Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanilla Fitment - '95 FTO

Warning: image heavy!

Howdy folks. Going to be a long first post, so I hope you don't get bored!

Back in February of last year I became the proud and enthusiastic owner of a 1995 Mitsubishi FTO GPX. Totally stock, save a front strut brace from the Version R, and a set of lowering springs. Bought it from the vice pres' of the FTO Australia club/forum as a fix-up-and-move-on.

Quick shot I took on the over 1200km one-day journey home from where I flew over to pick it up.

First wash the day after getting it home.

Some good and bad points (like you get).

- 2.0L V6 6A12 MIVEC engine
    - decent paint for age (usual dings excepted)
    - sunroof (good and not-so)
    - highish 183xxx kms
    - 4 speed semi-automatic tiptronic gearbox
    - generally tidy interior

Standard 16x6.5 +38 alloys.

Needed new rear tyres, which I sorted out before I left and had the fronts swapped to the back. And had overheating troubles on the way home, which ended up being an 80% blocked radiator. Bit of an expensive beginning to the ownership, but the guy I bought the car off gave me a little reimbursement for the trouble (he had swapped the original radiator because he believed this one was in better nick), so that was appreciated. Then I got onto the more interesting bits!

Picked up some Bendix Ultimate pads from a club member.

And a rear strut brace off another. Didn't expect the improvement in handling would be so dramatic for a piece of metal in the boot!

Bought some RDA slotted and dimpled rotors in a group buy for a decent price (neglected to take a shot of them outside of the plastic).

Then was the thing I was most keen to do. Spent a good many weeks pestering people on the FTO forum, looking at pictures and prices and sizes and consulting willtheyfit.com. Finally decided on a set of Enkei RPF1s.

17x9 +22

And then this happened:

It was pouring down rain in the city while I was on the way to a mate's place to get the rotors and pads on, and do a full bleed of the brake fluid. About halfway there it started hailing. I'd never driven on hail before, and never since, so I was rather uneasy about it, and at the end of the street is a sweeping left hand bend I didn't want to try to turn.

So, while trying to do the sensible thing and pull over, I immediately lose all traction and slide into a parked car. Was not ideal. Fortunately I had a pad of paper and a pen in my glovebox, so I left a note with my details on the windscreen of the car I hit as they weren't there at the time.

Was like that for a few months before I could sort it with my insurance company. In the meantime I trial fitted the RPF1s.

And eventually got some tyres on them too. Ended up going with some 235/45 Kumho KU31s. 5% larger sidewall than what is correct for the speedometer, but the tyres were a good $100 cheaper each (no brainer to me!)

After what felt like forever it finally made it into the shop!

And since I was already paying my $1100 excess, I negotiated with my insurance to replace the bar with another style, including the facelift headlights from the 1997+ models. The bar is from the facelift model, with a Dcuatro lip moulded on. It was put together by the same guy I bought the car off, and produced by a fibreglasser contact of his (who have now unfortunately closed shop).

I took a snap of it in the primer when I dropped the wheels off to be fitted as well.

Since the front fenders were getting repainted anyway, I conveniently had all the guards rolled before it occurred. It delayed the finish time a bit, but it meant I didn't have any cracked paint to deal with!

Also got an idea about how my calculations had gone (didn't end up sitting this low when off the stands, much to my disappointment, haha)

After a number of delays I finally received the car back (though driving their old Toyota Camry wagon around as a hire car was an interesting experience). Paint match and alignment were top notch.

A bit later I took it in for an alignment. Fortunately the FTO has some camber adjustment in the rear from the stock suspension, so I got it maxed out as far as it would go, which is about -2°.

Soon enough I had clocked over 200,000kms, and made the perhaps unwise decision of not just servicing the engine, but swapping it out to a lower km one. I had a massive screw up of an adventure trying to get one from someone interstate, which apparently got lost once it had been picked up. The guy I bought it off gave me about half back what I paid, but I never conclusively found out what happened.

So instead I got one from a local Jap parts business, around 70xxx on the clock. The same friend who helped me with the rotors and pads (and basically anything with the car; he's a former mechanic and has owned his FTO over 8 years), did the major service on the new engine while it was out; belts, the water pump, spark plugs. Then over two days we very efficiently and without much hassle completed the swap!

Out with the old.

In with the new(-er)

The only significant complication I had was the speedometer died as soon as I turned off down the street, but magically fixed itself, and hasn't been a problem since (go figure).

Aaaaand then this happened.

