JustBavThings: 1973 BMW E3 3.0s Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JustBavThings: 1973 BMW E3 3.0s Project

Here's the story behind this project - I've daily driven a 1986 528e for about 3 years now. Earlier this year, I ended up buying an E12 528i that was destined for the scrapper. Considering it had 83,000 miles on it when I picked it up, this was not a destiny that I was going to let unfold. My plan was to daily it through the summer and pass it along to a friend when school time came around - which is exactly what ended up happening.

However, the monotony of daily life and the constant routine of schoolwork got to me. Life was empty, and somewhat miserable, as I went through the motions of getting on a train everyday by myself and going to a school about an hour away where I barely know anyone. My main reason for selling the E12 was to focus on school, but focusing on school was not fun. It was just making me sad. And you know what? Fuck that noise.

A good friend of mine offered me a BMW 2002, a dream car of mine. I gladly obliged because I knew it would be a fun project. The car was taken apart and needed work done to fix the rocker panels. The interior was incomplete, but the motor and all the drivetrain bits were there. Still, it was a car where some (okay, lots) of assembly was required. I put the deposit down on the car, but with the car sitting around and him making some small moves to get it ready for me, he kind of fell back in love with it. I was fine with this though, he returned the deposit and that was the end of that.

The same friend who owns the 2002 contacts me shortly thereafter showing me a 1973 BMW 3.0s that was listed on New York craigslist. I showed some friends the car, and they immediately loved it. I was starting to fall in love with it myself - even more so than the 2002 - there's just something about the design of a saloon that I truly enjoy. The car looked to be in okay condition, and the owner of the car was straight forward. He wanted the car to go to someone who was going to take care of it, and not part it out. The only problem was the car didn't run or drive, and was located in Killingsworth, CT.

I keep in contact with the owner, whilst talking to friends and seeing if anyone can help me out with a tow. My good friend Ben, who I sold the E12 to, comes through in the clutch. He gets his hands on a truck at the last minute, we make arrangements with a U-Haul place in CT, and I contact the owner with the cash in hand, ready to pick up another old BMW.

Hi Ben. Do you see the ice? Because we sure did.

Some CT sunshine definitely made this car look beautiful, but it shows the potential it has.

After a nice little trip, we get up there, and the thing was as described. It's surprisingly solid, but he wasn't kidding about it being a mice's home - the thing smelled awful. I also found out that it was last registered in Sept. 1980, well before my existence on this earth was even a thought. I tried to use this as a large part of my argument to talk the price down, but I had no luck. The price I got it for was more than fair though, and I knew what I was getting into. After a bit of inspection, it was time to get her on the trailer and get her home.

Now that the car has been home for a few weeks, I haven't made toooooo much progress. Like I said, school is (unfortunately) a priority, this is my distraction. There's nothing like an old BMW, and after selling the E12, it made me realize I needed something like it again, but this time I wouldn't be so foolish as to sell it. However, this old E3 needs a lot more elbow grease than the E12 ever did. Warning, this thread's about to get sorta graphic.

Found this little guy under the driver's seat, and the other one in the rain tray (which was mice shit central).

I hope Deadmau5 doesn't make any more appearances in the fixing up of this old Bav.

Got all of the headaches together for a family photo.

Rendering done by my good friend Blaise Freeman. This is the eventual plan for the car, bags and some sort of nice wheels. I'm also taking apart the entire interior, and cleaning literally every single tiny crevice, as well as getting the AC, heat, radio and just about every accessory bit of the interior to work. I'm also going to wet sand the paint and try to leave as much of the natural patina as possible. Perhaps one day the car will see a respray when I can afford those types of things, but for now what's left of the beautiful Malaga red will shine bright amongst the rust spots.

The most important thing about the car is getting it running and driving, though. I'd like to get the M30 to run, but it's been sitting for years upon years with the intake manifold off. My concern is that the motor is surely seized, it hasn't cranked by hand yet, but I am planning on using Marvel Mystery Oil in order to get it to crank. Anyone with some insight on these motors is more than willing to give their 2 cents. However, a friend of mine and I have been planning out a swap that will blow some minds, piss many off but most importantly - put a huge smile on my face.
    1986 BMW 528e - Delphin Grey - 5spd
    1986 Toyota Cressida - Dark Blue Metallic - 1JZ VVTI swap, AR5 transmission
    1990 Honda Civic Wagon - Rio Red - Daily Driver
    Instagram: @kibur

yayyyyy. Gonna be good dude. Glad you are leaving the paint honestly.

instagram-brandonmckiernannn

Comment

Oh i see da ice. Dodge the father, Ram the daughter

I got hepatitis A through C loading and offloading this from the trailer.

