Laws for riding low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws for riding low?

So i know S|W has visitors from all over the globe, and was wondering how strict are the laws for riding low in other places.

Here in Brazil you can't lower your car, not even an inch without getting a ticket and wasting your time "fixing" your car for police inspection (a very rigorous one).

If you really want your ride to get low, it has to be at least 10 cm (about 4 inches) from the ground and you have to pay almost $500 and pass another rigorous inspection.

Also, no poke and wheels can't be more than 2" of original wheel.

It sucks.

Post your country's laws for riding low, if there's any.

From Brazil with Love

Lucky for us in FL, nobody seems to care what you do to your car.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
    And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

That's the way it should be right? You pay for your car, you do whatever the fudge you want with it!

From Brazil with Love

Comment

I agree. the only thing I don't agree with is tuning your vehicle to roll coal (blow thick clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust) other than that you should be able to do what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by MuggingMeatballs View Post
          That's the way it should be right? You pay for your car, you do whatever the fudge you want with it!
          For sure. I read somewhere that Toronto banned cars that are "stanced"

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
          And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

Technically, in Oregon, the lowest point of the body of the car can be no lower than the bottom of the wheel rim. I've never seen or heard of it being enforced, and with 35 or 40-series tires, that is really low.

No inspections, just smog in the cities. If we could get rid of our front license plates, it'd be just about perfect.

Comment

Smog is the biggest problem here.
              It's pretty common to get your hood popped and all you can do is hope the officer has no idea what he is looking at. My friend has an rb20 in his 240, but the cop couldn't figure out that something was different so he gave him a state inspection ticket and that is basically a death sentence.
              If you are unlucky enough, you can run into a roadblock full of cops and state inspectors where they stop almost every car and inspect them for illegal modifications or other violations.
              It gets pretty ridiculous.

Comment

In the UK we're allowed poke but tyre tread must be inside the wheel arch. No law for how low we can go, if you get caught throwing sparks then thats just tough and you'll probably get a ticket for 'no suspension travel' or 'dangerous modification etc' but there is no actual law.

Pretty lenient over here
                -SW|UK-
                Education - Knowledge - Power
                insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

bags are not allowed
                  when you have coilovers, they have to have a certification, where your exact ground clearance and camber are mentioned, and after setting them you have to "lock" them (however nobody does that)
                  ground clearance at least 100mm
                  no poke
                  engine mods are a pain in the ass to get cleared
                  need i go on

lucky it's not germany tho with their TÜV, or OZ with their defects
                  Last edited by P78; 07-28-2014, 02:47 AM.
                  Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                    bags are not allowed
                    when you have coilovers, they have to have a certification, where your exact ground clearance and camber are mentioned, and after setting them you have to "lock" them (however nobody does that)
                    ground clearance at least 100mm
                    no poke
                    engine mods are a pain in the ass to get cleared
                    need i go on
                    That's actually pretty similar over here. Last year we could only have a static setup but now we can have any since it's lowest reach is 100mm from the ground. No engine mods or swap allowed.

Originally posted by stinkinrich View Post
                    In the UK we're allowed poke but tyre tread must be inside the wheel arch. No law for how low we can go, if you get caught throwing sparks then thats just tough and you'll probably get a ticket for 'no suspension travel' or 'dangerous modification etc' but there is no actual law.

Pretty lenient over here
                    Well then, i know where to i'm moving.

From Brazil with Love

Comment

Originally posted by stinkinrich View Post

Pretty lenient over here
                      Sure about that mate?
                      I live in Faroe Island, and we have a few laws, but the police does not car as long as you drive like a sane person.
                      The one law i think apply to you guys as well, is the head lamp of the car shall be 50 cm of the ground at least.
                      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Yes there is the headlight height law but doesnt really effect the chassis-to-floor legalities.
                        -SW|UK-
                        Education - Knowledge - Power
                        insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

Not much here in NY. I used to inspect cars for the state and when I went to class for my inspection license there was never any mention of lowered cars or poking wheels. As long as the spring look good, the suspension is tight, and the brakes are good you're good to go. We do have emissions standards and those can be a pain. No check engine light and for most cars you're only allowed to have 1 emissions monitor not pass.

I've been pulled over when my car looked like the pic below. It was at night and the cop kind of looked it over but he never said anything about it. I also got stopped at a border patrol road block and they never gave me a hard time. They were more interested if I raced it and what Stance|Works was. Pretty cool guys.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                            lucky it's not germany tho with their TÜV...
                            Yeah germany.., most stuff needs a certification for this certain vehicle, rims, suspension,
                            bumpers, seats/seat-rails, cams, exhaust, EVERYTHING...

If you have an old car you want to modify in the style from (e.g.) the 90s, you need
                            the certification for that part, but these certification pass off...
                            Also most of this stuff need to be signed in the vehicle registration if there is no
                            ABE (general operating permit)... witch is $$$.
                            They (TÜV) even specify the tyremake and model...

Your round clearance needs to be 11cm (~4" ) from the lowest part, or your headlight
                            needs to be 50cm (~20")above the street level.
                            No carzy poke, but that's only applies to built date xx/xx/1995 and up,
                            before that you good...

But if the TÜV inspector know what he does, you can get almost everything
                            certified (like a BMW engine in a Mercedes or Mercedes rims on a VW, adapters),
                            even if their is no certification or a certification form another car,
                            its called individual acceptance...

But if you don't drive like an idiot, throw sparks everywhere or too ridiculous fitment,
                            the cops don't bother to much.., but if they get you, you're done.., sometimes they
                            impound your car right away...

Then everything needs to be put back to legal specs (not the parts, but ride height,
                            mufflers back in, etc. ), get it inspected, and then you get you car back...

But the most important thing is not to get caught

tl: dr: germay sucks if you want modify you car...
                            Last edited by OrangeBlue; 07-30-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

I think bad emissions are illegal everywhere, but here they don't seen to care so much.

TÜV seems really tough

But lower your car my friend and you will be pulled over, you will get your car towed away, you will pay for it oh you will.

Cops be like

From Brazil with Love

Comment

Working...
                              X