1980 Saab 900 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Saab 900 Turbo

The truth is... this project started with the rims.

I was in Sacramento to pick up a basketcase 1987 Saab 900 turbo. The original owner actually won the lottery and gave it to a friend. The friend drove it till the battery died, then put it out to pasture. I found it on CL and took a train from Utah over Donner Pass to see it. Bought it for a song. It was full of black widows... The name stuck. Black Widow.

Anyway, that's a totally different car story for a totally different day. On the way back, I found a post for a set of unique Saab rims for $750. That price was so nuts, I had to see them. Turned out to be original Epsilon 15x6.5s. Black centers with all lugs and center caps. The story went that the rims had been custom made by a dealer in CA who was selling Saab 900 turbos alongside Porsche 911s in 1986. He wanted similar sex appeal, so he had a batch made. I've only run across 2 more of the sets on Saab 900s. I couldn't turn them down. Offered him less than half and he took it.

It took another two years to find the car for them. When it came up, I recognized it immediately. 1980 Saab 900 turbo with 87k miles. Sat in the high desert in Oregon for almost 15 years before an enthusiast rescued her and rebuilt the engine and turbo. Only one partial picture came with the ad (the one below - it's the blue one). It was such a tease. The owner had since moved to the other side of the country and had no way to take more pics. Didn't matter - I was enchanted by it. He was flying out for one day, so I told him I would meet him.

Took a 28 hour bus ride to get to it. Sat next to some REAL characters. One guy had just gotten out of jail for possession and was on his way to Oregon to start a medical marijuana farm. Said it was what he was really good at.

A friend met me at the station in Eugene and I crashed with him. He told me i was crazy for coming so far to buy a car I'd never seen... that hadn't even been started in over a year! AND expecting it to make the drive home. I agreed.

The next day, the guy showed up with the car. I watched it come up the road. Like seeing your future love for the first time and KNOWING. Just knowing. She was loud, but not too loud. Old loud. With maybe a hole in the muffler. Straight as an arrow. But the interior was destroyed. Headliner falling down. Seats a mess. Dash with Grand Canyon cracks. Wheels pitted. Tires bald.

But man, the patina!

She had been blasted in the desert. It looked like a painting. No, it looked like a car that should not be alive.

...I HAD to have it.

She drove beautifully, albeit the terrible brake squeal. I paid him his asking price and for a barter of one custom pencil drawing (my trade), he threw in a whole set of original shop manuals that had never been opened! As I drove away, I had no idea if I would make it back, but somehow I was not worried at all.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 11-19-2014, 09:24 PM.

When I got onto the highway, I let her open up. Headed up the Hood River, the turbo hit the red line with ease, and she FLEW! As if to say, "I've been sitting for so long! Thank you for letting me go."

At a rest stop, I pulled in to check the fluids and a guy pulled up in a new Mustang. "DANG!!!" He said. "That thing is FAST!! You flew by me!! What kind of car IS that???" I told him it was a Saab. He started combing over the engine, commenting on the mechanical fuel injection, rebuilt turbo, weird sideways engine, etc. I already had a fan.

14 hours later, I pulled into town. It was late at night and I was dead tired. But could hardly sleep. It was like Christmas eve. This was waiting the next morning:

Comment

is this a SPG?

I love the old SAAB 900s
      1968 1600SP Beetle build thread

Comment

INTERIOR REFURB:

The next day, I got right into it. Interior was first. The PO explained that he had searched for years for original replacement seat skins. Finally someone in Australia replied with the perfect NOS set. He bought them and had them shipped over, but never got around to installing them. I found them still in the box as they had been shipped from Australia.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Next, the headliner. My wife had been bugging me to figure out how to reupholster furniture so we could make our couch look cool. I figured I would start with something a little more simple. They just happened to have a sale that day at the fabric store - $4 for a ton of scrap brown antique-leather look vinyl and a button maker, and ... deep Victorian buttoned headliner.

Next, tackled the cracked dash. Filled with Padded Dash Filler from Urathane Supply Co, and covered with black PlastiDip. Worked great! For a while...

Then added some accessories - Original Saab MOMO Sport and Rally steering wheel, rare 1980 Saab accessory center console with original working gauges (all found in Utah junkyards for nearly free after making fast friends with the junkyard attendants and owners who had a soft spot for Saabs).

