MK1's, MK1's everywhere....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK1's, MK1's everywhere....

I decided I needed a buildthread for my MK1 Golf as a reminder that I needed to take a lot of pictures and to be able to show people my work without boring all of my friends on Facebook .

I needed a Forum that was open to lots of different styles, and I think I found it.

So here goes....

First a quick intro:
    I'm from The Netherlands, full time student and turning 21 later this month.
    The story start with my first car, a MK1 Golf 1.5.

Which half a year later looked like this

Sold that within a year of ownership because it was, well, sort of finished in my eyes.

So I found a new project. All you BMW fan-boys are gonna love this...

She is a 1981 318i and it was love at first sight. Made her even prettier by fitting full KONI suspension, 15 inch OZ Alpina wheels and some other small details. She eventually looked like this:

Decided to let her go beacuse I wanted something a little more fun to drive, and this is where my current MK1 comes in....

She has a 1.8 16v engine from the later MK2 GTI with complete stainless powersprint exhaust and manifold should be good for about 140hp. Doesn't sound like much but considering she weighs just over 800 kg, should be enough to have fun.

I bought her back in July so a few thinks have happened since then but since you guys seem to like frequent updates, I've decided to give you guys updates daily or maybe even twice a day untill we've caught up to time.

Hope you guys enjoy and help me keep being motivated.

ps. the last picture is also a teaser...

netjes
    Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

I dig the gulf golf
      Follow on IG
      amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
      Vintage AME Wheels
      RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
      W115 & W123

Comment

Die bovenste MK1 rijd hier rondjes in de omgeving van Hoogeveen. Woon je zelf ook in die richting ?

Comment

Originally posted by Viewty View Post
          Die bovenste MK1 rijd hier rondjes in de omgeving van Hoogeveen. Woon je zelf ook in die richting ?
          Ja klopt, de jongen aan wie ik hem verkocht heb woont in Hoogeveen maar die heeft hem een paar maanden geleden verkocht. Geen idee waar de auto nu rond rijdt.
          De BMW is naar België gegaan.

Woon zelf in Oost-Groningen

Comment

So yeah couldn't wait really...

New update! Or at least new for you guys!

Had a set of 15x7 Exips laying around in the garage and thought it would be a nice fit.

Sandblasted them and decided to polish the lips and paint the centers.

Test fitting

Rears need spacers

Front looked a lot better

Decided on a color

Really pleased with the result

That is all for now, tomorrow's update will include fitting the tyres on the wheels and the wheels on the car!

Comment

Another day, another update!

Tyres arrived...

They are 165/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza and should make for a good stretch.

Got them fitted, balanced and on the car. Result was a monster truck ride height.

Lowered it a little when I got it back.

Also fitted 20mm spacers behind the rear wheels. Quite happy with it.

Could be a lot lower still, but had a little roadtrip planned for later that week and needed to carry 2 people and a lot of bagage in the car.

More about that little roadtrip and quality pics of the car with the new wheels later today!

Comment

So about that little roadtrip....

We drove for about 400 km's in South-East direction which took us to the........ Nürburgring!

On the way there, pic with a nice Scirocco

I've been there a few times since it's relatively close, but never had a go myself. On Thursday evening the track would be open for the 'Touristenfahrten'. So my friend, who drives a BMW E30, and I, decided it needed to happen.

An hour before the track was due to open however, it started to rain, heavily. I was nervous as it was, and had decided I would only go out in the dry since I had no trackdriving experience and I wasn't going to crash my only car.

Lucky enough it dried out which enabled us do at least one lap. So we did...

I was hooked. It's just nothing like doing it on the playstation like so many of us have done. The elevation changes are like riding a rollercoaster and it didn't feel dangerous at all at first. I even thought I was doing quite well, untill I got passed by just about everything, including a 918 spider which makes you feel like you're standing still. I took about 12 minutes or so to do a lap but heck, it was epic!

After we looked at some of the cars in the parking lot we decided to drive up the hill and shoot a few pictures before it got dark.

So here are a few pictures with the new wheels and, oh yeah, single yellow foglight I didn't tell you guys about. Would love to hear what you guys think.

Till next time...

Comment

Nice! Ik vind 'm zoals op de fotos met t dakrekje wel heel vet
                  Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Nice MKI!

Comment

Originally posted by D. Meisner View Post
                      An hour before the track was due to open however, it started to rain, heavily. I was nervous as it was, and had decided I would only go out in the dry since I had no trackdriving experience and I wasn't going to crash my only car.

Lucky enough it dried out which enabled us do at least one lap. So we did...
                      Was the best that you could do, the ring is slippery as hell when it's wet

Love your MK1, looks really cool
                      IG: @blk_gtr

Comment

Originally posted by Yezzz View Post
                        Nice! Ik vind 'm zoals op de fotos met t dakrekje wel heel vet
                        Danku! Dat was een andere auto. Die heb ik 2 jaar geleden verkocht, een jaartje BMW gereden en nu weer een MK1!

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
                        Nice MKI!
                        Thanks!

Originally posted by Dome View Post
                        Was the best that you could do, the ring is slippery as hell when it's wet

Love your MK1, looks really cool
                        Thanks! And yeah, the Ring in the wet is a nightmare, judging by the many videos on youtube...

Comment

Originally posted by D. Meisner View Post
                          Thanks! And yeah, the Ring is a nightmare, judging by the many videos on youtube...
                          corrected
                          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Update!

After I got back from the Ring I knew which way I wanted to go with the car. I decided It was gonna have to be a roadlegal trackday-machine. Obviously this was also one of the most expensive options....

I also considered making it a sleeper but that limited creativity to much in my opinion. I always like to do my own thing and turn heads doing so. Exactly what Stanceworks is all about...

So I started sourcing the parts. I picked up a bolt-in roll cage beacause I wanted to be able to go back to stock.

Testfitting. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics.

It will be painted off course!

I also tinted the rear lights. Don't know if they will stay, but I like it for now.

That was it for today!

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                              corrected
                              Haha yeah you're right but in most of the videos on a dry track you see it coming because they're just going way too fast/ wrong line/ etc.

In the wet they're just driving casually and suddenly they wildly spin out of control in a huge ball of fire! Okay maybe without the ball of fire..., but you get the idea

Comment

Working...
                              X