This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Ride: What to Buy (complete list)

Hey folks. A while ago, when I first started becoming interested in air suspension, I spent lots of time scouring around for a complete list of pieces and parts needed for a full air suspension system. I found many threads saying I needed bags, a compressor, a manifold, and a tank. To me, that was worthless. I already knew the basics, I just wanted to make sure I didn't look over anything small.

I've spent the past couple of weeks putting together another kit, and I thought it would be beneficial to make a complete list of everything a person should need. The first time around, I used manual paddle valves because I was trying to go as cheap as possible. This time, I'm still trying to spend as little as possible, but I couldn't do the paddle valves again. They sucked. Running that much airline and being so slow was really stupid. So this time I went for the VU4.

Bagriders is a great place, with a lot of helpful people. I looked around and found out that they are also usually the cheapest and most reliable place to find the parts I needed. However, I did buy a few things off of Amazon and Ebay just because I couldn't justify spending more than I needed to for the same product. But make sure you remember that Bagriders does offer price matching.

I'm going to leave out the actual bags because it's really the only part of the puzzle that's specific to each car. But if you want to know, I'm going to use airlift's lifestyle universal struts.

Okay, enough of that. On to the list:

Manifold: I went with the VU4 from Bagriders because it's easy to install, reliable, small, and compact.

Compressors: I decided on dual 444c Viar compressors. I chose dual 444c because they are big enough to have a pretty short fill time, but also compact enough to hide away in my trunk. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-444C-Dual-Value-Pack/dp/B0036XGKDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405761918&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+444c"]Amazon[/ame] and [ame="http://bagriders.com/modlab/products/VIAIR-444C-COMPRESSOR-DUAL-PACK.html"]Bagriders[/ame] both have the same kits with the same parts included at about the same price. But I found a better option. I found a killer deal on [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viair-444C-Chrome-Dual-Compressor-FREE-5-gallon-Air-Tank-Ride-bag-kit-200psi-/201087091886?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item2ed1b984ae&vxp=mtr#ht_5023wt_916"]eBay[/ame]. Here's a dual 444c kit with the mounting hardware and filters like in the kits on Amazon and Bagriders, but they also throw in the relays, the pressure switch, AND A 5 GALLON TANK. That's right. And this kit only costs $329 with free shipping, $10 more than Amazon and Bagriders. And that brings me to the tank.

Tank: Included in the compressor kit above, is a free five gallon tank. A three gallon tank doesn't hold enough air, and a seven gallon tank is just too big to have in your trunk(in my personal opinion). This tank has nine fitting altogether. Some people may find that this is too many. I find that it is a nice number. I just wish that they had different sized ports but it really doesn't matter. The sizes of the nine ports are: (4x) 1/2 NPT along the face, (2x) 3/8 NPT one on both ends, and (3x) 1/4 NPT two on the left side and one on the underside for a drain.

Gauges: The best way to go without a doubt is the Triple Gauge Combo Kit from Bagriders. Their kit includes almost everything necessary to install your gauges. The only things they don't provide is obviously a place to mount them considering every car's dashboard is different, and for my setup because of the port sizes on the tank, a fitting for the tank to send the pressure to the tank gauge(which I will go over in the fittings section). They even offer different colors of backlights for the gauges to match your instrument lighting in your car. I thought that was pretty cool.

Switchbox/Controller: I debated on buying a switchbox, or even making my own, but in the end I decided to go with four simple toggle switches. I bought a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/VALVE-WIRING-HARNESS-ACCUAIR-STRIPPED/dp/B00J2I66Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405763666&sr=8-1&keywords=vu4+wiring+harness"]VU4 Wiring Harness from Amazon[/ame] and four SPDT (on) off (on) toggle switches that you can get anywhere. For those of you who don't know, SPDT means Single Post Double Throw and (on) off (on) means momentary on - off - momentary on which means that the switch normally stays in the middle in the off position but you can toggle it two different directions to control two different things. In this case each switch controls the up and down functions for each corner. The wiring for this harness is pretty much straight forward. You attach each wire to it's correct post on it's correct toggle switch. There are also auxiliary wires to power the compressors. I will add a nice detailed diagram with exactly how to wire up the switches with the harness and how to add in the auxiliary wires for the compressors. Or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll forget.

