Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chump Change Customs is out of his cage, again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chump Change Customs is out of his cage, again.

So to start, I've never properly introduced myself on this site but I generally build one or two cars a year to sell to fund the next build and so on and so forth. I get to build them the way I want, enjoy them for a time, then sell hopefully for profit. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of time to build cars right now. I work a day job and I'm married with two young children. Anyway, I've always lurked here at S/W. The variety of cars and the oddball shit keep me coming back over and over. Seems like every time I get on, there's something different to look at. Never posted before because I never felt like my past builds would be of any interest to the members of S/W. at least until now. Some of you might recognize my username from the aircooled VW scene. Over the last few years I've been lucky enough to rescue some VW busses that otherwise would have been cut up for parts.

First there was "Patches" the single cab,

Then there was this hunk o' sh!#

Lastly there was this guy, Festus Blowtorch.

So after rebuilding Festus three times I kinda got burned out and just stagnated for a while trying to figure out what I wanted to build. This is where it gets interesting. Bored with busses and looking to build something different I came across these two,

I've loved these cars ever since I was a kid. In the late seventies I was actually given a road racing coloring book with a 3.0 cs on the cover iirc. I remember (I was probably 8-10 years old) it was soooo badass .Now mind you, I had never seen Mike Burrough's E9 at this point but as soon as I did, it was like the fog lifted, the rain stopped, the clouds parted, and the Man Himself said, "These are next."

Now, these cars were full on projects that deserved to be restored properly. I quickly found out parts are tough to find and when you do they aren't cheap. Damn near as pricey as bus parts and since I also have two bus projects going I knew it was going to be tough to pull this off.

By the way, at the same time I bought the E9's I found this little guy.

So it had been sitting for at least 15 years I was told. It looked like a roach, plus I had two E9's so I didn't pay much attention to the car. So I just moved on. So at this point I was still trying to figure out a way to build the blue 3.0 so I was doing a ton of research on these cars and I quickly realized it would be too much of a project for me at this time. Even if I sold the black 3.0 to pay for it, I didn't have the time. Not to mention I knew/know next to nothing about these cars, but as I researched, I kept coming across these three names "Cubby Chowder", "Wobbie", and "Heist", it was then that a more realistic plan began to form in my mind.

I started thinking about the 2002 more and more. I decided to sell the 9's and try and build the 02. Shortly thereafter the 3.0's went on craigslist and I went to take another look at the 2002.

Turns out it's a 1972 BMW 2002, A/C, Sunroof, 4spd. 105xxx miles. It was way straighter and way more complete than I realized. Like I said it had been sitting for 15 years or so so I had no idea what condition it was in mechanically. It didn't look too bad, it still even had the battery in it and it was throwing me a good vibe that made me think it might work for me. It was covered inside and out with a thick layer of dirt from sitting and it was full of shells from the squirrels. Luckily the squirrells don't shit everywhere like rats. Since I figured I couldn't lose money I said screw it and threw it on the trailer. That was September 16, 2014.

I gotta go to work but I'll try and get this up to current asap.
    Last edited by C.C.C.; 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM.

Here's a couple more pictures as found,

Then some more of after I got it home and rinsed it off with the hose once.

I apologize for the cell phone pics. I promise the picture quality will improve.

Comment

So the interior was pretty nasty so I decided to see if I could bring it back.

After pulling all the seats out of the car and washing with various cleaners/treatments,

Then I cleaned the engine compartment for a little while. Not G.I., just enough so I could work on it,

At this point I decided to see what it was going to take to get the car running. It had some sort of electronic points on it that appeared to have had the smoke let out of it, so they went in the trash. I picked up some stock points for it and a battery and decided to turn the key and see what happened. The first sound I heard was the electronic fuel pump. To my surprise it turned over. I disconnected the coil wire and turned it over a few times to get the juices flowing. Reconnected the coil wire and put some gas in the carb. After it spit and popped for a while and after a few adjustments to the distributor, it started, well at least for a few seconds it did. I was stoked. The next morning was a saturday and I ran to the parts house and got a complete tuneup kit and fluid change. I came home and put it all in and then my buddy showed up and it took but a minute before the thing was sitting there purrin like a kitten.

Comment

came home and put it all in and then my buddy showed up and it took but a minute before the thing was sitting there purrin like a kitten.

Comment

Don't know why there are no replies but i think your previous builds look awesome i was in for the 3.0s but i hope the 2002 will look as good.

Comment

Good to see another 02 in good hands.

DO NOT DISAPPOINT like you did by selling the 3.0cs

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick crx View Post
              Don't know why there are no replies but i think your previous builds look awesome i was in for the 3.0s but i hope the 2002 will look as good.
              Thank you! I think 2002's present state would be considered "on the right track" by most of the population of this website but I need to find time to bring this thread to current. I might have to skip a few less exciting details.

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                Good to see another 02 in good hands.

DO NOT DISAPPOINT like you did by selling the 3.0cs

I hope not to disappoint anyone. In my opinion, it's much harder to make a 2002 look cool than it is a 3.0. I like that.

Comment

So at this point, it's running good and it has good compression. I had decided that I would just build a nice resto-mod driver out of this car. Only problem is I didn't really know how to go about it. I only knew this, 2002 wheel wells suck balls. I knew that mine were going to have to be cut. I also knew I wanted a 3" or better lip on my rims but I had no idea what kind of wheel I wanted to run but I knew approximately what size. I didn't know what wheels I wanted, but I needed to get on with mock-up so I bought some elcheapo 15x7 reps off eBay with a +0 offset. I figured it was a good place to start.

I had some 165/45/15s up in the attic so I pulled those out and dusted them off.

I had already started a list of parts that were missing or needed to be replaced. Most of my window seals were rotten from the sun and heat. Same with the gas filler neck.

Since the wheel wells were getting cut I would need some sort of flare so after careful research I chose to go with the MK1's.

I gotta go but I'll try and add more tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i like where this is heading. More progress!
                    "E Dirty Six, Low and Slow"

Check out my build thread
                    -------->http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69942

Comment

Nice story with getting the 2002 going

Comment

To continue. The sunroof cables were shot and it needed various lights. The carpet was shot as well so I did some more shoppin. While I waited for UPS I began pulling out the nastyazz carpet.

While I was in there I took care of some rust.

Slowly parts began to trickle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i was in for the 3.0s but i hope the 2002 will look as good.
                          looks cool

Comment

i would of never have sold those 3.0s

_DSC7278sig by FrancoE30, on Flickr

Comment

A recent crime happens in Indiana has some similarity in an episode of “Breaking Bad” movie. A man who poses as delivery driver reported stole 2,100 gallons of fuel in a bold daylight. You can pay for your gas with a personal loan.

Comment

Working...
                              X