a swagged out automatic volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a swagged out automatic volvo

Hey SW, I posted in the intro thread section a while back about my Volvo and Subaru and I thought I'd make a build thread for the Volvo.

This story began when I was hungover checking Craigslist one Sunday morning in December. For the past year I've been looking through Craigslist every week or so just checking up on the Volvo's for sale. Back in September I finally had the money to buy one and had my eye on a manual wagon from Louisville. I was too late and someone else bought it before I had a chance to look. Same scenario happened again earlier on in December. So one morning I just woke up and checked while laying in bed and found a decent looking 242 in Fort Wayne, IN. I live in Indianapolis so it wasn't too far away to get up and go check it out.

This was my 07 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (now back to stock and for sale) a few months ago after I had finished all my plans for it. I wanted something else to work on and plan for, and I always had an old Volvo in mind.

My friends didn't quite feel the same about old Volvo's, but I loved them for some odd reason. I texted the owner immediately and after talking for a few hours and receiving a ton of pictures, I was on my way up with a buddy to check it out.

We got there around 7 pm so I only got to see it under the light of the owner's garage, but right away I fell in love.

After a quick little test drive, I decided I had to take it home with me. Started up fine right away, brakes were good but screechy, the transmission shifted smoothly, and even the fancy crank windows worked.

At the gas station I could see the roughness of the exterior start to come out. It sat around most of it's life until it was sold in an estate auction in early 2014. The clear coat on all horizontal surfaces except for most of the trunk was completely gone. The tint was all nasty purple and the dash was cracked to shit. (thanks for the dash cover, previous owner!) Rust holes were forming behind the rear wheels too.

I was super pumped about the blowout on the way home in 20 degree weather, so pumped that my friend and I took our time and got everything back together in 3 hours! It sure is fun being on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere, with the closest autozone 30 minutes away. Didn't have a jack, spare tire didn't have air, didn't have a lug wrench, and bought some of the wrong tools during one of our many trips to the store. Lesson learned: prepare a little bit better

Finally got the turd home at 1 am. That is my good friend Adrien_M5 who I cannot thank enough for helping me out so much that night.

The interior was in pretty decent shape aside from being filthy and disgusting. It took a few hours to shampoo the carpet and seats, vacuum the cigarette ash and dead bugs out, and wipe everything down but it made a huge difference.

Unfortunately the radio bezel was broken due to being brittle and old and because the previous owner's girlfriend dropped a car seat on it. The radio was taken out for a new one to be installed but as you can see that never happened. I do have the original radio laying around though and a new bezel to put in.

I got a better look at the rust, holes have formed on both sides of the bottom of the rear quarter panels. Luckily it's the only rust on the car. To temporarily fix it and stop water from getting into the trunk, I put some duct tape over the holes and sprayed down some flex-seal. It worked fine and is still holding, and eventually I'll fix it properly.

Over the next few days the car went through some intensive cleaning and polishing. Adrien_M5 did an awesome job cleaning up the engine bay while I was away at work. The roof looked a million times better after using polishing compound and a coat of wax.

The ugly purple tint took me hours and hours to peel off, it was horrible but it looks way better.

Yellow high beams and the ever so swaggy spare tire!!!

A couple days later I went out and bought all new tires so the car would be a little more safe to drive. Soon after Adrien_M5 and I cut the springs and that brings us to the current state:

I'll be slowly making progress turning this turd into less of a turd and learning a bunch along the way, stay tuned (it'll be cooler soon I promise)

Details:
    1981 Volvo 242 DL
    3 speed automatic
    B21 engine
    85,XXX original miles
    I am the 3rd owner

TLDR VERSION:

I bought an old Volvo 242 off Craigslist and its not too bad.
    Last edited by ethangram; 02-16-2015, 12:33 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Instagram: @ethangram

Subie looks (looked?) clean. The volvo looks like it'll be a fun project. Nice pickup.

Comment

I liked the subie, definitely in for the Volvo!

'07 Audi A3 3.2Q

Comment

by how much did you cut the springs on the vo? i like it!
        instagram - ianstough
        Strange Dreams e36 http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=74787

Comment

Love the volvo! Hope to see more content soon

Renato
          Team TWM Performance
          TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by esomethingian View Post
            by how much did you cut the springs on the vo? i like it!
            sorry for the late response, but 2 coils on the front and about one and a half in the back. Dropped it maybe 2-4 inches, I'm not sure I haven't measured lol
            2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Hahaha, the "tl;dr" at the end was pretty good.

Looks like you're doing the right steps, looking forward to more progress.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

same to me,I liked the subie, definitely in for the Volvo!

Comment

from the title of this thread, i had no hope. but it looks sweet!

