Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mk4 GTI from Downunder (contains Ferrari parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk4 GTI from Downunder (contains Ferrari parts)

It's been a while since I've had anything to actually post in here, but figure since the installation of some coilovers, maybe it was time to sort my shit out and post in here again.

The last six months of my life have been very, interesting to say the least. I upped and moved from little old Adelaide to the big city of Melbourne and basically had my life fall apart.

I got rid of my little green car Anja and purchased this Mk4 GTI. Her name is Lucy, but I don't usually call her by name anymore, someone said it was a little stupid and I took it to heart.

Anyway, I purchased the GTI when it had 204,485km on the clock to be exact. Since then I've done numerous road trips to and from Adelaide and have racked up the kilometers on the car. I did one road trip back to Adelaide without my first modification (an Alpine head unit) and it almost killed me.

So, as soon as I got back, I went and installed an Alpine head unit so I could listen to real music.

IMG_1232 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

And here she was in all her stock height glory.

IMG_1197 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I had a few hiccups along the way. I blew up my gearbox, so that was an expensive lesson learnt on why you shouldn't do burnouts to get your anger out or race people off the line every time possible.

I basically replaced it with a second hand gearbox, lightened flywheel and a Stage II clutch setup from ECS tuning. I then proceeded to remove the badges off of the rear so that no one knows it is a GTI (sneaky sneaky).

IMG_1230 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

That brings us to today, fast forwarding a good five months through the journey. After a few hiccups with the coilovers (wrong ones were sent out first round), I finally got the chance to install my BC BR Racing coilovers. This is how she sits now on all her stock wheel goodness.

IMG_1212 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_1222 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_1224 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_1227 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Rumour has it that I already have wheels for the car, as well as adapters to suit. However I had another issue (sounds like she really doesn't want to be modified doesn't it?) where the studs on the adapters were too short and I was unable to get any thread through the wheels.

Anyway, this evening I found some studs that will work for the application that I need and ordered them. Hopefully I should have them come Thursday. Then I just have to get the current studs in the adapters pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I test fitted the front adapter for shits and giggles this evening.

IMG_1208 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Adapter specs are pretty stupid, the fronts are 29mm and the rears are 38mm. I'll give you all a hint on the wheel specs before adapters.

PCD: 5x108
    Front Specs: 17x7.5" + 49mm
    Rear Specs: 17x9" +68mm

So, with the adapters they will sit at +20mm and +30mm, which from a few calculations should be quite close to perfect. However, being seventeens I'm going to have to lower her a lot more before she sits how I want her too.

Regardless, I'll grab some photos during the week of the wheels and will keep this thread up to date with what's going on. Hopefully within the next fortnight I'll have the wheels mounted and the fitment dialled in.
    Last edited by P78; 02-13-2015, 02:58 AM.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Alright, quick update.

Extended studs arrived today (a whole two days early) which means I should have the adapters sorted by the weekend!

This means, you guessed it, wheels should be fitted Saturday/Sunday and fitment dialled in. Keen as a bean.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Comment

Looks good, has potential... I'm in for more.
      Mkv Gti
      Instagram: FuzzyDice_emanyankee

Here's my build thread

Comment

Dropped new studs and adapters off tonight, not sure when I'll get them back but seriously hoping before the weekend. We will see what happens though.
        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
        there there.

Comment

Doesn't look like I'll have the adapters back for the weekend which kind of sucks.

Hopefully my CAI arrives next week. I've also contacted someone selling illuminated Mk4 Bora vents. A very subtle but super nice interior upgrade.
          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out man. What are you plans to overcome clearance issues with the front swaybar on the drive shaft?

Comment

We'll see how we go when I lower it more with the wheels on it.

If I do run into issues, either I'll remove the sway bar or I'll get the drop endlinks, it all depends on how much clearance I'm actually going to need up front.
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                We'll see how we go when I lower it more with the wheels on it.

If I do run into issues, either I'll remove the sway bar or I'll get the drop endlinks, it all depends on how much clearance I'm actually going to need up front.
                If you plan on getting low on 17s I'd say you'll need to do one of the things you've mentioned. I had drop links but still experienced issues so I ended up giving it the chop.

You planning on getting the wheels on this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by dartology View Post
                  If you plan on getting low on 17s I'd say you'll need to do one of the things you've mentioned. I had drop links but still experienced issues so I ended up giving it the chop.

You planning on getting the wheels on this weekend?
                  Well, no adapters today otherwise the wheels would have gone on. However, I still jumped out into the car park and adjusted my dampening to ten from full stiff (20 clicks from softest setting).

So while I was out, I got around the wheel with one arm and sussed the clearance between the sway and the drive shaft. Holy fuck you're not wrong, it is super close (about a fingers width) already, and I'm going to need to go about 30-40mm lower, so I'm definitely going to have to remove the sway.

Might look into how difficult it is etc and do some research before attempting to put the wheels on. If it is easy enough, I might do it before I do the wheels.
                  Last edited by SebastienPeek; 02-06-2015, 04:00 AM.
                  1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                  there there.

Comment

Did some quick research, in the interim I can just unbolt the end links and push it upwards. Long term solution is to purchase a Hotchkis under axle sway bar setup and install that.
                    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                    there there.

Comment

Seb I've got some adjustable end links you can have, at least you can try them before you shell out for a new swaybar. Also I had the whiteline sway (also under-axle) in mine and it rubbed on the lca, just something to look into.

Comment

Thanks Anth, I sent you a pm in regards to the end links!

So, since the last update I've taken the Golf for a few spirited drives and have noticed that handling has greatly improved despite the lack of tread up front. She points a hell of a lot better.

All being well, the adapters should be received some time this week and my CAI should arrive some time too. I'm hoping I can have everything installed by next weekend where I can then fine tune the fitment and remove the sway bar if the adjustable end links don't give me enough clearance.
                        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                        there there.

Comment

I did a thing tonight. After many hassles I finally picked up the newly extended studded adapters. Alas, I went to test fit on a wheel and it fowled.

I rage quitted of sort and went and spent a good hour long session at the gym. When I got home, I figured I'd give it another shot. With some persuasion, the adapters worked a charm.

So, I figured before I'd shower and clean all the gym sweat off, I'd go and fit the wheels finally. An hour later, everything was sorted. Somewhat.

IMG_1238 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Yep, original Ferrari 348 wheels. However, if you didn't notice, in the photo above I put the rear wheels on the wrong side. It took me until I took the photo above to realise, then my OCD went into overdrive and I just had to fix it. Twenty minutes later she looked much better.

IMG_1240 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_1242 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The spokes are slightly off rear to front, so I will adjust that and make sure it is perfect when I park on both sides. I just think they have to be line up perfect when rotational wheels. My OCD again maybe?

Regardless, from the front she is looking much fatter.

IMG_1243 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I'll have to figure out why the drivers side wheel sits in a tiny bit compared to the passenger side, but that is minor problem when the big problem here is the holy mother of God wheel gap I currently have.

I'll hopefully get out there and wrench a bit (difficult in apartment carpark space) and lower the car a good two inches up front and a good three/four at the rear. Hopefully that goes a lot smoother.
                          Last edited by SebastienPeek; 02-10-2015, 07:08 AM.
                          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                          there there.

Comment

haha that ocd...you must be taking over for tranz?

looking schmick though mate

on its guts for the sluts
                            Like a glove

Comment

looking good seb. now you can't do burnouts if you want the spokes to always line up!

Comment

Working...
                              X