"Oh wow, it actually is a station wagon."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oh wow, it actually is a station wagon."

The first words that I heard from my girlfriend at 4:00 AM once I got back to OKC after driving for 11 straight hours and almost 800 miles from picking up my B5 S4 Avant.

As some may have noticed, I put my E36 M3 up for sale with the thought of getting into some kind of AWD wagon and eventually getting rid of my Jeep come springtime. The ad was more of a feeler, as I figured that the car would take a little while to sell. I was dead wrong about that, within 36 hours of the initial posting someone had come down from Wichita with a stack of cash and drove it home that day!

While doing my research on what wagons I should be looking for, I posted a thread on TCL asking for advice and for some other options that I potentially hadn't considered. After seeing that thread, a member sent me a PM saying that he had a meticulously maintained Stage III B5 S4 Avant in Minneapolis that he was wanting to sell rather quickly at what I thought was a good price. I didn't think that I could get the M3 sold in time, but once it did I had a few more follow up questions for the seller of the vehicle and booked a flight to Minneapolis for the Friday after Thanksgiving.

When I got to Minneapolis, I was pretty amazed at the condition of the car. It is a high mileage vehicle, but given the owner history that I was provided, I was confident that it had spent its life in good hands and was well maintained, and it really shows. The interior is in phenomenal shape (doesn't even have any pixels out on the LCD!), and aside from a few scratches here and there that have been accumulated over the life of 13 years and 190,000 miles, the exterior is also great. Oh, and it hauls ass.

Enough words, here are the pics!

Picked a beautiful day of sleet and a high of 24 degrees to fly into MSP.

Right before getting it on the road to OKC. Seller was awesome and left a full tank of gas in it, allowing me to make it to Des Moines, IA before having to stop after leaving the driveway.

The route.

About 30 miles in I hit this milestone.

And the next morning after getting it back!! Even though the car got dirty as hell, the drive was incredibly uneventful and was a great chance to get to know the car.

Got it cleaned up and tucked away in the garage. (Anyone want to buy some BMW wheels??)

And the first wagon duty that it's been put on.

Plans for the car are to enjoy it as-is through the Winter, it came with a set of snow tires mounted on the stock Avus wheels, and I figure I might as well keep those on for the inclement weather that we're prone to get every now and then here. Once springtime comes around the car will get coils and nice set of wheels, but I'm not too sure how dysfunctional I'm trying to make this one

Love it
    sigpic

IG: jdirtydeanwiththecb50

Comment

I've always liked these wagons. Looks like a keeper!
      '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
      Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

following i recently just got and s4 myself excited to see your progress
        Dubber from the PNW
        Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39429
        Daily Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39066

Comment

I was expecting a Chevy, but that's fine because S4's are awesome. I can't believe how clean your's is given the millage
          My '88 Golf GTI - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59460

lowered, because it makes the boobies bounce

Comment

Pretty good find, looks really clean on the pics

A few years ago I also owned one of these as a sedan, really loved it and miss it on every winter
            Last edited by Dome; 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM.
            IG: @blk_gtr

Comment

Originally posted by Greg|H View Post
              I was expecting a Chevy, but that's fine because S4's are awesome. I can't believe how clean your's is given the millage
              Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Comment

Originally posted by lower99 View Post
                Love it
                Thanks!! I'm really liking it too. Can't wait to get around to making some changes!

Originally posted by fortbrick View Post
                I've always liked these wagons. Looks like a keeper!
                I plan on it being a keeper! I'm pretty bad about getting bored with cars and switching, but I think given the rarity of this configuration that I will hold onto it for awhile.

Originally posted by cdiddydo View Post
                following i recently just got and s4 myself excited to see your progress
                Nice! Do you have a build thread anywhere? This is my first B5, and I think I'm going to be learning on the most difficult platform!

Originally posted by Greg|H View Post
                It's incredibly clean for the mileage! I was expecting the car to be a little more beat when I saw it in person, but it really is great. Especially the interior!

Originally posted by Dome View Post
                Pretty good find, looks really clean on the pics

A few years ago I also owned one of these as a sedan, really loved it and miss it on every winter
                Looks great! The CH is such a classic look. Are those 19s? I'm planning on going with 18s I think.

Originally posted by Walnuts View Post
                Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.
                Not sure I get the Chevy references??

Comment

Love these years of Audis especially the wagons. Looking forward to this.

Low n' Slow
                  Twitter/IG: ChicoChiefer
                  1996 Saturn SW2 DD in progress
                  http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67883

Comment

Originally posted by cardoza View Post
                    Looks great! The CH is such a classic look. Are those 19s? I'm planning on going with 18s I think.
                    Thanks, I choosed them in 19"
                    But 18s are also ok with the right design and stance imo
                    IG: @blk_gtr

Comment

Quick pic from our rainy morning in OKC. I really need to do something about the black wheels.

Comment

I love wagons, looking forward to seeing where this goes!
                        1993 BMW 325i
                        2001 BMW 330ci vert
                        2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Got around to doing my first "mod" last night . Pretty simple rear wiper delete, exactly the same process as on my MK5. Really helps to clean up the rear of the car IMO.

Comment

On another note... My clutch won't return from the floorboard. I think it is just an issue with the fluid, as when it first started doing it I was able to pull it off the floor and it would act normally for awhile, however this morning it would only stay on the floor when depressed. Going to check the fluid levels today and try to bleed the system to see if that solves the problem.

Comment

NOW I feel like a real B5 S4 owner.

Comment

Working...
                              X