Instagram: ian_ballzz

e30 build thread

Comment

The coupe is the best looking volvo 240 out the litter. Good luck.
                    Follow on IG
                    amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                    Vintage AME Wheels
                    RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                    W115 & W123

Comment

Thanks everyone!

an update on the car: its been sitting in a storage lot for the past 3 weeks since its been so terribly cold lately and the heater hardly works. Right before I parked it, the power steering belt came off because a pulley broke, so I temporarily won't have power steering until I find a new pulley. This weekend it'll finally be warm enough to cruise around and work on it, hopefully it starts right back up.

I haven't been working on it nearly as much as I should be, I have very limited free time due to work and school. I've also been caught up with my other "build"; I bought a new DD (06 wrx wagon) that I'm in the process of swapping everything over from the impreza (see beginning of thread), and I just finally got the old one sold.

So stay tuned, I have a couple plans in store for this old turd.
                      2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

I put some new rear brake pads on to replace the screechy old ones and took it out for a drive afterwards. Later that night it started acting up, seeming like the more I drove it, the less it wanted to start back up. I left it sitting for 4 weeks in the cold and it fired up with no hesitation, but after driving for a while in warmer weather and parking it, it struggles to start back up later.
                        2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

The volvo looks like it'll be a fun project. Nice pickup.

Comment

Hey SW, BIG update here after many, many months of no progress.

So to start it off, back in May I moved from Indianapolis, IN to Bradenton-Sarasota FL. The Volvo remained in Indiana temporarily because it would cost too much to ship down. So I drove my other car down and started saving up some money so I could tow it down later on. So for months the car sat in a storage lot, occasionally checked on by friends and borrowed by them for about a month straight. I was happy to hear the car handed all that driving well, it didn't have any problems though it started to start and idle rough. Also, the rotted out exhaust had finally broken while a friend was on the freeway. He just had a buddy weld it back together and all was good.

I came back to visit in August and the car was still acting up on cold starts. For months now I had been talking to the previous owner about selling the car back to him, and the weekend I was back, he flaked. So I made a little for sale sign as a half assed attempt and took it to cars and coffee, where it actually got a significant amount of attention. Shortly after, I decided I would rather keep it and see where the build takes me.

I had a mini photoshoot before catching a flight back home, and on my way to drop the car off at storage the exhaust had broken. Again.

The y-pipe was so rotted out that it broke again right where it was welded, right before the flange on the cat. Every bump I hit I was worried it would catch on the ground and bend under the car or get ripped off.

*fast forward to late December 2015*

My dad and I made the drive from Florida to Indiana to pick up the Volvo and bring it home. It had been sitting in the cold for months but still started up, just not that easily.

We had to use a tow strap to hold up the exhaust just to even get it on the trailer lol

Two days later and it arrived in Florida and the exhaust was removed before the car even left the trailer.

Doge Approved

Since February there was no power steering or ac in the car. The pulley broke and now, 11 months later I finally found the right part to fix it. The car felt so much different with power steering, now it actually drives nicely.

I took the car on its maiden voyage in Florida with no issues. Filled up on gas and drove for about an hour. Sure I was deafened (no exhaust at all) but I was at least having fun. I do really need to get the ac working before it warms back up though.

So now the car spends most of its time in the garage while I wait on parts and fix it up. A new exhaust should be here next week so pretty soon I'll be able to cruise around in it every day like I used to. I do have plans to replace the valve cover gasket, in-tank fuel pump, fuel filter, try and restore the interior a little, hook up the radio, replace the blower motor & get the ac going, and eventually fix the rust and repaint the car.

To anyone that knows these cars better than me: I may have some questions for you sometime soon lol

TL;DR version:
                            i moved, volvo stayed. 7 months later i towed it down. exhaust is broken. today i put a sticker on it.
                            Last edited by ethangram; 01-14-2016, 05:28 PM.
                            2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

btw if anyone has advice for me on my rough idle/startups please enlighten me lol

The car WILL start, but almost immediately dies the first two times (depending on how long it has sat) and will struggle to idle until it warms up. Since I believe it's a fuel pump issue I keep the tank full and it doesn't give me as much trouble but it'll still struggle on cold starts. Once its warmed up and driving, its fine. Some sputtering when accelerating from a stop though.

I know the in-tank fuel pumps in these cars are known to fail, so that's what I'm assuming has happened. I obviously would like to check the simpler stuff first before I go spending money though.

Today I looked at the fuses again. I replaced the in-tank fuel pump fuse and main fuel pump fuse (red one with the burn mark next to it.) The old fuses were fine, but the connection to the main pump fuse seemed a little corroded, plus there was that burn mark which has been there for a long time. I wonder if that could be the cause? I cleaned the connection and put in new fuses but I haven't started the car back up yet. I checked the pump relay and opened it up and everything looked fine. So if not the fuses, that might narrow it down to the in-tank pump...

If that doesn't fix it I don't really know what will at this point. If anyone has advice on what to do or what else to check, it would be appreciated!
                              2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X