Water Traps: Bagriders offers a couple of really nice water traps. They are aesthetically pleasing and from what I've heard they work well. But once again, I went the cheaper way. I went on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Regulator-lubricator-Control-Separator/dp/B00CGNVHLK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1405764698&sr=8-4&keywords=water+trap+3%2F8"]Amazon[/ame] and ordered these. They are regulators/water traps but it really doesn't matter. The max pressure is 150psi, exactly like the traps from Bagriders. They aren't the best looking, but for my setup they will be hidden. Looks were the last thing I was worried about.

Leader Lines: Leader lines were included with the front struts I'm using, but I also wanted leader lines for the rears. Bagriders has their leader lines, but I found mine on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Viair-92804-Stainless-Braided-without/dp/B000YC5IG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405765203&sr= 1-1&keywords=leader+lines"]Amazon[/ame] for a bit cheaper.

Air Line: I went for 3/8 line from Bagriders. It's big enough to maintain high inflate/deflate speeds, but small enough to easily run through your car. I bought 50 feet just to have a little extra just in case. It's pretty cheap so it really doesn't hurt to buy extra.

Okay people, it's time for the fun part-

Like I said earlier, the tank has nine ports. Here is how they will be used:
    1/2- Compressor input
    1/2- Compressor input
    1/2- Output to water trap/ manifold
    1/2- Output to water trap/ manifold
    3/8- Pressure switch
    3/8- Cap/ inflation valve
    1/4- Tank gauge
    1/4- Cap
    1/4- Drain cock

Fittings: I got all of my fittings from Bagriders. They had everything I needed so it was easier to get everything from them.

(4x) 3/8 PTC to 1/4 NPT(female) bulkhead- Between the leader lines and the 3/8 air line. I'll drill holes in the wheel wells and throw these there so it's a nice transition out of the wheel well and into the cabin of the car.

(8x) 3/8 PTC to 1/4 NPT(male) straight- Threaded into the manifold for the intake, exhaust, and out to the bags. I bought the VU4 with these fittings already installed, so I don't need to buy these. But if you buy the VU4 without them, then these are what you need.

(4x) 1/8 PTC to 1/4 NPT(male) straight- Threaded into the manifold for the readings on the gauges. These are included with the Triple Gauge Combo Kit. You will not have to buy these if you buy the kit.

(5x) 1/8 PTC to 1/8 NPT(female) straight- Threaded onto the back of the gauges. These are included with the Triple Gauge Combo Kit. You will not have to buy these if you buy the kit.

(1x) 1/8 PTC to 1/4 NPT(male) straight- Threaded into the tank. This is for the tank gauge. There is a 1/8 NPT(male) included with the Triple Gauge Combo Kit but for the tank I bought, I needed the 1/4 NPT.

(2x) 1/2 NPT(male) to 3/8 NPT(male) hex nipple- Threaded into the tank and water trap. This goes to the watertrap. The watertrap is connected right to the tank in my setup.

(2x) 3/8 PTC to 3/8 NPT(male) straight- Threaded into the water trap. The line that goes into these go to the manifold.

(2x) 3/8 PTC to 1/4 NPT(female) straight- Threaded onto the leader lines coming off the compressors. The line that goes into these goes the the tank.

(2x) 3/8 PTC to 1/2 NPT(male) straight- Threaded into the tank. The line from the compressors goes into these.

(1x) 3/8 NPT(male) to 1/4 NPT(female) reducer bushing- Threads into the tank. The pressure switch supplied with my compressor/tank kit threads into this. The pressure switch included with mine is 1/4 NPT while most are 1/8 NPT so keep that in mind.

(1x) 1/4 NPT(male) hex plug- Threaded into the tank. This is just a cap because you don't need this port.

(1x) 3/8 NPT(male) hex plug- Threaded into the tank. This is just a cap because you don't need this port.
    -OR-
    (1x) 3/8 NPT(male) to 1/8 NPT(female) reducer bushing- Threads into the tank. This inflation valve threads into the reducer. The inflation valve is used if your compressors give you problems and you need to charge your tank at a gas station or with another compressor.

