No announcement yet.

Felix the beemer. Hennarot e30 content.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix the beemer. Hennarot e30 content.

Time for me to do this I suppose! Before you read any further, I want to give MattAvino the biggest possible thank you, because without his help, this car would still be dead in a single car garage in the middle of January in two feet of snow.

So, to make a long story really short, a friend of mine had a shitty e30 a few years ago that we caught air and and did all sorts of other stupid shit. This was a REAL western New York car... you could pull the carpet up and burn your shoes off on the throughway if you wanted too. It had about 3 motors in it, and finally blew the trans to pieces all over the thruway if I remember the story correctly. We called that e30 Felix.

Despite being a piece of trash, I fell in love. I knew I had to have one at some point. Jump to this time (Early october), last year (2013). My truck was on the fritz, and I was looking to dump it on someone else before it was a huge issue on my end. A friend of mine told me his roommate was selling an e30. The time had come. Felix 2.0 was going to be a thing. With more floorboards and less rust.

Here he is the day I picked him up. While the original Felix was an m20, auto car (maybe a 325i?), Felix 2.0 was a 1984 318i. Racelands (I KNOW), momo wheel, and magnaflow catback were pretty much the only upgrades. But it had seen only two winters, had almost every single piece of paperwork, and had very limited rust for a WNY car, and it's Henna. If I would have known a little better, I may have waited for a m20, later model car, but it's all in the past now.

Side view for stance reference.

One of my favorite pictures of him from early on.

AND THEN: The m10 started to poop on me at about 135k, I had owned the car for about 3 months at this point. Not 100% sure what the issue was, honestly didn't care. I had already planned to do a swap on the car, and this just gave me a reason to do it.

A good friend of mine from High School who is also really into e30's saved my ass though, he had a fully rebuilt and cammed motor (272 shrick before you ask) that he pulled from another one of his projects (it's getting a twin turbo'd, bored and stroked 5.0 from a mid 80's foxbody). But he gave me a stupid good deal on the motor, a manual trans, and every single piece we thought we were gonna need to swap the car, including some newer parts. AND he helped me for weekends on end of minimal sleep so I could get the car back on the road, and stop stealing my girlfriend's car.

This also happened at a perfect time in WNY... luckily not having a car wasn't a huge issue for most of the time because I was on break from school, but I still had to work.

30k on this motor, bingo.

Perfectly timed around Miley's hit song... (MattAvino does his best impression)

Early model wiring

One of the rare, somewhat warm days, conveniently when we were ready to put the m20 in the car.

I actually don't have a picture of the motor in the car after we finished the swap, or at least I can't find one right now. But I now had the second brake pedal added that I had been missing!

Now there's a boring gap time where I'm currently poor, but my friend also hooked me up with a set of euro bumpers from a car he (again) parted out a few months ago. They're not perfect, but I'm gonna clean them up and get everything mint when we go to repaint the car (maybe next summer?). Got a dumb europlate at Bimmerfest East. I love it, and people love taking pictures of it at local shows, so it's worth it.

So that's all I currently have for you guys!

This car right now is more a cruiser than anything, because of the raceland it handles like a sack of potatoes. However, I plan to autocross the hell out of it after the work I want to do this winter, and eventually get it on the track and beat the shit out of it. He's not just going to be a show car, that's why I am not currently worried about the outside of the car at all.

Future plans to keep people interested include:
    - Full resto of the underside over the winter, including new undercoating and rust repair
    - Ground control full coilovers, maybe camber plates
    - ST swaybars front and rear
    - Condor bushing kit
    - Custom stainless exhaust
    - 3.73lsd swap. (4.10 open currently).
    - Any other underside general maintenance

Far future plans that are not set in stone:
    - KA turbo kit, APR head studs, tuned to around 17psi or so. New clutch
    - Mishimoto radiator
    - Exterior paint, same henna color, but repair a few tiny rust spots and pull tons of dents.
    - Corbeau FX driver's seat, A4 passanger (don't want to loose the back seat, and girlfriend likes to recline and sleep during longer show runs).
    - Bolt in half cage (my friend is building a full cage for his 302 Turbo car, so we're going to make a bolt in version of the rear hoop and bars, so I can use it for track days.

