3000)

I looked at lots of different cars ranging from a Hyundai Coupe 1.6 to a Mk3 Golf... However when my Dad started looking on eBay in early January he came across a VW Bora Highline. This had a full leather interior with heated seats and a 6 CD Changer.. Sounded promising but unfortunately by the time we found the car and sent the guy a message the car had sold... So the search went on, only this time we were looking solely for a Bora...

And then we found it! A Shadow Blue Metallic, VW Bora 1.6 16V Highline... Already had Mk4 Golf R32 alloys fitted (claimed to be genuine but have since found out they're very good reps) like new tires and only 69k on the clock! Looked at the guys previous listings and it turned out the car had sold 4 time before... Seemed fishy so we emailed the guy and it turned out he had been let down 4 times...

The car had been advertised the first time in late November with this guy wanting to move abroad and had no need for the car anymore. As it turned out he had already moved and really wanted the car gone, so we put in a really cheeky offer of £1800 (After previously selling for £2300) and he accepted with no fuss! Sorted the insurance and took a long drive to Kent, 2 and half hours away from home...

When we got there and set eyes on the car it was in a bit of a sorry state, parked up and left for the 3 months... Filthy with a flat battery... Jump started it, took it for a spin and decided to take it! Paid for the car, taxed it and off we went on the long journey home...

On the way back we decided to stop at some services for lunch... Parked up and when we returned there was a beast parked behind us!

Mine and Dads car at the services:

Got home and had to give her a clean!

Looks lovely! Its just a shame about the "Bora 1.6" Badge on the boot... So the next day I looked up a tutorial online and set to work removing the badges...

Much better!

So I'd had the car a few weeks now and decided to try out a can of Black Rubber Paint similar to Plastidip I had lying around... Was thinking about doing the VW Badges but I kinda like the shiny chrome look... So I did a wheel to see how it would look...

Decided I kinda liked it but after looking at it for a while it made the car look like it was sitting even higher than before and you lost the amazing looks of the R32 Alloys.

A few weeks on from then I finally had a day free to go and do a proper photo shoot... So I cleaned her up nice and shiny and headed out.

Looked lovely and was happy with how she was...

After a few more weeks I could hear the exhaust getting louder and louder and diagnosed a blow in the rear system. So ordered a cheap OE replacement and set to work fitting it on the driveway... Oh joy of joys....

Sounds much better now but still not perfect... Will eventually be buying a full stainless when I can afford it..

A few days later I was driving to work when a crazed Fiat driver came barreling down the middle of the country road and took my wing mirror off...

Still looks good from behind though

Got a used wing mirror and fitted it easy peasy! A quick door card off (7 screws) and a big torx screw to get the whole mirror cluster off!

Now we're nearly up to date...

Last Sunday was a big charity car meet in Andover organised by Hampshire Hot Rides. I heard about this on Facebook and decided I'd head along (my first meet) Saturday came and you may recall it was a beautiful day! Got outside at 11am and gave her a proper clean and polish... Stepped back to admire and the fogged up headlamps really let the car down.. So i decided to clean them! Had a kit already purchased and sat in the garage so I set to work..

One down and a huge improvement! Looks like new!

Quick comparison:

Before

After

Cleaned the other one and realised the car now needed cleaning again...

Much better!

Sunday came and I went along to the meet! Was great fun, convoyed up with a group of Subarus and parked next to another Bora!

That was when I decided it needed more lows...
    So tonight I ordered some Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs which should lower the car about 30mm on the front and 30mm on the rear so a nice drop all round... Also ordered are new Strut top mounts and bearings, a new dogbone mount and drivers side driveshaft.

The reason for the driveshaft is because the CV Boot has split and allowed small rocks and water to get inside and now every time I turn the wheel a horrible noise comes from the driveshaft/cv joint area, so hopefully that will fix that...

Going to a VW meet in Reading on the Sunday the 29th so hopefully it does all arrive so I can get it all fitted before then...

