The Ugly Duckling 1976 280z 2+2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ugly Duckling 1976 280z 2+2

I bought this car for $2800 in December of 2012 when I was 16. I had the head rebuilt that next summer and then had EMUSA and McKinney Motorsports welded in by my neighbor. I took off the rear bumper and ran it like that for a long time because I had no money to spend on it.

The interior has always been pretty clean. I turned myself a wood shift knob on my lathe to mix things up.

I ended up selling those wheels and was just recently able to afford some 15x10 -25 steelies, jpn garage flares, and some 225/50/15s. The fronts went on pretty quickly with no big issues for having no experience. I'm currently putting the rears on and going to get some extra clearance out of the fronts

How the front sits right now. Want to go lower and get a BRE chin spoiler and maybe a fiberglass 240z bumper.
    Will draw your car!

Going to get spacers for all four corners, get rid of the other rear bumper mount, get some smaller springs so I can go lower and weld myself some tall boso pipes.

The rear inner and outer fenders got welded up by my friend today. I'd like to learn how to weld so I don't have to rely on anyone else but I'm pretty broke right now. On the way to his house the fronts were rubbing so I'm going to be cleaning those up for some more clearance as well as grinding the back fenders down. I'm going to seal the back fenders with some 3M seam sealer as well.

Here's a little doodle. Got invited to a meet on Friday so I'm going to try and get the rear all sealed up by then. I need to order nut inserts and a tool for them before I can get the rear flares on
    Will draw your car!

Comment

I dig this. Looking forward to see this project progress!

Comment

/thread this thing is no ugly ducking ;p
        why does it look so wide?! love it

Comment

I always h8ed the look of these until now!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

I decided to call her the ugly duckling because of all the **** the 2+2's get in the Z community. After getting the 15x10's on I don't understand how I was ever happy with it when it had other wheels on it.
            Will draw your car!

Comment

the 280z 2+2s are actually pretty nice, and this one is awesome. The 280zx 2+2s are the ones to be avoided.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. But I'd like someone to try and change my mind
                Will draw your car!

Comment

I love the doodle and the progress looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketSled View Post
                    the 280z 2+2s are actually pretty nice, and this one is awesome. The 280zx 2+2s are the ones to be avoided.
                    Yea no kidding...

#uglySOB

In for updates on this Duckling though!

ps: for about $100 you can get a harbor freight mig flux welder - Nothing crazy about them and you'll quickly out-grow it, but it's a cheap way to learn welding.
                    http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Ive always loved these. Subd

Comment

Ummm, I love this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                          Yea no kidding...

#uglySOB
                          That's a 2 door though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
                            That's a 2 door though.
                            I'm sure you meant 2-seater - pic of 2+2 #stillUglySOB

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                              Yea no kidding...

#uglySOB

In for updates on this Duckling though!

ps: for about $100 you can get a harbor freight mig flux welder - Nothing crazy about them and you'll quickly out-grow it, but it's a cheap way to learn welding.
                              http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html
                              I'm going to get one of those if I can't find anything cheap locally.
                              Will draw your car!

Comment

Working...
                              X