Project learning curve: my e28 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project learning curve: my e28 build

Hello there, my name is Ryan and this is my e28 build. This car has been my first true build and I've tried and learned a number of new things thanks to this car. Thank you for reading and taking the time to check this out, so without further a due here it is!!

My car is an 88' 535i 5 speed, the car was originally an automatic but was manual swapped by the previous owner, he also installed a couple other goodies (bc coilovers, clutch master clutch) which I'm not mad about at all :0. It was then sold to another owner who owned it for a short period of time before crashing it into something unknown which resulted in, a bent up hood, a smashed in front valence, bent lower and upper control arms, bent tie rod and a missing weld in piece of the bc coilover. At the same time I had purchased an 84' 528e parts car which thankfully supplied all the parts needed (minus the coilover piece) to get this car good and rolling again. Then I finally got to bring my baby home

Here's a picture from the first night I ever drove her<3

And her first day soaking up the sun in the safety of my own driveway

Now that all was good mechanically it was time to start tackling the next major issue, I'm sure all you old bimmer heads can guess what it was...RUST!! woooo!! I found a small hole in the driver floor which I cut out and patched no biggie (will add pics later) and she also came with this...

Thank god for the parts car because that turned into this...

(First time ever welding, it sure isn't beautiful, but hey! you'll never learn anything if you don't try!!)

While I was dealing with the structural rust I also took care of all the aesthetic rust which included: new driver side fender, new sunroof, both driver side doors (not pictured replaced later on), while I was at it I also replaced my bent up hood and my smashed up valence. Oh and I got euro lights :O

before (hard to notice but the valence was basically bent in half lol):

After:

After that I put the whole entire interior back in, the previous owner had stripped it, mmmmm black leather. I also raised the engine just under an inch by stacking washer spacers on the engine mount... m30 problems... (I'll add pics later) Then I got it insured and it was finally time to hit the road and start dailying my love Mandatory photo bomb begin!

Those 15x7 gotti reps just weren't cutting it so I treated myself to something nice...

16x9.5 square set of epsilon southern ways <3

I threw them on but they didn't clear anything front or back (which I had expected) but it looked like this

(don't worry the tiny tires aren't staying they were just the PO's)

The faces needed some freshening up so I split them and re-sprayed them

So eventually I had the center bore bored out and played around with spacers and this was the result

I then ordered spacer which should be here early next week and also grabbed some fresh nankang ns2's in 205/45/16 mmmm proper sized tires

Now the fun part, my friend (e38art) and I decided we would make an attempt at painting our cars, neither of us have ever painted a car before but we've dove head first into every other project before this so why not?! So arts car is now finished and looks great and mine is almost done being prepped (just a little bondo and some fender rolling) and I'm good to go!! We're hoping to be spraying mine sunday and I can hardly wait!!

So here's how she sits today

Big thanks to my good friends Art (e38art) and Mike (Mike from Gt custom exhaust) this couldn't have happened without you!! I'll be adding sounds clips soon of the exhaust gotta love that m30 goodnesss<3
    Last edited by fsiguy; 09-11-2014, 08:12 PM.

quick little clip to show the exhaust

Comment

Looks good dude, what color are you spraying her?

Comment

^^ thanks man! I'm not much for secrets but it's so close I kind of want to just wait for my post on Sunday.

Comment

Yeeeeee buddy looking, sounding good, can't wait to have this thing painted and fitted!
          instagram: @artur_bastos

My e38 Build

Comment

looking good so far. Seen one of these in a local savage yard. These things are Nice!
            "E Dirty Six, Low and Slow"

Check out my build thread
            -------->http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69942

Comment

Originally posted by fsiguy View Post
              ^^ thanks man! I'm not much for secrets but it's so close I kind of want to just wait for my post on Sunday.
              The suspense factor.....dun dun daa..
              Fine ill wait in anticipation.

Comment

Lol that burnout was great.

You're on the right track, keep up the great work.
                BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                Originally posted by Ollie
                We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Excellent job!!!!

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

Thanks guys!!

The car is finally painted, and I honestly couldn't be any happier! The car is finally starting to become exactly what I had visualized the day I picked her up.

I appologize for the shitty update but I'm still waiting on my spacers (supposed to be here a week ago) so I can finally mount my wheels and I want to wetsand and buff it before I take some real pictures

Here she is the night before she went in the booth

All done

Comment

^still not giving the color away^

Comment

subbed for the mystery good job so far, interior shots?

Comment

Originally posted by 1jze30 View Post
                            ^still not giving the color away^
                            I know I suck I just want it to all come together first, it wouldn't do much for anyone posting a car on mismatched wheels that's a foot and a half off the ground. Lol
                            Originally posted by MrViicc View Post
                            subbed for the mystery good job so far, interior shots?
                            Thanks! This is all I have for now, the interior is a mess right now from all the paint job prep but I'll be sure to take better ones once I get her cleaned up.

Nothing crazy just black on black with an mtech wheel and a custom e30 m3 Evo fabric shift boot. The interior is actually in great shape, leather is great and crack free dash. The low mileage really shows.

Comment

Understandable matey, I haven't started a thread for mine cause I havent rounded up any
                              coils yet and I dont want a few hundred people telling me my cars to high and that they can fist my wheel well
                              but clean that bitch up and send some sexy time pic's

Comment

Working...
                              X