Anja the Type 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anja the Type 3

The question is not when, what or how, but why.

About a month back now, life took me by the balls and spun me around a few times. I realised a couple of things needed to change, the Subaru got defected and I sent Gretl to the scrap. One day I'll probably regret that I scrapped her, but not today. Today, I sit here typing this, not necessarily feeling the greatest about where my life is right now.

I got really depressed, in fact, I still am really depressed. I had lost my love for cars and I had almost lost my girlfriend (her names Phoebe, same name as my Mum's actually...) of six years. In fact, for a day I had lost her. Maybe I had lost myself along the way somewhere and that's how it all eventuated, but that's another story. Anyway, a hole in my life was now missing and I didn't know what to do.

I decided I needed to get rid of the Subaru and start afresh with a new car that I would just tidy up. No slamming, no fitment, none of this "stance" thing we all talk about. It would be simply a daily driver that was cruising along on some nice wheels, something that I had tidied up as much as possible and something that I could just take on road trips. In fact, all I wanted was a car that I could share with Phoebe and that we could make all the happy memories we could with said car.

I have always had a soft spot for Type 3 Squarebacks. My parents used to have one when I was a child and they were still together. A white 1971 Volkswagen Squareback named Heidi, after my Grandmother's mother's maiden name, Aufderheide. When my parents divorced, my father took Heidi and after a couple of years, sold her off. Supposedly it is still floating around here in Adelaide, but I haven't seen it for a couple of years.

It was only a matter of time until I too, had a Squareback. I have now answered the why.
    Enter, Anja the 1973 Type 3 Volkswagen Squareback. She is Grasshopper Green, manual and has a lot of character.

Unfortunately, with all good things come the bad. Anja is currently defected. One of the most stupidest things that Australia have are the rules around modifying vehicles. They're just dumb when cars that are picked on are so well looked after, instead of ones that should actually be taken off the road. Anja is, well, a mixture of both I guess.

I have a decent list of things to do, but all things that are quiet easy to accomplish. I don't have a time frame to have Anja's defect to be cleared, but I believe it won't be until I have come back from America in early May this year. The list is as follows.

- Remove all stickers.
    - Horn to operate.
    - Rear seat needs to be recovered.
    - Windscreen washers need to work.
    - New reflective number plates.
    - Tiny hole in pan where battery tray is.
    - Battery to be secured properly.
    - Bump stops to be installed all round.
    - Car raised to factory height.
    - Replace rear right hand side shock absorber.
    - Swap exhaust to one that tips do not protrude past the bumper.

The majority of these things I can do in a weekend, however a few things will take some time that, until I have sold the Subaru, can wait. Anja is currently up on axle stands waiting for me to raise the suspension and remove the leaking shock absorber. After that I will need to sort out the tiny hole in the pan and replacing the exhaust with one that "fits". Then she can touch the floor again and I can go through the rest of the list one by one.

I will continue to update this thread as I continue along ticking things off of the list of to-do's. Once the defect has been cleared there will be a new to-do list and that will continue the process of tidying her up and getting her to where I want her to be.

All I know is that I want to be able to drive her to Sydney for Showcased this year in November. Until next time.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Did you buy this car from Perth? I swear this car used to live in the next street.

I'm at the same crossroads as you, slowly losing my car lust, I feel you pain.

Comment

Love it mang.
      IG: wade_rees_
      BMW 320i E30 turbo

Comment

i love this. I miss having an air-cooled vw
        [IMG]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag203/Kristianbolster/cars/nmdsnfm_zpsac00cc92.jpeg[/IMG]
        instagram= @BIMMERSPOTTER instagram: @kristianbolster

Comment

Originally posted by Dane083 View Post
          Did you buy this car from Perth? I swear this car used to live in the next street.

I'm at the same crossroads as you, slowly losing my car lust, I feel you pain.
          This car is a local car and has been for a very long time, ~10 years the last guy has owned it for before me.

As for the car lust, I think it is mainly due to the ridiculous rulings here in Australia in regards to modifying our vehicles. It is just shot.

Originally posted by Spados. View Post
          Love it mang.
          Aaaayyeeeeee

Originally posted by bimmerspotter View Post
          I missed being able to hear one. Driving it into the garage was probably the best thing I had done in a long time. Now I just need to fix her up.

//

I spent the last few hours out in the garage with a mate trying to tick a couple of things off the list. The first thing being the horn not operating. We traced the wires (which was made difficult due to a previously installed and then removed alarm) and finally figured out that it was actually the steering wheel contact that was the issue.

We also discovered why the window washers weren't working. It seems that the system Volkswagen employed to distribute the water from the washer bottle to the washer jet is stupid. Very stupid. It uses the pressurised air from the spare tyre to push the water through a tube up to the steering column and then out to the washer jet. Ancient. The plan is to replace with a washer motor and install a button somewhere discreet (so as to not destroy the dash) and get it all wired in.

So now my first dilemma of not modifying this car has propped up. Do I go and buy a Nardi steering wheel and boss kit to fit it or do I just try and pick up a stock one and fit that. One of the big reasons why I am leaning so far away from spending huge amount of dollars on cars is that, even though I have been working full time since the end of Year 12 (three years now), I have zero savings. Zero.

