1984 VW Rabbit 4door Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 VW Rabbit 4door Build Thread

I bought my 1984 VW Rabbit in June after looking for a MK1 for ~2 months. It was a four door, which doesn't bother me. Heres a picture of my past 2 rabbits, and my new one (white). This was right after I bought it.

I daily drove it for about 2 months

And then it stopped running. Some sort of electrical problem. Lots of dumb wiring from the previous owner. But then I got a 16v Scirocco!

Had Raceland coilovers, 16v, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Unfortunately, the PO screwed me on the title, and so I had to figure out what to do with it. So, I swapped the coilovers, and pulled the 16v.

Test fitted the Enkeis from the scirocco

But I decided I wanted to go trendier

Back coilovers installed, with new wheels (Prime 250s)

All four corners done. GTI flares taken off, showing worst rust spot on the car.

Scirocco leather buckets installed

Dirty girl after a few hard days of work, but it ran for a little bit!

16v is out, ready to get cleaned up.

(it was in there scary, missing bolts on all of the mounts, bad wiring)

So thats where I'm at right now. I'm going to try and 16v swap it before I start school in september, I'll keep everyone updated

so far so good.... any turbo plans for 16v?

Comment

Originally posted by b5Avant View Post
      so far so good.... any turbo plans for 16v?
      I thought about it, but I'm going into college and I need a "daily driver". Hopefully a 16v will fix the issues the 8v is having at ~207,xxx miles

Comment

I did a little work yesterday, no major progress

Ripped out this dumb tach the PO installed and never wired

Battery tray shot. Pretty clean, but its coming out

Hood off, fenders taped

More taping. This fender bugs me

Dumb

Better

Comment

I'm pooping so I thought I'd update the thread. No pictures yet, I'll upload some this afternoon. Getting ready to swap the 16v in along with the 10.1" rotors from the Rocco. The 8v is almost ready to come out, just needs the axles taken out and the exhaust disconnected. I'm probably going to trailer it to my grandpa's house late today and use his a-frame to lift the 8v out, because that's way easier than taking it out the bottom like I did with the 16v.

Last edited by paddy_hanley; 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Waiting on some cash flow to get clutch, timing belt, and some other stuff for the 16v. Starting school in 2 weeks, and I need it up and running. TIme crunch, but I should be able to get the 16v fixed by the end of this week, and get the 16v in and wired in the next week.

Last edited by paddy_hanley; 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

You're making good progress! Your past cars look cool.
              It looks like you have a good base for this project.
              Do you still have the scirocco shell? It might sound/be crazy, but I think it would look really cool if you swapped the grille and lights from the scirocco onto the rabbit. I've never seen that done before. Good job and good luck whatever you do

Edit::::: only if the rocco has rect. lights. Double rounds are boring
              Last edited by acidlips242; 09-09-2014, 01:45 AM. Reason: Vodka powerade

Comment

Originally posted by acidlips242 View Post
                You're making good progress! Your past cars look cool.
                It looks like you have a good base for this project.
                Do you still have the scirocco shell? It might sound/be crazy, but I think it would look really cool if you swapped the grille and lights from the scirocco onto the rabbit. I've never seen that done before. Good job and good luck whatever you do

Edit::::: only if the rocco has rect. lights. Double rounds are boring
                Yeah, I have the rocco shell still. I've thought about it, I was actually in the process of taking the lights off the other day to try that out. And yes they are the dual rectangle USDM scirocco. I also thought about making a rocco trailer for my rabbit.

Comment

Do the trailer save the squares [_]====vw====[_]

Comment

Looking good man....want to sell those black wheels off of the rocco?

Comment

Working...
                    X