Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW E39 523iA Touring LPG

So,

I sold my E38 because I needed something that got better MPG and also because I wanted a wagon.

So I picked this up today.

It's a '98 523iA Touring, converted to LPG fuel. So it's super cheap to run since a liter of LPG costs around 60 - 70 cents (in €) here.

It's still on the p/o's tags, getting new tags on saturday.

When I got home after picking it up:

Drove it over to my workshop:

LPG conversion:

And a quick wash:

And it even passed the dog test!

It has a few issues, visual things mostly, but these will be taken care of... first things first is to install some leather, then coils.

Since my 3 will be down for a longer time frame as I'm planning a full rebuild, this will have to check all the boxes until then... cheap to run, lots of room and looking good. Let's see what I can do with this...

Real work will start after I'm back from Gatebil next month... the epic roadtrip (1400km one way, so 2800km in total) will be a nice test for the E39, haha.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

nice, i'm subscribed!
    Facebook Sander Zuurbier
    Instagram sanderz28

Twingo RS

Comment

Registered.

I will probably buy a parts car after Gatebil to source all the missing options I want.

Comment

Looking great man. Colour is really nice!

Comment

Cleans up nicely Bas!

Tow bar provisions on the rear?

Comment

To keep you guys updated...

I went to Gatebil with the car...

It was AWESOME. Hands down the most incredible car related event I've ever attended.

Took as 19 hours to drive there; we ran around the whole day photographing the event and various cars, spent most of the night editing pictures and did it all over, for 3 days straight. We went home sunday afternoon but the event took it's toll... on the way home I fell asleep for a second and made friends with a guard rail.

So... I bought another Touring, a 520i Individual with a engine that wouldn'T start.

And parted it out.

Mine got 2 front fenders, the hood, 3 doors and the hatch will eventually be swapped as well.

And I partially installed the nice leather interior... only missing the front seats, which will be installed next week because I need to do the wiring first.

Then also installed cupholders.

And last, I dropped the car of at a panelbeater's and had the quarterpanel fixed and the rear arches pulled. Will need some more fine tweaking, but there's already lots of room.

Picked up some wheels.

RH ZW1 in 8.5 x 17 and 10 x 17.

Fronts will be 10x17 with 3.25" lips and 215/45
            Rears will be 11.25x17 with 4.5" lips and 245/40

Kind of like this... ZW3 in 9.5X17 and 11.25x17 with 215-45 und 245-40

And ZW1 in 10J and 11.25J probably with 215-45 and 255-40

Once suspension is in and wheels are on and everything is dialed in, this ol thing will be repainted.

Comment

oh build thread

missed it the first time
              Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Comment

Looks great
                  Lucky break with the barrier
                  Could have been a lot worse!
                  BULLSHIT BUILD-THREAD

Comment

I don't get why you're parting the other car. Didn't it just need a simple engine work or even swap. Hell you could've made one really nice car with proper panels and one to part out with everything beat up?

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

The other one was just a 520, which is pure torture to drive. Mine is a 523 equipped with a LPG fuel conversion, which would be more hassle to swap over than it would be to fix mine up.

Also, the 520 had quite some rust from a shoddy damage repair which I found underneath the rear bumper / rear inner arch liner on the drivers side... would've needed some welding.

As it is, mine only needs paint now and then it's good as new. Spent yesterday wiring up the front seats, finishing up today, then the interior is inally complete.

Comment

Love the effort going into the daily Bas!

Comment

Thanks Neil!

Update: Finally fitted the front seats. Wiring is not 100% completed. Electrical adjustment works, but memory and heating doesn't work yet. Something I'll need to address later on.

Also got around to fitting a baggage net to the passenger footwell.

Comment

That new interior is pretty cool, can't wait to see the wheels done!

3/96 Build Date, Montreal Blue, 304,310 miles and counting...

Comment

those wheels look great, can't wait to see them on!
                              1987 325is
                              1988 528e
                              #30Furdayz

Comment

Working...
                              X