Good. #justbavthings

Also, do you remember the miles on the E12 once you sold it to me?
      Last edited by bennkishh; 10-27-2014, 12:29 PM.
      '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
      '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
      '01 BMW 740iL
      Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

I can't wait to see more!
        The Oldschoolers: https://www.facebook.com/TheOldschoolersAD/

Instagram: @TheOldschoolers

#MrBenz's Audi B5 project

#MrBenz's Audi 100LS 1976

Comment

GONNA BE SICK ! I too am glad your keeping the paint . Nasty Mice tho, bet that shit smelled
          Instagram - Bavarian_Steel
          My E28 Build

Comment

A lot of potential in this bav!
            Old project: Suzuki Swift mk1 GTi carbs '86
            New Project: Porsche 944 S '87
            Follow me: Whiteknuckleride
            My band on Spotify: Edison Road

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonMcKiernan View Post
              yayyyyy. Gonna be good dude. Glad you are leaving the paint honestly.
              Originally posted by 12vsex View Post
              GONNA BE SICK ! I too am glad your keeping the paint . Nasty Mice tho, bet that shit smelled
              I've always wanted a car with patina. So far, everything is solid underneath, so it may as well stay.

Also, fuck mice. I have a newfound hatred for them after cleaning out this car, and I haven't even taken apart the entire interior yet. At least it provides me an opportunity to clean every crevice and detail of the interior and entire car.

Originally posted by #MrBenz View Post
              I can't wait to see more!
              Originally posted by Pauluzz View Post
              A lot of potential in this bav!
              Thanks! I think it has some potential too. It is going to be an interesting project regardless of what happens.

Originally posted by bennkishh View Post
              Oh i see da ice. Dodge the father, Ram the daughter

I got hepatitis A through C loading and offloading this from the trailer.

Good. #justbavthings

Also, do you remember the miles on the E12 once you sold it to me?

I think it had like 86 or 87k. Yeet to dodging fathers and ramming daughters though.

Comment

Ghee wiz, this is amazing. So glad you ended up with this instead of the 2002, sub'd and pumped for more!

Comment

o yes progress, looking good sir

Comment

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                    Ghee wiz, this is amazing. So glad you ended up with this instead of the 2002, sub'd and pumped for more!
                    Originally posted by PRO-STAR View Post
                    o yes progress, looking good sir
                    Thanks fellas! I've just been shining up little parts and cleaning up the interior some more, this car really has a lot of potential. I'm quite suprised by it.

Comment

you have a nice line up going on can't wait to see progress!
                      1987 325is
                      1988 528e
                      #30Furdayz

Comment

Alright, so time to let the cat out of the bag as far as the motor swap goes: My plan is to put in an M21 from a E28 524td.

I need some help planning out what will need to be used in order to adapt this. I have heard that a lot of the stuff from the E28 528e's driveline is interchangeable with that of a 524td, the only difference being the 524td needing a dual-mass flywheel from europe. The car currently has a 4-spd manual in it, I'm wondering if that pedal setup would still work? I doubt the transmission will work with the M21, and also, the only information I'm finding for swapping a 5-spd into an E3 is using parts from an E12 chassis car, but I have also seen a few E3's where a getrag 265 was used.

Any suggestions? I plan on taking out the tired and old m30 soon, I feel like it will be more money to rebuild and throw this thing back in than it would be to piece together the M21 swap and get that done. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to plan for.
                        Last edited by kibur; 11-07-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Ohh shittt, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Comment

Nice dude!

Pedal assembly should be fine. Should be. Keep in mind, the 524td motor will be slow. Like, really slow. Like don't race any schoolbuses. Or trains from a dig. Maybe an old lady on a walker with a bad hip. If the m30 spins freely it shouldn't be too big of a headache to get it running again, or a carb'd b34 or b35 would be epic in this and you wouldn't have to go through too much more work to swap one in.
                            Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                              Nice dude!

Pedal assembly should be fine. Should be. Keep in mind, the 524td motor will be slow. Like, really slow. Like don't race any schoolbuses. Or trains from a dig. Maybe an old lady on a walker with a bad hip. If the m30 spins freely it shouldn't be too big of a headache to get it running again, or a carb'd b34 or b35 would be epic in this and you wouldn't have to go through too much more work to swap one in.
                              What he said man. I thought about doing an m21 swap in my 6... then I drove a 524. Thing is molasses. Cool as balls but slow as all hell. Plus the e3 would probably be a bit heavier than the e28.

Comment

Working...
                              X