Going to use the ramps at work (BMW Garage) next Saturday so hopefully everything arrives by then!

I also ordered are some Pioneer speakers for the front doors last week which should arrive tomorrow... pictures to come!
    Last edited by e30chris; 04-07-2015, 03:57 PM.
    Slowly modifying a VW Bora to my taste...
    sigpic

So I got my speakers on Friday and today I set about getting them fitted...

First I cut out some spacers from MDF, then wired it up and fixed it all together... Sounds easy right? Well it wasnt... haha all done now and the sound quality is amazing!

Unforturantly the covers provided didn't fit on the doorcards so I just kept the originl ones..

All done!

That's it for now but ill have another update next weekend with picutres of my new springs!
    sigpic

Comment

Real nice start mate, looking forward to seeing this low. You got any plans for the wheels or you keeping the R32s?

Comment

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
        Real nice start mate, looking forward to seeing this low. You got any plans for the wheels or you keeping the R32s?
        Thanks I can't wait either! I'm going to keep the R32s for now and probably upgrade to some 3DSM 0.01s or whatever comes up on eBay at the time lol
        sigpic

Comment

So... I got low!

This is the day after fitting so the springs haven't settled yet...

Heres a quick before/after:

Ordered my front bumper lip so will be fitting that next!
          Last edited by e30chris; 04-07-2015, 03:56 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Got my sticker!

Gave her a quick wash as well seen as it wasn't raining..

So yeh.. just a small update seen as my lip hasn't arrived yet

Will be back soon!
            sigpic

Comment

It has arrived!

So my front bumper lip has arrived and I will hopefully be installing tonight!
              sigpic

Comment

So.... I got the old one off (eventually) and mounted up the new one:

And as expected it didn't fit..
                I was told it would need modifying to fit however I thought that would require a few clips trimming and it would fit. This is not the case... I will have to make new holes on my bumper, trim some clips from the new lip and remove some clips from the new lip... Its now nearly 10pm so I'm calling it a night and ill modify and fit the new one asap!

Thanks for reading and a new update will definatly be here by the weekend!
                sigpic

Comment

Nice, but instead of new wheels, I would prefer some coilovers to get it more low. Prices are 200€ and up for a set of coilovers.

Comment

+1 on more lows

Comment

So... The splitter didn't fit at all so I'm trying to get hold of a 4 Motion front splitter..

In reply to 'more lows' I would love more lows but I need to save more money as im skipping coilovers and going for either Hydros or Air!
                      sigpic

Comment

hydro hydro hydro hydro

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

I found someone selling a front lip for a 4motion on Saturday! I found out he lived 2 and half hours away so I said i'd come pick it up on Sunday.. Then found out he had a rear V6 bumper!

Woke up early on Sunday got in the car and took the long trip.. Stopped in some services and was greeted by a lovely E30 Vert:

Got there eventually and picked up both bumpers.
                          Only problem was that the front lip was in Lazer Blue (Bright Blue)... So when I got home I sanded it back and gave it a quick coat of matte black.

2 hours later I was headed off to a meet so I fitted it and left... The meet was great, just a small meet of car guys in the area with a few nice cars.

Heres how the new lip looks!

I personally love the way it looks and I cant wait to fit the rear one!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30chris View Post
                            In reply to 'more lows' I would love more lows but I need to save more money as im skipping coilovers and going for either Hydros or Air!
                            I'm more than happy with this response
                            I've heard bad things about the hydro ride quality, so you might want to obviously look into that when doing all that shazzam

Comment

So its been a while and im back with an update!

Got some new pedals!

Love the way they look, a complete transformation to the interior!

I went to Castle Combe's Spring Action Day on Saturday and took some pictures of my car...

I found another Bora with a rub strip that im completely in love with!

Im currently toying with ideas on how to get mine to look like that...

Also bought a strut brace!

Just mounted up for now as i'm going to have to drill holes in the body... :/

Thanks for reading
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X