240Z Names Lucy *Clean OG*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240Z Names Lucy *Clean OG*

Been a long overdue that I post this on here after selling the Datsun truck.

This one comes with a backstory.

I work in management in retail auto parts. Sucky job, but it pays the bills. In my last 4 years, one of my customers has been bringing by his 240z and every time I told him to make sure if he ever sold it to call me first. Fast forward to earlier this year, he walks in the door and told me he's blown the head gasket, and a few things need work. He tells me a number which just doesn't seem right so I go check the car out. At this point I'm thinking the cars been wrecked. (in a lot of ways it was) The car was an astonishingly clean 240Z. All original, not a single issue. He did an astonishing job of taking care of it until he loaned the car to a girlfriend, and like any great girlfriend she fucking trashed it.

Background on the car: She's an EARLY (03/70) 1970 240Z. Series 1, meaning the earlier of the Z's. Lots of differences between the 72-74 240's. This car was owned by the Arizona Z car treasurer for about 20 years before it made it to GA. The PO (Dean Tilton died a few years back) In late '69-70 Nissan made over 17,000 Z's. This car is #2563 making it one of the earlier in the south east. Probably one of the most original too. This cars value is very high, which is funny because I only paid $1000 for it.

When I first saw the car she looked like this......

That was almost exactly a year prior to these next pictures....

This is how I got her.

(Warning, if you are squeamish please look away.)

Last edited by metalmonkey47; 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM.

A buddy of mine showed up with his truck, and we loaded it on a dolly.

Dropped it off outside of a buddies resto shops for a few days until we could get it into storage.

Now by this point the car was starting to make me sick. The guys ex that drove this thing (into the ground, quite literally) left everything from hair, and empty but molding mcdonalds cups in the car. My awesome girlfriend got in there with me and stripped all of the carpeting out, and scrubbed the car clean. It aired out for literally 2 months before it stopped smelling bad.

Now getting into the issues....

The cool thing about this particular Z is that it's a Series 1 (1970) with a closed chamber head, and flat tops with an external oil spray bar/solid cam. This head gasket was DESTROYED and driven for about 2 months.

Last edited by metalmonkey47; 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

A few pictures of the cleaned up interior.

Got it apart and it's not hard to see where the issues lied with this car.

Not only did I end up replacing the head gasket, but I also had to wrestle out a broken head bolt.

It didn't take me long to re-assemble with a new Maxima head (by new I mean, sat in the corner of the 'shop' and came off of a junkyard car) and toss some ARP studs in there for good measure.

Thanks to the PO for letting a hood rat mother fucker work on it and chop up the PERFECT harness to try and solve a simple headlight and charging issue.

He did all that... because of these 2 fucking dirty carbon'd contacts in the headlight switch.

Last edited by metalmonkey47; 08-21-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Buddies turbo Celica for good measure.

Within 24 hours of putting the car on the road it was fucked for almost a week. I put tires on it, and in the process the clutch master went out... An issue some of these Datsun's have is with the clutch pedal hole where the pin goes in through the clevis ovals out. Had to fuck around to fix that. Ended up re-drilling a new hole forward of the old one. Gives me more adjustment room anyways.

And finally such a sad day, I sold the truck to my buddy. She served me well for SO many years... now she's doing burnouts under another mans foot.

Same day I buffed the turd out and made her look 'remotely' better.

Comment

NOW what does any of this have to do with Stance you say?

Well I'm in the process of fixing her one piece at a time and paying off bills for new photo equipment, so stance is on the back burner until she's 100% dead on reliable.

In the meantime it's just cleaning her up and taking cool pics for a few more months.

Lucy by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

_DSC0521 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

Comment

YASSS Always good to see classic Japanese cars here, especially such early ones.
            -Tanner

1973 Celica
            Tanner Stinson
            ASU '19

Comment

I'm here for the plot.

ENDLESS RIVAL: Art | Automotive Culture

Insta: @endlessrival | @_notlance

Wraith | 1966 Fairlane 500 | Gone
              Six | 1995 S14 | Gone
              Absolution | 1995 E36 | Current

Comment

Damn I love S30s. And I remember seeing your truck a few times when I lived in ATL. Glad to hear it went to a good owner. I'm excited for what you've got planned for this thing.
                Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

this is really, really purrrdy...
                  Like a glove

Comment

Man, where the hell have you been?
                    IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

looking good, I was sad when I saw the truck go and was wondering what you got to replace it.
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                        Man, where the hell have you been?
                        Honestly man, I got tired of the boring car meets. They just all rubbed me wrong... bunch of children always being stupid, then you have the organization plans, etc etc... I haven't really had time for build threads either. Been working my ass off, by the end of the day I just don't feel like getting online. But I'm back!!

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                        looking good, I was sad when I saw the truck go and was wondering what you got to replace it.
                        Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                        Damn I love S30s. And I remember seeing your truck a few times when I lived in ATL. Glad to hear it went to a good owner. I'm excited for what you've got planned for this thing.
                        Thanks guys, bummer that the truck had to go, but I couldn't afford 2 Datsun 'projects' with no real DD. The 240 has been my DD for the last few months, replacing the truck which was a pain in the ass to drive because of the built motor and heavy clutch.

I'll get straight to the point and post my plans in a little bit.

Comment

Good story, good car, good wheel plans, will be fun watching this.

Comment

so much potential. keep it coming!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Originally posted by metalmonkey47 View Post
                              Honestly man, I got tired of the boring car meets. They just all rubbed me wrong... bunch of children always being stupid, then you have the organization plans, etc etc... I haven't really had time for build threads either. Been working my ass off, by the end of the day I just don't feel like getting online. But I'm back!!
                              You were going to the wrong meets haha
                              IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Working...
                              X