Project #4. "tiny giant" na miata journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project #4. "tiny giant" na miata journal

the miata story all started a while back in my teens making a list of the cars i would attempt to own before i was old. My friends gave me a hard time (and still do) when i mention the word miata, but the combination of rwd, lsd, and half the weight of the normal daily driver, and i knew at some point i would have one in the stable, even if only for a short while - didnt think i would fit in it comfortably enough for me to keep it being 6'3" /175lb.

October_2014 - the bmw touring went off to its new owner, and i started putting some money aside for the next daily driver / parts hauler / whatever else i needed out of a daily driver. my mind had narrowed it down to a new subaru brz or a 535xi. two completely different things but both seemed like a good thought.

looked at a 1 year old brz, made an offer, guy accepted offer... then for some reason i just didnt feel right about the purchase. so i thought it over a ton, declined and moved forward.

last week of october 2014 - took a drive out to the hamptons with the girlfriend as i had to take a few measurements at the house out there for some exterior work and decided to stay the long weekend while i was out there. might as well make a weekend of it since the house was not being rented to anyone that weekend. Little did i know, this would be a pretty funny trip.

on the way out there i was doing the normal 1 sided car discussion and I remember mentioning that since we were driving around the north and south forks "might as well keep eyes peeled for an old porsche or other cool cars" just in case as there are always older cars tucked away there and with some discussion any of those cars could be purchased even if not for sale.
    little did i know my girlfriend and I would be taking separate cars home that weekend haha.

9pm saturday driving around after grabbing some food. good day at the wineries, overall good quick trip so far. driving down some unnamed road with no where near enough street lights, and i see a white miata sitting on the grass in front of a beautiful house sort of aimed toward the street. I cruised by and stared for a second and the car looked brand new for some reason. most seem like panels are falling off from rust and tops are torn etc. but this one seemed like it came off a showroom floor. decided to turn around after a quick discussion and said "this may be the next car purchase"

turns out it was.. '93 white/tan 1.6 5 speed 1 owner (75yo lady) and this is the best part. 40k original miles, original everything, not a scratch on the car as it had been garaged since new. The car was their "hamptons car" and it was basically driven for about 1 month out of each year, and garaged the rest of the year at the house. Apparently her daughter used to pick the woman up from the LIRR train station in it, she used the car for the next few weeks, and back in the garage it went.. since '93 lol

the dealings sunday morning were hilarious with the very nice old lady, wound up taking out the cash that day, driving without plates to the house we were at, and then driving it home that monday night on the way home from the long weekend. The best part is that the old woman just kept asking me if i knew it was a manual transmission and if i knew how to drive it. haha

first thing i did was get it up on some stands to check everything out.

underbody doesnt have any rust or damage, pinch welds are clean as if its never seen a jack, and the suspension bushings look great. not that this really matters cause you know the suspension is the main thing getting upgraded

obligatory first real viewing of the engine bay in sunlight.

shocked once i saw it in the sun how clean everything in there was. there isnt a drop of grime on just about anything. all of the plugs, wires, wiring looks brand new, not a drop of oil on a single thing in there either. i guess its been a very soft 40k over the past 22 years..

interior before the seats came out and everything was looked over and scrubbed

more to come
    Last edited by 1badg35; 12-26-2014, 05:09 PM.
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

so, a good cleaning wasnt really necessary, but i had the itch to prep it for winter anyway since its december. I also noticed in the first two months that there were a few things id change to better the driving experience since ill be putting in a lot of seat time in this thing all year long..

bolt in cage necessary
    suspension upgrades are a must for spring
    15x8 or 8.5 all around with beefy tires are a must

and then a few things ive already started collecting below

- miatas wont make it through the cold months without one of these... a hardtop. met up with a nice gentleman in NJ that was selling his red miata and didnt mind parting with his mint hardtop so i handed him a small pile of cash, and we popped it onto the car. Got super lucky and scored the combo i was looking for - '91 hardtop with no headliner and no defrost. the simpler the better in my book.

oh yeah did i say the top was red... that needed to get sorted (picture to follow gotta look for it) placeholder for now

so dropped it off at my friends shop for some prep and paint and a few days later it got put back on in the freezing rain and snow.

that night was a disaster. 2 hours of putting seals back on, getting the mounts all sorted, and onto the car all while its snowing and freezing in the driveway cause the project cars filled the garage spaces...

in the sun - dont mind the dirt

oh had to put some new blizzaks on the oem wheels if i expect to get through this winter. 195/65/14 i believe they wound up being

----
    back to the interior. so far ive noticed a few things about the interior while at the drivers seat. and most of these will be discussed and sorted out before spring:

-the interior is super simple and thats great. love everything about it
    -its far larger than the audi tt i had and that was a much bigger car overall.. very happy to say the least as i strongly dislike the feeling of being cramped in a car. this has no such issues even being as small as it is. i will own this car for far longer because of this.
    -the oem cup holder location might be the dumbest thing ive ever seen...
    -the sad excuse for visors have to go
    -the seats are too squishy and not low enough
    -the 4 post steering wheel sucks. its just not comfortable while driving and not friendly while beating on the car at all

so here come some of the interior upgrades as they happen

scored a super rare oem eunos wheel from japan. had it here in 4 days for cheaper than i could ship something from cali to NY.

