Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played out, Budgeted, Daily. Don't read this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played out, Budgeted, Daily. Don't read this.

My name is Kaleb, and I'll start this thread off as honest as possible. I'm 17, and a senior in Highschool. I work 20 hours a week at A&W drive in, so my funds are extremely limited. This is obviously my only running car, so it will be driven every day until I leave for basic training in July.
    Still here? Good. Anyways, about the car: I drive a 2002 Galactic Blue VW Jetta. Car is a 2.0 5 speed, GLS trim with the camel leather interior. Has 179xxx miles, but is clean-ish and runs very well for it's age. I bought her in January for 3200 from a Dealer an hour away from my home town. She stayed stock for the rest of winter, but now I am finally able to drop some money on her. Forgive me, the pics aren't exactly in order. The build will move slow, but will likely speed up when my funds grow.

2 Weekends ago, I drove an hour south into Grand Rapids, and picked up a set of 16x8.5 Salad Shooters. I know what you're thinking. "16's, on a mk4? and NOTHING is more overdone than corvette wheels on Volkswagens." Forgive me. I got them for $175, so I can't really complain. On the way to kzoo, color combinations were spinning in my head. I decided on a light grey, similar to a battleship, but I plan on making them sorta shiny with clear coat.

How I got them/After cleaning

Primed

2nd coat of paint. Clear is going on later this week.

The same day, I drove another 40 minutes south and grabbed a set of crustyyy Raceland Ultimos for $100. The catch? one front strut is blown, both tophats are missing, and there are no rear struts. Next week, I plan on picking up some $65 Koni struts for the rear, and a coilover install kit from ECS. I will also be calling Raceland about a single front strut and the Tophats.

Remember, this build is very, VERY limited in terms of moolah. Tires will be some cheapo all seasons from my broken a6, 205 series with a decent amount of sidewall until I can afford something nicer. This car will be kept until death, so enjoy the ride, and Criticism is always welcome.
    Last edited by M0HNKE; 09-21-2014, 03:16 PM. Reason: Pic Resize

Ugh, I am a flickr n00b. Picture size will be fixed when I return from work. See ya!

Comment

I know it sucks so far, but I'll be releasing a HUGE update sometime tonight. Car is hardly recognizable anymore, too much has changed. So to all Zero of my fans; STAY TUNED.

Comment

Will keep an eye on this!

Needs update

Comment

Wheels are done with paint, and I found a GLI lip on the statewide VW forum. It was supposedly oem, and cracked. I soon learned from the seller, that the lip was a fiberglass replica, and he was going to trash it. He ended up donating the lip, and I also bought one of my missing vents from him. Here are a few silly pictures of me mocking up my cheap/free parts.

On June 6th, I finished Military processing at the MEPS center down in Lansing. The same day, my coils were intalled with a friend that lived in Kalamazoo. Weeks before, I had ordered a set of coilovers off of fleabay. Payed $280 for a set of mystery coils. When they arrived in the mail, I was beyond excited. After looking up the part number on the box, I realized they were Rokkors. Score. Yes, cheap coils, they blow quick, blah blah blah. They're cheap, and they do what I want. Look good and costs next to nothing. Cue sunken stock wheel look:

I had my coilovers installed just a few weeks before Motorstadt, car was looking okay, and running well. Long story short, I developed an slow oil leak an hour away from home. I thought it would be fine, I checked the level every stop along the way. Little did I know, my 12 year old dipstick tube was cracked, and broken. Eventually, the pressure built up, and oil sprayed all over my engine bay, where the tube used to be. Day=Ruined. After getting my car towed to a shop, I spent 6 hours waiting in an unfamilar town, with nothing but an ex girlfriend, and 2 longboards. Woo. Got home, logged onto facebook to find a sweet roller of my car on the caravan. Besides that, and the lessons, the day wasn't a total loss...

After that, I got to work. Ordered a set of adapters, and a badgless grille for a grand total of like $200 iirc. A week went by, the parts arrived, whatever. You know the drill.

Now about those wheels...

Comment

Im excited to see how this turns out... Im in highschool to, from Michigan, and on a budget to, so this is really relatable! Glad im not the only one...

-Conner

Comment

Scoured the forums for a set of used tires in my area. This car was LITERALLY pieced together on a fast food budget. Ended up picking up a set of 205/50r16 Bridgestone Potenzas for like $100. Got them mounted at a Belle Tire on the way home, I couldn't wait to fit them. Fast forward to the next weekend (when I actually had some free time), and the process of mounting my adapters and wheels begun. 20 minutes later, the car was on the ground, sitting pretty. Final specs were 16x8.5 et 8. Tires were meaty, it rubbed a little.

And by rubbed a little, I mean rubbed a lot. Billowing clouds of smoke on the ¼ mile drive back to my house. Something had to be done. Didn't have enough money to roll/pull properly, so I borrowed a heat gun, a few phone books, and attemped that ghetto pull technique I see everyone doing. Gained some clearance, but not enough to keep the tires from burning the FUCK out of my paint. Eventually, I got the fenders pulled the proper way, but my paint was already toast at that point. Paint is chipped, but I have plans to fix that in the future. With the aggressive(ish) pull, I really only rubbed on sharp turns, but forget about anyone touching my rear seats lol. I drove it like this for a few weeks, loving life. Had a few moments in the Little Ceaser's parking lot, but it's whatever. Here are the results:

Comment

After this, I decided to get cracking on the lip. Pun not intended. This thing was/still is rough. Parts on the bottom are scraped through, and theres a large crack near the center. I purchased some fiber-glassing materials at Lowe's, and got sanding. In the end, I bitched out. Ended up doing that ever so predictable ziptie stitching. Tied it together, dipped it black, that was that. It was free, and it shows it. I ended up hacksawing off my muffler, and screwed on one of those cheapo turndown tips from autozone. Dumped just after the rear beam. It was louder, but not unbearable. Again, low cost. Soon, I had a friend of mine take many, many shots of my car. We drove around town for a few hours, trying to find locations to shoot my car. These are the first legitmate pictures of my car, the ones previous (save the roller) were all unedited.

Here are a few un edited shots of my own. Yes, I do wash the car on occasion, I promise.

Comment

looks sick so far man.

Comment

I'm going to bed. More updates tomorrow!

Comment

I dig ittttt!
                      My 2011 Toyota Vitz build thread.
                      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56411

Comment

Looking good, what branch did you sign up for/ what mos? Ive been in for about 5 now.
                        Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Well I ran out of time. I am currently at Sheppard AFB, in the Library using a government computer. My AFSC is 2w111j. I will be working on the weapons armament systems on the F35. When I take some leave this Christmas, I will be sure to update the thread with more recent pics, as well as my plans for the car. STAY TUNED

Comment

Looks good man, its rough being on a budget but you are off to a good start. We've all been there when we couldn't buy exactly what we want but make due. Can't wait to see whats next.
                            My '66 C10 Build
                            My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

props for a build on a budget that still looks good! Proper meaty fitment on the rear haha I love it!
                              Current Car: 04 Ford Focus SVT

Founder of CleanCarCulture!
                              www.CleanCarCulture.com

Www.facebook.com/CleanCarCulture

Always on the look out for feature cars in NorCal, Maine, Kansas and Florida. Want to become part of the CleanCarCulture team? Use the contact form on our website!

Comment

Working...
                              X