Are 2002's a thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 2002's a thing?

Just picked up my second 2002. I blew the transmission in my DD '76 2002 so that will be getting swapped, and it's own thread soon as well. I figured I'd start a thread for this little bastard because I'll be working on it over winter. Among my three other project cars....

It's a 1972 and it's been sitting in some guys yard for years but it has less rust than my DD and I got a shit ton of parts with it, all for scrap value

And a little teaser of what's to come....

stay tuned
    "Don't worry guys, I'll just stay here, drinking my chocolate milk, and you guys can keep buying nice things for your cars."-ZiddyGrew

If you're hinting at an M21 swap, i'll be sticking around here pretty often.
    '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
    '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
    '01 BMW 740iL
    Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

M21 turbo diesel in a 2002? sounds like perfection to me...
      sigpic
      1978 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D "Sabine"

Rest of Benz fam.
      1980 Mercedes-Benz W123 300CD (brothers)
      1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E (dads)
      1998 Mercedes-Benz W196 ML320 (moms)

instagram: chucky332

Comment

I was hinting at an M21 swap haha. It's going to be a quite interesting thing to swap because I got the engine from a 1984 Lincoln Mark 7 when Ford used the M21's they bought from BMW.

Also any tips on getting auto trans fluid out of a driveway....
        "Don't worry guys, I'll just stay here, drinking my chocolate milk, and you guys can keep buying nice things for your cars."-ZiddyGrew

Comment

Well now, this is very interesting.

Comment

Can't wait to see it! A buddy of mine has been toying with idea of swapping an M21 in to his E3
            '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
            '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
            '01 BMW 740iL
            Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

Making a car that's pretty fun to ride in, drive around because it's lightweight , not to mention a car that sounds nice ...

and then sticking a turbo diesel (heavy and noisy, the wrong noisy) inside ... adding weight to the front ...

that gets me confused.

Why ?

I know diesels are getting lots of love there, but why ?
              don't know for sure but that also doesn't seem logical, nor economical , not to mention unreliable at best?

why the hell.

Other than that, it's nice to see an '02 getting some love and spared from rot.

Carry on !

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOwl View Post
                Making a car that's pretty fun to ride in, drive around because it's lightweight , not to mention a car that sounds nice ...

and then sticking a turbo diesel (heavy and noisy, the wrong noisy) inside ... adding weight to the front ...

that gets me confused.

Why ?

don't know for sure but that also doesn't seem logical, nor economical , not to mention unreliable at best?

why the hell.

Carry on !
                I see where you're coming from, but I do things because I want to, not because they're sensible. Sensibility and logic are the last things I look at when swapping cars.

Not to mention the M21 is not much heavier than an M20, which is probably the most commonly swapped engine into a 2002. So it really isn't that illogical. Which is actually disheartening seeing as how I want to be ridiculous.

Stay tuned for a 2002 rolling coal.

Comment

Oh and I wasn't sure what wires to take so I took them all. Wiring is the bane of my existence....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOwl View Post

that gets me confused.

Why ?

why the hell.

Carry on !
                    Because torque. Also diesels are more economical and reliable haha. And with just a few modifications such as a turbo, inter cooler, and injection pump mods you can reliably see about 250-300hp and a whole lot more torque.

Also rolling coal is fun.
                    sigpic
                    1978 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D "Sabine"

Rest of Benz fam.
                    1980 Mercedes-Benz W123 300CD (brothers)
                    1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E (dads)
                    1998 Mercedes-Benz W196 ML320 (moms)

instagram: chucky332

Comment

Originally posted by chucky332 View Post

Also rolling coal is fun.
                      All of what he said. But mostly this.

Comment

This will be interestinf. Subscribed.

Oh and by the way, you need like 3 wires to start up an m21. To run it needs the fuel pump solenoid to open and the starter to crank. Basicaly you could hook up a battery to the engine wiring yo have on it right now, put a pump hose into a canister with diesel and it would run those engines are dirty simple.
                        And a lot of fun when tuned properly.
                        then there's wiring for the alternator, tach, temp sensors and so on

not sure what gearboxes the lincol came with, but m20 gearbox bolts straigt on to m21

Comment

Yes, I'm going to get a 5spd from an M20. The transmission from the Lincoln is the same automatic that the 524td came with but with a different tail shaft. Plus with that 5spd I can use the driveshaft from an E30 and a diff from an E21 and it will all essentially bolt into the 2002

But when it comes to wiring I just leave it to my friends that enjoy it, I don't have the patience.

Comment

in for this. Very interesting.

Comment

m21's are rad, definitely in for more.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X