Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruining an e39 M5

What's up S|W!

My name is Adrien, been a long time lurker of S|W and decided it was time to share with you my story...

*disclaimer* most of my photos are from an iPhone, no real camera... Yet..

Ever since I was little I wanted an E39. Something about the muscular lines and presence they gave off left me drooling all over google images and BMW forums in my early teens...

Fast forward to about 5 months ago, doing my daily stroll on craigslist I come across something I've always wanted but never in my life thought I would obtain. A 2002 E39 M5 with 88k miles on the clock. Mechanically it needed a clutch. Cosmetically it needed work... oxidized headlights, paint was a wreck, surface rust appearing on the rear arches, very filthy and just all around neglected.

The once german super sedan now sat decaying as time went on, and I knew I had to pull the trigger.. Instantly hitting up the seller and met with him the next day. Within a few hours of overlooking the car, driving and haggling on price... I went home owning a car I've always wanted.

Pictures from the ad:

The neglected engine bay that houses the monster S62

Basic pictures right after I took ownership:

Dirty, tired looking exterior

Ruined ass front wheel from not being taken care of... All the powder coat is chipped/flaked off

Yeah yeah plasti dip is high school... Whatever temporarily fixed the wheels with a quick coat so I wasn't to be accused as the one who neglected it... looks kinda sinister tho if you ask me

First things that needed addressing was a good wash and wax. Doing such a small thing like that brought this thing back pretty quick. My buddy happened to be there and snapped a few shots...

Happy squeaky clean S62

The next thing that needed addressed was the original clutch that was on its last leg, any time you wanted to give it any throttle it slipped. So off I went to my buddies shop, Indy DIY garage and we threw it up on a lift and I started the tear down process.... This is my first E39 as well as ///M car so it was safe to say I was a little intimidated by all the engineering the Germans put into these cars, but it ended up being very forgiving and quite an easy job.

Coming out....

Old trashed clutch

Going back in..

Works good now

Next up on the list was to try and revive the oxidized headlights... I was on the fence to restore or buy new ones... Glad I tackled the job myself and saved some money.
    Pulled them out...

Sanded the ever living hell out of them... No turning back now..

And polished/buffed out

Came out looking brand new..

Finally was able to really dissect the car and give it a good detail, the interior speaks for itself

Got the bay clean and took the lid off the S62... If this doesn't give you a chub you've got issues

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF!!!! After having the car all sorted out mechanically and having it at least presentable, I started looking for wheels. I first started off looking for style 5's but wanted something more simple. I know most of you are against rep wheels but in all honesty I could give a damn if they are real or not.... I just want something that looks good, and if I destroy one on a curb or pothole (which will happen in indiana/Illinois area I live in) who gives a fuh, just buy another! Anyway pulled the trigger on my buddy Narvin's set up off his E39. Super clean and got a great deal on them (thanks Narvin).. Enough with the jabbering... On to pics

Threw on a fat ass adapter and bolted them up

Sorry for bad lighting, only have time to turn wrenches at night. Bought some Motorsport hardware neochrome lug nuts to tie it together. They are very nice quality pieces.

Once the coils come in, the lows will tuck these nicely with 3-4 degrees of camber

Then I noticed how shitty the stock rotors looked behind the new wheels so I took a little visit over to Adams rotors and waited paitiently for 3 weeks to get the heavy packages in the mail. Here's what they contained...

They look to be of extremely high quality, just waiting on the warm weather to put them on...

As for now, that is where the story ends... Waiting on coil overs and moving to California in about a month. Until we meet again S|W.....

RACE KOR
    Last edited by Adrien_M5; 01-12-2015, 01:49 AM. Reason: Pics
    sigpic
    E39 M5 | Jet Black | S62 | 6MT
    instagram: @adrienbroome

The S62 is hands down the best sounding V8 ever. Put an exhaust on that ASAP.
    IG: @dubsesed

"All is fair in love and low"

Lowered Values

PVW 5/15

Comment

Originally posted by mrkrinkle View Post
      The S62 is hands down the best sounding V8 ever. Put an exhaust on that ASAP.
      I've got a muffler delete set up sitting in the trunk, just need the time to go get it welded on.
      sigpic

Comment

I hope you got that for a steal!

