B6 A4 Avant build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 A4 Avant build thread

Hello all. I got time to kill...its raining...im bored...Here ya go.
    airbags....gotta have em

I purchased this 2004 Avant 1.8t 6spd a couple years ago. It had 210,000km or so. It was a trade in and got a good deal. Real good deal. It required some immediate attention though but was easy enough. Coolant flange, Window regulator, Clutch, brakes, etc..other usual audi issues.
    Then i got some Koni coilovers and s-line wheels. The first bit of lovin.

Nothin for a while really. Then the big day came. Wedding day. Our limo had to be lookin spiffy so I took out the rear spring perches and had the coils just sittin right on the sleeves. Lowered the front to match...static lovin..a little low for a daily driver...
    I tinted the tails and markers as well
    Tinted the tails and markers, removed orange reflectors from stock headlights (wouldn't do again..cheesy lookin)

Then I was shown this app called instagram...insta heroin really.......got addicted and kept seein' all these cars on bags...on bags..on bags on bags...
    I got the itch...bad...real bad....
    Then i thought it would be a ggrand idea to go into a little debt and ordered up a set.
    whilst the package was being delivered i started on the tank setup. Post haste.

then christmas came...in march?

Hardest part was the tank colour. Several cans of spray bomb . many plates of metal

Put off deciding the colour for a while so I started bending up some lines. Took my time as it was -15C to -25C outside still.

I Tried to have the copper bend with the tank ( as you could see to the right)

but it didnt look nice. and it was really hard to match to the other side.
    Ended up with this

In hindsight I would spend money and get a real nice swage-lok bender because the cheapo crappy tire ones squeeze and stretch the lines in the bend..not so nice...distorts the colour of the copper too. DONT LOOK TOO CLOSELY AT MINE NOW!

Finally picked a colour, Rustoleum primer with metallic pearl then a clear coat

The underneath of the hardwood. obviously the wiring was all neatly taped when finished...OBVIOUSLY.....

It warmed up enough I was able to spend an hour here or there putting the hardwood back into the cargo area.

I mounted the pressure gauge into the vent

controller into the pocket using some packing foam.

Finally it warmed up to 5 degrees or so. Long johns, jeans, coveralls, winter jacket toque...Prepared I went outside and braved the cold
    (no pictures for next while)
    it wasnt fun, upper control arm pinch bolts seized and broke...funny seeing as I had them out 2 years ago for the coilovers...AAAHHH.... since I had to take the knuckles out of the car to remove those pesky bolts I had new front wheel bearings put in thanks to a good dear friend and his press......you know who you are....
    a couple days later I was pleased to see this.

TEST DRIVE TIME

pleased to say..ALL WAS WELL...no real hiccup at all.

Shine up that copper!

front subframe

Then 6 or so days later ...snow. Good timing.

Glass rear wiper delete plug

s4 door blades

Another friend helped me with some body work. Had a couple dents in the drivers rear door, a pillar and some rust behind the drivers rear wheel

Finally after ****** reaching back to get at the controller and after some conversations with a buddy I decided to mount it in the card holder...didn't quite fit...so this is what I was left with.

a couple iphone money shots

And finally, as it sits

I wanted a NARDI wheel but didn't want to pay for one so I picked up a cheap steering wheel for 15$
    Cut off the foam and was left with the center portion and the outer ring then made myself a wooden steering wheel. Filed in finger grooves in the back and everything which kept it from looking as thick as it did in the beginning.
    Trying to flow the wood from the trunk up to the front of the car.

Not as nice as a NARDI but not nearly as costly either. Im quite happy with it.
    Made a center cover just haven't taken a picture of it yet.
    Steering wheel looks thicker in the pic but it measures same as the stock wheel.

Well thats the end of my story for now..
    Last edited by jschmidtjordan; 10-15-2014, 10:37 PM. Reason: pics missing from photbucket

this things sick. Have you ever thought about finding air bag control buttons from and Allroad and making it work with your system? they would look factory and fit where yo have your controller now. Juat a thought since it seems like you had trouble deciding where to put the controller.

