First car/ first build!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First car/ first build!!

So im 16 years old and after very long months of searching i found a 5 speed mk4 jetta and purchased it with 154k miles and for $3500. Needs some touching up and could use some new suspesion! That is the first thing I would like to replace and I figured, if im going to get new suspension and i have plans on being lower? Why dont i just buy coilovers? Well the problem is, i work at a pizza shop part time and absolutely dont have money for expensive coilovers. As far as my suspension goes right now, the struts are almost completely blown to the point of it feels like its doing damage when i hit a bump or something. So they most defiantly need to be replaced. So i was looking at raceland coilovers for 370 bucks and i have heard some nasty things about them. Keep in mind im a kid and ride quality is a huge issue to me. Aslong as the coilovers aren't doing damage to my car i could care less. I dont plan on going extremely low as i live in Pennsylvania and its the middle of winter right now... I do want to eliminate some wheel gap then eventually move on to some nice wheels and some sort of fitment. But if you guys could help me out on my coilovers. Please if you are here just to **** on raceland dont reply, i would only like previous owners of raceland coilovers or have ridden in them. Thanks guys

I'm not familiar with those coilovers but I've learned to do it right the first time. 370 bucks for coilovers sounds cheap. Save up some more money and get some good stuff. I'm a kid just like you and work part time as well. I understand the economic struggle. Lol. It will be worth your while if you save up. Anyways, I'm excited to see what you have in store!

Comment

Racelands arent terrible but they arent great either. Decent economy coilover. All my friend have them. But since you drive a mk4 jetta, i know itll end up on racelands, they shoudve just came with them stock lolol

Comment

i have racelands on my MK5 jetta. had them on for like 2 years now. the fronts are spun all the way down. never had any problems with them. like grayling said, they arent bad, but they arent great. for the money, they are great. if you want new suspension and can't afford nicer stuff, get racelands. if you decide you don't like them, sell them and buy different ones when you can. you can always resell your old parts.

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

Hey man I remember you from your intro thread...research what you want to consider buying because if your a baller which I obviously know you aren't because I'm not and I'm 18 and work at taco bell...used to be on that pizza grind aswell lol. But I always was told to get the best koni+GC but I didn't have 800-900 to drop on suspension yet. Just consider what you need if you want to slam it it doesn't matter if you want drop plus comfort that obviously is gonna be more.

Moral of the story is that start out with something decent and decently priced and work your way up by saving for something better. Too me personally, my own opinion, I don't want to spend on something I will never use to its fullest capabilities. So ask yourself do you really need all of what your buying and are you gonna use it.

Comment

I absolutley dont have any more than 500 to spend on coilovers, i also dont really want to immediatley slam my car, im still learning to drive/drive stick/ dodge potholes as it is. I definitely want to eliminate some wheel gap, but i dont have the time or knowledge to roll my fenders or anything like that.

Comment

I hear you man just look for some wheels that don't have super low offset and don't drop the car too much. You gotta really determine what drop you want because there's multiple ways of accomplishing it. You could be ghetto and cut coils of the springs which isn't really recommended haha. You can buy struts and coilover sleeves or struts that are adjustable with lowering springs or sleeves or you could do full body coilovers. Just food for thought. Just get a feel for what's out there and don't try and find the perfect setup for your first setup because everybody likes different stuff. Gl man.

Comment

I would go with Racelands *ducks for throwing chairs*. But since you're on a budget racelands would be the way to go as far as im concerned. Also if you could post pics of the car it would make this thread like a billion times better.

Comment

what he said^^^

Comment

yeah racelands are the way lol

Comment

http://https://www.tumblr.com/blog/seanyo0

Comment

Comment

Not sure if that worked at all lol
                          Follow @seanyo0 and get more of the good stuff by joining Tumblr today. Dive in!

Comment

Originally posted by smarty98 View Post
                            Not sure if that worked at all lol
                            https://www.tumblr.com/blog/seanyo0
                            Quick tip on posting pictures:

When posting pictures copy the image URL and paste it in between image tags

[IMG]*yourpictureurl.com*[/IMG]

Ill do the first two for you

Hope this helps.

Comment

Lol sweet thanks dude

Comment

Working...
                              X