Regardless. I now have a list of things that I need to buy. Not just for Anja either, will be used for cleaning up the Subaru that little bit more. Here is that list.

- Front parker bulb.
          - Rolls of wire.
          - Spade connectors.
          - Push button.
          - Washer motor.
          - Battery.
          - Duct tape.
          - Zip ties.
          - Steering wheel.

I think next weekend, depending on what happens with the Subaru, I might tackle the suspension side of things and sort out what I need to get with that. In the mean time, I need to finish off the Subaru and clear the defect so that I can hopefully sell it.
          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.

Comment

Great purchase man! Love where you're wanting to take this.

Great little wagon, perfect for getaways in. Really looking forward to seeing where this progresses man.

yeee, coz RainbowDash is the bestest. its fun combing its hair and tail isnt it? =P
            They had an Accord Euro meet.....had to show face and you know.....win some respect....and gain exp points to unlock a new sector along with tier 3 vinyl and decals. =D

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Von Smack View Post
              Great purchase man! Love where you're wanting to take this.

Great little wagon, perfect for getaways in. Really looking forward to seeing where this progresses man.
              Thanks man,

It should be awesome to just drive her around. I am really looking forward to driving it to Melbourne the first time that is for sure.

//

The last weekend was once again a blur. Filled with rage, depression, anxiety and a massive headache to boot. I'm starting to seriously struggle when it comes to performing every day tasks and the only thing that is really keeping me going on at the moment is hoping and praying for a light at the end of the tunnel. That light might be Anja.

With these feelings aside, Phoebe and I got cracking on peeling the stickers off of the windows to start cleaning Anja up. There were a few stickers on the paint itself and unfortunately in some places, the paint came with the sticker. The paint is stupid thin and in dire need of a respray, so that has been placed on the cards now.

I also threw on the roof racks just to get an idea of what it looked like minus the stickers.

This week I am hoping I tick off the wiring side of things. Until then.
              Last edited by SebastienPeek; 03-31-2014, 02:00 AM.
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

This is so cool! Great car!
                Insta: @pantiesmores

Build: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...hlight=versace

Comment

Now that the windows are all cleaned up, I'm going to sort out the rats nest under the dash. I did some poking around and I found a few interesting things underneath.

One being that an alarm was previously installed and two being there was most likely a massive sound system installed at one point. There is an amp under the passenger seat and in the bonnet there is an alarm siren thing sitting in there. Under the dash there is the alarm control box which has been somewhat hacked into the loom.

I'll no doubt be removing that and re-installing another one. I need to sort out a steering wheel as well.
                  1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                  there there.

Comment

damn, what a shitty start of this story

subbed for more, as i liked your previous projects
                    Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

I love air cooled volkswagens, very nice sir. Sub'd for more
                      Great neck

Comment

looking sweet with all stickers removed. Definately a cool wagon to get rolling for daily sensible stance driving.

Sub'd
                        Like a glove

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                          damn, what a shitty start of this story

subbed for more, as i liked your previous projects
                          It is a pretty shit start to the story, but hopefully Anja will be around through a lot of changes, hopefully exploring Australia and seeing as much as possible with Phoebe.

Thanks for the sub too, hopefully she doesn't disappoint.

Originally posted by itsjustkevin View Post
                          I love air cooled volkswagens, very nice sir. Sub'd for more
                          Air cooled volkswagens are the bomb dignity. Thanks!

Originally posted by danielsahhhn View Post
                          looking sweet with all stickers removed. Definately a cool wagon to get rolling for daily sensible stance driving.

Sub'd
                          Looks a tonne better without the stickers. Makes me realise how in need she is of paint. I reckon even if I took a polish wheel to it, I'd hit primer. Need moar paint.

//

Last night I focused mainly on the Subaru to get it cleared defect. I spent about half an hour cleaning up the interior and making a list of interior things I would like to get.

I'm going to have to get the rear seats recovered, as well as the fronts I reckon. I'm not a fan of the brown and luckily my cousin is an upholsterer. Plan will be to just get them recovered in black vinyl, along with the door cards etc.

This weekend I want to get dirty with the suspension, but it might not necessarily happen that way. Either way, seriously want to get Anja's defect cleared so I can drive her. Want to push for before I head to America but with the way things are going, she probably won't be ready before then.
                          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                          there there.

Comment

Nothing has been done to Anja over the past week.
                            I've been too busy dealing with my own demons to concentrate on anything else really.

I'm starting to lose all motivation to fix Anja after the disappointment of the Subaru not clearing defect. It makes everything that little bit harder. Wish someone would just buy the whole damn Subaru setup. It's going stupid cheap, but Adelaide is shit in regards to people wanting to spend money.

Tonight I might go out to the garage and start unbolting the rear suspension getting it ready to lower. I would like to have the rear suspension sorted before I head over to America, which is nine days now. Sneaking up stupid fast. Once the rear suspension is raised, I'll put the wheels back on and take her off the axle stands to squeeze the Subaru back in the garage either this week or early next week.
                            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X