got my hands on the very necessary hard top permanent mounts from rennline and the visor deletes. was going to model the visor deletes in solidworks and 3d print them on my machine, but decided the 12$ they cost wasnt worth my time

door sills. going to fabricate a set similar to this and shoot them in a textured black

seats... to be discussed shortly once they arrive

--
    Last edited by 1badg35; 12-26-2014, 05:58 PM.
    sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

for now to hold you over in the seat department as the seats i bought have not arrived yet:

when i had the interior out for the deep cleaning which it really didnt need, i decided to see what one of the garrera gt seats from the fairlady would look like in the car. just a quick mock up to see if it would solve any of my issues with extra height needs and more support

always fun test fitting a seat that sells for approximately 8k each into a car that isnt worth 8k hahaha.

-

the seats that will be going in the car are a bit less expensive and much more suited to the car. quick tease for now

Last edited by 1badg35; 12-26-2014, 05:51 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome, love seeing used cars like this that appear to have been frozen in time. Looking forward to whatever you do to it!

Comment

I love your interior, please don't change it.
          IG: Dimitriantoniou
          1997 bmw 328i vert: sold:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55235
          1997 bmw 328is: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69857

Comment

Old people always have the good Miatas! Haha Nice find.
            And just FYI, that's a 1.6 (you had typed 1.8).

Civic Build

1992 Civic VX - 1996 Miata - 1986 944 Turbo - 1988.5 Samurai - 2006 Tiburon GT

Comment

God, that is CLEAN.

Proof positive of how good a tan interior can look if it's well-kept.

Comment

Originally posted by 06tiburonofdoom View Post
                Old people always have the good Miatas! Haha Nice find.
                And just FYI, that's a 1.6 (you had typed 1.8).

good catch, figured i should have checked for typos.

Originally posted by meech View Post
                I love your interior, please don't change it.

the interior is pretty awesome as is, but i am really not a fan of the stock seats. not anywhere near low enough to the floor or supportive enough.

there are only three changes slated for the interior, all of which will be vast improvements on things ive noticed in the 2 months of ownership so far.

I have to say i love this damn thing. and its only going to get better
                sigpic

Comment

minor update with some parts hoarding

bought these to start a fabrication project for spring.

the chrome on the car absolutely sucks in my opinion, but since its all original and i didnt want to touch perfectly chromed parts, I bought a second set of all of the chrome pieces present on the car one by one, and its all going to go in for some finishing work. the oem latches are going to get refinished and likely put into the oem parts bin in case the car ever needs to go back to stock.

oh and picked up some oem miata r spec front and rear lower valances as well as a more aggressive lower front valance for some test fitting.

--
                  sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to seeing progress on this thing. Subbed.

Comment

well the plans for the car are fairly simple in nature. This is by no means a "build" like the other long term projects ive been working on, but the plan is to make it a blast to throw around.

1.fix all of the little details on the car that take away from the driving experience as i see it at least.
                      2.major suspension upgrages to turn this into as close to a go-kart as possible - the bulk of the work to the car
                      3.build a rad set of wheels and pair them with some meaty tires. no camber or stretched tires here.
                      4.potential vintage themed graphic exercise with a friends shop that i will explain later.

to continue on that first bullet point, back to the interior and those dreaded cupholders.

how did mazda think this was a good spot for a cupholder?

so heres the start of the "fix". found a steal on a very rare r spec center console and had it shipped over here. such a nicer design than the oem us market center console. unfortunately its a rare piece and this one didnt have the arm rest with it... so i now have to decide what the plan of attack is for it..

now, i havent decided quite yet how much fab work is going to be going into this, or if its a quick bolt in replacement piece.. it does bolt right up currently, but im not sure if i like the size of the arm rest/ storage bin on this new one as its quite large.

quick initial test fits inside the car to see how it all proportions itself and a quick drive around to see if its comfortable driving with an armrest that sits that far forward

quick comparison outside the car

quick comparison inside the car. dont mind the console its just laying there not screwed in

some more with cup for scale so you can see the shifts are unobstructed with this new location

this is 5th gear - well knob isnt screwed on but you get the idea

---
                      Last edited by 1badg35; 12-30-2014, 12:13 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Clean Miata!!! You should cut the armrest part off and make it a shorty console since the lid is missing. For example... (not mine)

Comment

white miatas > every other car on the planet

Comment

Wow, that tan interior looks amazing. There's something I never thought I would say.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

That's an I.L. Motorsport console that you got (they designed it and released it in '07 or '08, I believe), so you might just be able to order an armrest from them. Or worst case scenario, a brand new center console. Haha
                              Several Miata vendors sell them, or you can try going straight to I.L. Motorsports.
                              Last edited by 06tiburonofdoom; 01-01-2015, 10:02 AM.

Civic Build

1992 Civic VX - 1996 Miata - 1986 944 Turbo - 1988.5 Samurai - 2006 Tiburon GT

Comment

Working...
                              X