Another friend of mine also has euro grills and headlight washers/wipers that I'm getting from him,. After I grab some Smiley headlights for them.
    Last edited by Brainfood; 01-19-2015, 12:04 PM.
    IG @mriterphoto for daily crap / @wheresmy10mil for car/truck shennanigans.

Nice start!
    Good job ditching the racks e30's weren't designed to move houses

Comment

Looking good dude Can't wait to see how it progresses!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1jze30 View Post
        Nice start!
        Good job ditching the racks e30's weren't designed to move houses
        Hhaha, I hear ya. The picnic table was a little uncalled for, I've got some bike racks, but they're only gonna stay on there when I need them, they're going to live on my Cherokee most of the time.

Comment

This is awesome! Laughed pretty hard at the "real WNY car" comment. So true it almost hurts. Keep up the amazing work man, can't wait to get my hands on an e30.
          My Build:

Comment

this just reminded me of my henna-red 320i. E28 535i motor transplant-abundoned project!

All the best man!

Comment

Finally got around to finding some pictures I had put somewhere and all that stuff. So brief updates.

MattAvino hooked me up with Euro bumpers.

(Insert these pictures somewhere before the end of my last post)

And now we pulled him from storage!!! That trailer weights more than the car. The 5.5" lifted XJ with no sways wasn't too happy, but it made it.

I spoiled myself for christmas

Now the part where everyone cringes and I cry. Rust was a lot worse than I thought it was.

Sorry for the crappy picture here, this one is actually mostly surface rust, just some small holes.

Weight reduction #becauseracecar?

Started pulling the front suspension and everything to clean it all up, paint/powder coat/undercoat bits, and install the new coilovers and do an e36 rack swap.

I'll end it with this one: F%&# Racelands. As daily's, they're okay. But I like to drive fast. They don't like that.

That's all for now, I've been too busy to keep cutting and it's been freezing here in Rochester, so when I get some steel and time, I'll keep going.

Comment

Love it man, keep up the good work

Renato
                Team TWM Performance
                TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                sigpic

Comment

Greetings from Buffalo!

can has burnouts?

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

I like this! Also greetings from Upstate!
                    Instagram: @GregKline55

1999 M Coupe
                    1987 325e
                    1987 325IS

Comment

Currently does some burnouts... more will happen when the suspention is finished up, I get a weird hop sometimes haha, and I'm in buffalo a lot, maybe I'll see you Nsogiba

Comment

Its a "bimmer". There is no such thing as a "beemer" There are "beamers", but those are motorcycles.

keep up the good work.
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46504

Comment

I love the VW snowflake wheels on the car. They look bigger than 14's though. Any more info on them?

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

Finally got to doing some more work today that I took the time to document. Going to try and do a lot tomorrow as well, so we'll see how much more gets done. Not doing a ton of welding yet, because I only have a Flux core, so I'm waiting to borrow a buddy's MIG. Not trying to blow holes in everything if I can help it.

Sourced a 944 Booster because things... ;D

Shaving Bae, if you know what I mean!

Start:

Finish (minus welding so far)

Fixing a little more rust... again...

Shit shot of the 3M undercoating I've been doing in most the other spots on the car.

That's all for now, I'll try and shoot all the stuff I do tomorrow, it would be nice to pick up the welder and try to pound out all the sheet metal stuff in one day, or at least a good portion of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaAlpha9 View Post
                              I love the VW snowflake wheels on the car. They look bigger than 14's though. Any more info on them?
                              Totally disregarded this comment, and I apologize! they're Fifteen52 Snowflake reps, 16x8 ET36 (I ran a 20mm spacer though). 205/50 on em, but I just sold them to a guy in RI with a bagged Mini, I'm stoked to see what he does with them when they're refinished.

Comment

Working...
                              X