Low n' Slow
    Twitter/IG: ChicoChiefer
    1996 Saturn SW2 DD in progress
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67883

Comment

Looking good bro, Have you got any other plans for it? Love the copper and wood touches.
      Instagram / Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

wow - hats off on making your own wood wheel. would love to see more pics of that! did you sandwich a bunch of pieces??
        91 DiamondSchwartzMetallic S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Euro E30, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
        ig @rudestance / @renownusa

Comment

not bad, really interested into where this goes, my dad has one and I've been constantly bugging him to bag it haha

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

The allroad idea is cool, but I enjoy the 4 corner control. I imagine those that have just a single up and down switch it would be near impossible to be even on all 4 corners.
            The steering wheel was 2 peices of wood sandwiched together, I made a jig and routed 2 circles.
            Then sandwiched together and used a roundover bit to round the edges. Then just a round file for finger grooves.
            Some one other thing I forgot was I took 2 sets of roof rail cross bars from a 2014 Ford expedition.
            Cut them to size and got them to fit between the rails on the avant. Harder than it seems.
            but it looks good and suprisingly the rails had a perfect arch that matchd the roof of the avant.

try and get better pictures some day.
            AS for future plans. I am keeping an eye open for a rear bumper. I would like to fill in the exhaust cut outs like the TDI's in europe. I think thats a slick look. I mean I could just get one shipped over but i've heard horror stories of shipping costs.

Comment

how does this thing do in the winter? have any problems? I'm from regina. really want to have a bagged daily after i sell my evo. scared with -35 temps though. and especially ice build up on bags, in lines, tank etc...

Comment

Looking good bro, Have you got any other plans for it? Love the copper and wood touches.

Comment

Great look!

Will definately be in for this! I've got a b6 1,8t quattro myself, it's static though. Police and everyone is super strict about bags..

Comment

haven't gone through a winter yet. Im told good til -35C if you put airline anti-freeze and regularly drain your tank. In my case I have my VU4 at the lowest point and thats where the water collects. So in other words I have a winter beater.
                    But theres some guys in Calgary runnin theirs all year round

Comment

winter is upon us now and the car is in the garage.
                      started the process for the next task.
                      pulling the motor and going to shave and tuck the engine bay, as much as possible anyways.

Comment

Hello fellow Edmontonian haha. The car is looking good so far. Any plans for the motor while it's out or just tucking the wires and calling it a day?

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

Great Trunk

Comment

new things have happened. after a terrible hiatus due to christmas, snowboarding, working on my wifes and father in laws vehicles, I was able to get back to it.

Borrowed a welder off my brother in law and started going to town.

trying to do this all without taking out the abs module and brake booster, but i feel when it comes time to do the paint...it won't be an easy task especially to have it look nice when its finished... also...trying to decide if I should remove the seam sealer and re apply in a more thin and appealing fashion.....

No more a/c, never really used it anyways. don't really care to find a way to run the a/c lines but hide them. Just gone.
                            There will be plenty more missing from the engine bay when I'm done. Will keep those a secret til then.

Tomorow is covers for the upper control arm notches. FINALLY man did I ever **** opening my hood at shows with those nasty lookin' holes there....so embarrassing....well not any more.

I'm debating trying to find a different coolant resevoir from another vehicle just for shits and giggles, but the stock one fits nicely...we will have to wait and see.
                            Who ever said doing a bay shave and a wire tuck was a lot of work wasn't kidding. I haven't even started on the wiring portion of this yet!

ALSO!

found a set of these for a sweet price

...just can't commit to em. would I rather find wheels I can tuck for more lows seeing as i took the time to notch for the front control arms and all.....
                            ..or have these with some poke.
                            With the width, offset and adapters theres no possibility of tucking those rear wheels. unless I shave some of the wheel hub off....but how much is that gonna be....

Opinions?

Comment

Quick update im pretty stoked about.

near finished passenger side cover for notch, wasn't too happy at first because it looked out of place being all boxy and what not but then made a little cover so the raintray faux firewall will be full right to the end. turned out pretty wicked in my opinon..but im biased so...

Just got inside and wanted to get these pics up. Pretty excited about how it turned out so here

I welded in a strip of 1" or so steel and had a bit of it underneath and was able to fold it over nice and tight. Actually suprised at how well it worked out.

better pictures will be coming once its a little cleaner and more presentable....ie the amazing welds....
                              The front nose peice that sticks out into engine bay actually fits quite well and doesn't look too out of place.

hurray...almost done welding. Just the driver side notch to cover and one more hole to fill and i'm ready for body filler!!
                              CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X