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

more!

that headliner is pimp

Comment

Originally posted by Z33_Taxi View Post
            is this a SPG?

I love the old SAAB 900s
            Nope - the SPG's didn't arrive in the states until 1985.

Comment

ENGINE CLEAN UP:

Next, a quick engine polish and painted valve cover:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comment

ACCESSORIES:

Now some accessories. The local tow-truck driver was restoring a c900. When he came over to pick up one of my parts cars, we made fast friends and he became my source for parts cars all around the state. He clued me in to field and barn finds, private yards, and untouched treasures like: Original Saab rear widow louvers, NOS Bosch rally lights and fog lights with matching unused covers, Original Saab roof rack, etc.

And finally, to fit up the wheels. These had been waiting patiently in my basement for a long time while I built a car just for them... (don't judge the tires - they were free)

Comment

THE VISION...

Finally it was time for a vision. I drew from a number of different builds and countless hours of research to form an idea and put it together on Photoshop...

Inspiration: Schwartz's 1974 99T:

Luke's 1979 900 GLi:

And finally, the Photoshop edition:

Comment

SUSPENSION:

Routine repairs followed: new performance exhaust, new brakes, repaired odometer (three times), tune up, etc.

Then, the find of a lifetime! A guy in Denver had been building a c900 track car when he found out his wife was pregnant. Bailed on the build and fire-sold the parts. I picked up a full set of new Konis with Swedish Dynamics lowering springs for a song! They're not coilovers, but I knew I would be travelling back roads soon and it was about as low as I was ready for at that point. I took the opportunity to also:
                    • Swap all the front hubs, axles and brakes out for a set from an '86 900 SPG (with vented rotors and room for an upgrade to Wilwoods)
                    • Front and rear sway bars from a '90 900 SPG
                    • Adjustable aluminum panhard rod from 9Sport
                    • AirLift bags in back
                    • Welded up some modified trailing arms to relocate the rear axle for lowered suspension.

Comment

I have been waiting for this build thread for so long. Glad to see you posting on here. And if you ever want to sell those Epsilons, you know where to find me
                      -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
                      -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
                      -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
                      -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

NEW PAINT

As much as I loved the patina, there was too much exposed bare metal, and surface rust was starting to show. It was time to commit to the project and find a painter. I thought about painting it myself, or having a friend teach me, but in the end with a baby on the way, I just didn't have time. I ended up finding a local shop that did full tear-down rat-rod builds, and were looking for side work between jobs. I got an incredible deal for a paint job that was just high enough quality to last, and just low enough quality to pass for original! I stripped it all down myself and let them go to work. In the mean time, I decided to add a couple of rare accessories - 1979 hatch with deleted inner brake lights, 1979 rear corners with chrome trim, new windshield, 1978 Saab 99 "WagonBack" vents, and Saab Sport and Rally aluminum skidplate.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comment

AND... ENJOY!

Added some finishing touches - 1979 c900 EMS grille shipped from Australia, all refinished wheel arch and window trim, refinished mirrors and bumpers with new chrome, NOS Bosch rally lights, NOS Bosch amber fogs, refinished front spoiler from a 1986 c900 turbo, deleted side trim and emblems, and original Saab luggage rack from a 1960's Saab 96 (stored in a guy's garage since the 1970's before I found it).

This was about a year ago. Since then, we've moved to the East coast where rust free Saabs are mythical. This one gets notes on the windshield every other day and double-takes from every closet Saab addict. On the future addition list are: Original period-correct Omni-Cool racing intercooler, DIY stainless steel fuel lines, drilled and vented rotors, Wilwood brakes, 16x7 Epsilons with 195-45 tires, lower springs, stainless dual-tip exhaust with deleted cat, "Saab Turbo" rally stripes, reproduction Saab Rally fender flares, reproduction Saab Sport and Rally corduroy seat covers, and maybe water-injection?

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 07-11-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

That seemed like quite the painless, non-dramatic build, nice job!

Comment

Thanks! This is definitely the nut-shell version, but overall, it's been by far the least dramatic build I've done. She just has seemed since the beginning to really want this.

Though the steering rack has been weeping since we left Oregon...

Comment

Working...
                              X