Subbed
        1981 300TD 4 speed
        2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
        , on Flickr
        IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
          I hope you got that for a steal!

Subbed
          Yessir, he knew the low ball was coming. Took it home for about half of what it's worth.
          sigpic

Comment

Nice platform to get to play with

Comment

Car looks awesome, glad it's a stick

Renato
              Team TWM Performance
              TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wickeda4 View Post
                Nice platform to get to play with
                Lol I agree, it really is an amazing car.

Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
                Car looks awesome, glad it's a stick

Renato
                Team TWM Performance
                Thanks, me too..

Hopefully planning to get some updates in on getting the rotors installed tomorrow. Here's a boring iphone pic to keep it interesting I guess...

sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the lack of progress been busy with work mostly and getting ready for my move to California. Still haven't had time to knock out the brakes but I was able to get the exhaust done on the car and hardwire my valentine one and install some oracle LED's to replace the factory halogen angel eyes. Great improvement and definitely modernize the car a lot.

Stainless steel muffler delete. Wow. Not only is the quality of the delete excellent, but the sound.... THE SOUND. It sounds evil... Pure evil.

Dem tips.

BMW knows how to build V8's... Hats off to them. Here's a video of the sound for you to enjoy.

http://youtu.be/0jHfVG8pTLQ

In other words not much has happened. Valentine hardwire was easy. Tapped into sunroof switch above the mirror and job done. Said pics of destroying shit to get it wired in.

Probably won't get to update this much until I come home from deployment, Deployment cash will be buying my coils, procharger and hopefully getting a little paint work done.

Until then, keep it cool S|W.
                  sigpic

Comment

Good buy and great work, its coming along nicely. Coming from a 540i/6 which was decent i could only imagine the M5. Now currently at an E36 and hunting for and E46 M3, this makes me want to consider the M5 again,lol. Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by joba356 View Post
                      Good buy and great work, its coming along nicely. Coming from a 540i/6 which was decent i could only imagine the M5. Now currently at an E36 and hunting for and E46 M3, this makes me want to consider the M5 again,lol. Keep it up.
                      My parents owned a 99 540i/6, man did I love that car. Coming to an M5 is definitely a game changer. It is wicked fast for how big it is! E46 M3 is an awesome car. I'm lucky enough to have a close friend who bought one so I drive both frequently... They are both completely different cars but both will GTFD! Lol Good luck on your hunt and thank you for the kind words!
                      sigpic

Comment

Hard wiring my detector in my E39 was probably the easiest car mod I've ever done lol.

I like the vibrant tips, everybody seems to go for timmaytips.
                        1981 300TD 4 speed
                        2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                        , on Flickr
                        IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
                          Hard wiring my detector in my E39 was probably the easiest car mod I've ever done lol.

I like the vibrant tips, everybody seems to go for timmaytips.
                          I looked into getting the timmaytips but I'm glad I went with these, they fill out very well and look really sharp. Never heard of vibrant until I bought these tips... safe to say I will use them again, no doubt.

As for the valentine, yes I agree it was/is probably the easiest mod I've ever done. My hardwire kit seems to have a short in it so I will have to investigate further.

Car is being picked up here in Chicago between the 2-6th of February and being transported to San Diego where I will be stationed. Won't have much of an update until then..

Ready to be in warm weather and get out of the Midwest, been here way too long lol
                          sigpic

Comment

Love the car man! Jealous that you found a good deal on an m5, I've never seen one around me for under like 18k. Sad it's going on reps, but it's your car, and you build it for your needs
                            My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
                              Love the car man! Jealous that you found a good deal on an m5, I've never seen one around me for under like 18k. Sad it's going on reps, but it's your car, and you build it for your needs
                              Thanks!

I'll be completely honest, I bought the wheels because of how they looked on my buddies car. Kind've an impulse buy at the time, I just really loved the way it sat on them...

The future will include some real wheels, i just had to do something about these poor stock wheels on the car. I got way too good of a deal on the reps so I pulled the trigger... Plus these kind've help me get an understanding of what kind of fitment I can pull off you know? Still pretty new to all of this..

BUT, that is the point of a build thread right? Gotta start somewhere
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X