Making rims bigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making rims bigger

This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to take centers from a 15" rim and put them into a 16" barrel or something? I want to keep the original steelie look my Volvo 122 came with, but the 15s look like castors in the wheel well.
    Attached Files

Not a dumb question.
    There a plenty of 16" wheels with 15" centers(or 19" wheels with 18" faces, etc)
    Those wheels use stepped halves.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

yes you can just buy some, 15 to 16 barrels and lips. My advice would be to just buy the size you want unless you have deep pockets, because buying 4 lips and 4 barrels is expensive.
      "E Dirty Six, Low and Slow"

Check out my build thread
      -------->http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69942

Comment

/\/\
        Those guys didn't read your whole question and look at the picture. Obviously, your steel wheels don't have bolt-in centers.

You can buy larger diameter steel barrels, but what I'm finding is that they come in standard sizes, so the center from your wheel will be too small to weld in. It may be possible to weld a small flange in a larger barrel, then weld your center to it. I've never heard of it being done though.

There's not much info on modifying steel wheels. With the labor cost to modify them, it's cheaper to buy a complete wheel in the size you need.

I assume the whole point is to keep your wheel trim. The best solution I can think of is to cut out the attachment points from your original wheels, then weld those to an off-the-shelf steelie in the size you want.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
          I assume the whole point is to keep your wheel trim. The best solution I can think of is to cut out the attachment points from your original wheels, then weld those to an off-the-shelf steelie in the size you want.
          That would be the way I'd go about it. I don't know the specifics on your car, but a lot of the time those wheel caps are held in with a spring clip of sorts and three or four little "nubs" stamped on the wheel. It's pretty trivial to have someone lay a bead with a MIG on the appropriate surface on a new wheel if that will work for you.

EDIT: The other side of this is that I'd bet those 15s would look way better with the car a lot lower to the ground. If that's your ultimate goal, you might try getting the car low first and see what you think.

Comment

I appreciate the responses so far. I've debated just banding them because they are only 4in wide and look like pizza cutters from all angles as well. Most chain tire shops won't even mount anything bigger than 175 on them...

Initially I was going to lower it so they fit better, but I am going with a rally car look and lowering it enough to make the rims fit would also defeat the purpose. I was thinking it would be cool to do something like those 3pc Bottlecaps that 1552 had concepted, but in a 2pc maybe.

I have a couple of extra steelies lying around so I will take a look at them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
              //
              Those guys didn't read your whole question and look at the picture. Obviously, your steel wheels don't have bolt-in centers.

You can buy larger diameter steel barrels, but what I'm finding is that they come in standard sizes, so the center from your wheel will be too small to weld in. It may be possible to weld a small flange in a larger barrel, then weld your center to it. I've never heard of it being done though.

There's not much info on modifying steel wheels. With the labor cost to modify them, it's cheaper to buy a complete wheel in the size you need.

You must've not read the OP's question. He said he wanted to take centers( two or three piece) and put them into a larger barrel. He said he wanted to keep the steelie LOOK not the actually steelies. So yes you can get 15inch centers and buy step barrels and lips, it would be expensive though. You might as well just get 16" steelies to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Thate34Guy View Post
                You must've not read the OP's question. He said he wanted to take centers( two or three piece) and put them into a larger barrel. He said he wanted to keep the steelie LOOK not the actually steelies. So yes you can get 15inch centers and buy step barrels and lips, it would be expensive though. You might as well just get 16" steelies to begin with.
                Ummm.... no.

Steelies are made by welding a center section to a barrel. It's not too uncommon for people (drag racers usually) to cut the centers out and weld them to wider barrels, but increasing the diameter is an unusual challenge.

This thread is not about bolting parts together.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9THP7XjyY

Comment

Originally posted by thedefenderofawesome View Post
                  This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to take centers from a 15" rim and put them into a 16" barrel or something.

Originally posted by thedefenderofawesome View Post
                  I was thinking it would be cool to do something like those 3pc Bottlecaps that 1552 had concepted, but in a 2pc maybe.

I have a couple of extra steelies lying around so I will take a look at them tomorrow.
                  This is what the OP asked, he said he wanted to retain the look of the steelies on his car. I replied it would be expensive to buy 4 barrels and 4 lips for the 15" to 16" centers.

OP i suggest buying some 16" steelies to begin with as the custom fabrication for converting the 15 to 16 will be more than just buying some new steelies. Have you looked into Diamond racing steelies?
                  Last edited by Thate34Guy; 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

After thinking about it a little more, I am just going to get some modern steelies from a friend who has some 16s and use them for a while. Sometime later on I think I want to get some Cosmos if I can find them. Saw a picture of an Amazon with them on and they are pretty sweet.

Now I need to learn up on this whole spacer thing. These are not only 2.5 in wider, but they are higher offset too. In the rear they rub the suspension and just holding them out as far they will need to be, the studs aren't long enough. In the front they rub the tie rods and sway bar when they get tires. That is for a different thread though.

Comment

Working...
                    X