(1x) 1/4 NPT(male) drain cock- Threaded into the tank. This is to drain the air from your tank if you need to do that for some reason.
    -OR-
    (1x) 1/4 NPT(male) safety valve- Threaded into the tank. This is a valve that opens up at a certain pressure incase your compressors act up and decide they don't want to turn off. (Damn, thank you Sam)

Alright, so that's everything I'm using for my air setup. I hope this helps some of you to better understand the systems. Don't be afraid to go for air ride. It's super easy once you have it all figured out. If anyone has anything to add, please let me know.

In the future I plan to add more information for other management options.
    Last edited by veedubbin; 08-31-2014, 08:27 AM.

Great info! I did notice you're missing one part I think is essential: a safety valve. If your pressure switch fails to shut down your compressors for any reason, the safety valve will open, preventing your tank from being filled beyond its rated pressure.

Are you looking at all for those of us with different equipment to post the details of our setups?

Comment

Nice write up, I'm sure others will find this very helpful when piecing together their own air ride setups.

No need to buy from Amazon or Ebay in the future though! We'll price match them all day!

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Originally posted by rali@bagriders View Post
        nice write up, i'm sure others will find this very helpful when piecing together their own air ride setups.

No need to buy from amazon or ebay in the future though! We'll price match them all day!
        oh nice i have seen some smc water traps from a different website would you guys price match them??

Comment

Originally posted by TONY0305 View Post
          oh nice i have seen some smc water traps from a different website would you guys price match them??
          Of course! Just shoot me a PM or send us an email and we'll take care of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Rali@BagRiders View Post
            Of course! Just shoot me a PM or send us an email and we'll take care of you!
            Ok cool because I plan to use copper for my hardlines what ptc fitting work best??? I also might want to have flare fittings...what do you guys have that work good with copper??

Comment

Originally posted by TONY0305 View Post
              Ok cool because I plan to use copper for my hardlines what ptc fitting work best??? I also might want to have flare fittings...what do you guys have that work good with copper??
              We have found that the SMC DOT ptc fittings (the ones with the inner sleeve to hold the line in place) work best for hardline setups. When it comes to the lines themselves, copper has more impurities than other metals so sometimes you won't get accurate bends. If you're set on the copper lines, they can definitely work fine but aluminum lines will be easier to work with overall.

We are working on adding some more compression fittings to our site. The ones we will be adding are stainless and do not require you to flare the ends. We have brass compression fittings on the site right now that work great and don't require flairing either.

Comment

Originally posted by rali@bagriders View Post
                we have found that the smc dot ptc fittings (the ones with the inner sleeve to hold the line in place) work best for hardline setups. When it comes to the lines themselves, copper has more impurities than other metals so sometimes you won't get accurate bends. If you're set on the copper lines, they can definitely work fine but aluminum lines will be easier to work with overall.

We are working on adding some more compression fittings to our site. The ones we will be adding are stainless and do not require you to flare the ends. We have brass compression fittings on the site right now that work great and don't require flairing either.
                ok so i was wondering if i could use a -6an male fitting and screw it onto my tank that has a 3/8 npt port? Is this possible?

Comment

-6AN won't thread to 3/8 NPT. -8 is closer, but you'll still need to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
                    -6AN won't thread to 3/8 NPT. -8 is closer, but you'll still need to adapt.
                    Thanks I think I figured out how I'm going to do my hardline setup thanks though

Comment

Great info for those of us just starting to get into air suspension!
                      Originally posted by cobrawannabe
                      More lotion.

My build thread

Instagram: Franswishaaa

Comment

Originally posted by siopaolover View Post
                        Great info for those of us just starting to get into air suspension!
                        Thanks man. I'm hoping this helps at least a few people before it gets buried forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
                          Great info! I did notice you're missing one part I think is essential: a safety valve. If your pressure switch fails to shut down your compressors for any reason, the safety valve will open, preventing your tank from being filled beyond its rated pressure.

Are you looking at all for those of us with different equipment to post the details of our setups?
                          Yes. I've had my relay fail causing my compressors to remain on. This is crucial
                          Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

Just gonna bump this. To keep it present. I had found this when I was first looking into my air ride, and then between here and Air Society, I couldn't find it again.

There is really good information in here for anyone trying to plan their system, or anyone new to air.

Thanks OP.

Comment

Thank you, as someone whose overwhelmed by air ride and trying to figure out his setup this really helped.

Comment

Working...
                              X