Was rounding a corner in the hills around my city late at night, on Christmas eve no less, and hit a kangaroo doing around 70kph. Completely shattered the headlight (the same one), put a dent in the bonnet, and a few pock marks and stress fractures around the front bar. Got defected for the headlight, but fortunately a friend had one spare and we were able to swap it around pronto so I could still drive to work.

Other than that, both the starter motor and the alternator have gone and been replaced (money, money, money haha). I have a list of things that need attention very soon, and will update, and hopefully that damage, which is still there near on six months later, will get into the shop soon. I've paid my excess, but haven't had another car to get to work with.

I take a heinous amount of pictures of my car, so expect them in droves.
    Last edited by bjk; 05-25-2014, 09:58 PM.

Before

Some photos of how it was before the RPF1s and the new front bar. I do miss the shape of it sometimes.

Comment

...and afterwards

Longer bar made it interesting to get into my driveway (feels like a 30° angle haha)

Comment

So many South Aussies on SW lately!

Sucks about the dramas you've been having, hopefully you get some good luck soon!
        My shitty ratty Golf

Comment

Wow, looks great! Reminds me of the movie Thunderbolt with Jackie Chan.

That new front looks exotic.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Nice work so far. Wheels suit the car nicely. Another S.A member! Welcome

Comment

I haven't seen an FTO since Gran Turismo 2. Looking forward to the end result.

Comment

A FTO is kinda fun to drive. Yours looks mint.

Comment

I think those wheels suit it perfectly, liking the meaty tyres too!
                  My '88 Golf GTI - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59460

lowered, because it makes the boobies bounce

Comment

Originally posted by dvious View Post
                    Nice work so far. Wheels suit the car nicely. Another S.A member! Welcome
                    Originally posted by RatJack View Post
                    So many South Aussies on SW lately!
                    Sucks about the dramas you've been having, hopefully you get some good luck soon!
                    I did notice a few Australians in my brief search of the forum. Yet to have a proper look around however! Have either of you heard of Slow Life? A mate of mine and a few of his friends started it up and it seems to have picked up speed. Long story short, I saw a S|W sticker on one of the cars in their videos. (I would go to the meets but I work till midnight most nights)

Yeah, been a lot of drama. The acquisition of this car was necessitated by this happening to my first car. (I'm only just nearly done paying back my father his $4000 share of it, haha)

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                    Wow, looks great! Reminds me of the movie Thunderbolt with Jackie Chan.

That new front looks exotic.
                    I have not seen this movie, maybe I should! The front bar is quite good. There's a similar styled one, which has the same lip, but moulded onto the prefacelift bar, and there's many of examples of those in Japan. But I like the overall design of this one more. And it's the best fitting bar on the market to boot, because it was moulded off of a stock bar, and not a copy of a copy etc.
                    Originally posted by [666] View Post
                    I haven't seen an FTO since Gran Turismo 2. Looking forward to the end result.
                    I continue to find it strange that I own an FTO but have not played any games which have included it! End result may be a long while coming (so poor), but it'll get there!
                    Originally posted by JustIgnore View Post
                    A FTO is kinda fun to drive. Yours looks mint.
                    It continues to surprise me, actually, with how nimble it is with even just the minor changes I've made. More in the handling department coming soon! (I'm afraid the pictures do it better justice than real life, haha)
                    Originally posted by Greg|H View Post
                    I think those wheels suit it perfectly, liking the meaty tyres too!
                    Do love the RPF1s. A little bit of concave, a little bit of lip, nice colour. I only wish that I had gone with some 18x9 or 18x9.5! But had I done that I might have required some overfenders or coilovers, and I didn't have the money at the time. I might yet acquire another pair in a few years, and relegate the 17s to track duty. (If I ever make it to a track)

Comment

Bits and pieces

So, had a number of things done over last weekend. Had a mate replace the lower engine mounts as they were resembling the scraps of biscuits in the bottom of a bag. Replaced the thermostat and got some proper coolant in there. (Last time I had bought the premix, so it was twice watered down oops).

Also replaced the battery with as large as would fit in there. Looking much better with clean and tight terminals too. You can see the little rectangle securing the battery that shows how wide the old one used to be.

And slightly more exciting is getting the Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar in! It's only on the softest setting of three at the moment, and while I can tell there's a difference to the stock 16mm, I think it could stand to be notched up another mark. Keen for some dry weather around here so I can actually see how much more potential it's given me.

Comment

Picked up these off eBay for $71.00 shipped. Hopefully one step further to no clunks.

Comment

And took some pics the other day.

Comment

Hopefully one step further to no clunks.

Comment

Originally posted by fujitashi View Post
                              Hopefully one step further to no clunks.

Meanwhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X