84 Volvo 240 Turbo wagon - Houston, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Volvo 240 Turbo wagon - Houston, TX

This really breaks my heart right now, but I'm at a point in my life where the car doesn't get the attention that it needs and deserves. My hands are seriously shaking as I type this.
    I've seriously driven it once a month for the past year & only to Cars & Coffee & back home. The main reason is because I have a long list of cars I want to own before I die (kind of my bucket list) and the majority of them are as old as if not older than the 240, so I need the garage space. I can't bring myself to let the wagon sit outside in the Texas sun.

I bought the car 8+ years ago from a Volvo mechanic in Virginia Beach. It was his ex-wife's car & I was the first person he called when she was ready to get rid of it. Car is a factory turbo/intercooler car. It had about 240k miles on it when I bought it. Rick rebuilt the motor with a double overbore kit. Block is B21FT. Rick also reupholstered the seats in black tweed and they are the nicest 240 seats you will ever find (ask Slow240). Yakima rack NOT included.

When I got the car over 8 years ago -

How it sits now -

Engine - B21FT on LH2.2 (approx 120k after the last rebuild), 2.1L factory forged internals (rods, crankshaft, Mahle pistons) - odometer reads about 297k now, Bosch Battery (2 yrs old), Nissens 3 row radiator, 960 E-fan conversion

Transmission - M46

Exhaust - 3" turbo back with MVP downpipe, Magnaflow cat (got clogged & had to gut it) and Magnaflow 3" polished rear muffler

Wheels - Borbet Type E (16x7) with 205/50/16 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Suspension - Bilstein HD (front) with Kaplhenke camber plates, Koni Red adjustable (rear), IPD Sway bars, unknown brand lowering springs, IPD rear panhard bar, GT firewall braces, OMP strut bar

Brakes - RX7 conversion with up front with good pads

Exterior - Single round flathood conversion with Hella H4 glass headlights and crack free single round grille, 93 850 lower spoiler, German plate with TPC frame, Limo tint in back with 35% on the front 2 windows. Vintage Hella rear fog light. Hood is spray painted satin black. Early 240 metal engine splash pan.

Interior - NO A/C all black (will have all stock seats in black tweed), power locks, power mirrors, Rare small diameter Volvo R-sport Momo wheel, full gauge package + VDO boost and Volvo VDO oil temp gauge (sender included, but not installed), thin real carbon fiber overlay on most of the interior trim (this was installed before the good vinyl carbon fiber was made, so some of the corners are a little rough), rare Volvo rear cargo mat, Clarion head unit w. USB (early model, so not phone friendly - I just use thumb drives), Blaupunkt 4" mids in the front doors with tweeters in the dash vents, Polk 4" 2-ways in the stock rear c-pillars, Polk 6.5" components in the rear doors, Blaupunkt 300w mono amp driving a Boston competitor 10" sub and a MTX 75x2 watt amp driving the rear Polk components. Good all around sound to cover the road noise. Monster cable wiring for the stereo.

Extras include IPD snow cap (has a cracked tab so I removed it), Penta marine head (disassembled), 200k badge, adjustable cam gear & T-cam, and many boxes of other parts.

The bad: master cylinder is weak, but still driveable
    no power steering (I grew up with manual rack cars, no p/s doesn't bother me at all)
    rear suspension has something going on & causes vibrations. I have a pair of torque rods with poly bushings I'm going to install to see if it fixes anything
    the #1 spark plug hole on has bad threads (forgot to check this when I pulled the LH2.2 head at the PNP)
    Has a minor oil leak that I haven't tracked down yet
    dash has 1 split right up the middle
    passenger side rear window does not go up or down
    clutch is getting old, but still holds
    hood release cable does not work (have new cable, not installed), but vise grips will open it
    rear cargo area floor covers has tan carpet. I was going to recover it in new black carpet
    tint has some tears in it, but is not faded or purple
    still have not found new sun visor clips, missing 2 plastic rocker covers (I just forget to grab them when I go to PNP)
    Hole in the driver's side floor behind the front seat (have new patch pan - not installed)
    LH2.2 has a single wire that is still hot when the car is off. I haven't tracked it down so I just disconnect the battery after driving the car
    Car idles rough when cold and idles high off & on after driving for a while
    Paint is near perfect with 1 or 2 minor scratches. Somebody backed into the passenger side rear door/wheel arch. The dents are not really noticeable. I chose to take the insurance money & buy a new surfboard rather than fix the dents. :roll:
    There are probably some other very minor issues that I'm forgetting right now that bother me, but might not bother you (no washer reservior/pump, etc)
    hood alignment is slightly off - I have the early hood springs/hinges to fix this
    hood needs repainted - last shelf liner (zebra print) left sticky residue over most of the hood

Slow240 & I drove the car 9 hours to the Tail of the Dragon in Oct. 2012 with no issues. The car has made several long distance trips From Va Beach to Carlisle, Ocean City and Jersey with no problems.

I would prefer to sell it here first before listing it anyplace else. I will be completely honest about every aspect of this car when selling.

Full build thread here - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=106553

Car is located just west of Houston, TX.

Feeler Price is set at $4200.OBO

Detailed photos below.

The lone dash crack:

R-Sport Momo wheel, Jamex aluminum pedal covers, custom made aluminum 'golf ball' shift knob

The only body damage on the car at the pass. side rear wheel arch

Height comparison

99% perfect paint. Rick had the car completely stripped down to bare metal & resprayed about 5 years before I bought it. It has been in a garage almost entirely since I have owned it.

Front spoiler height

Tread depth (all 4 are equal with no uneven wear)

Gauges

Rear door component speakers

mileage - fuel gauge works but needs a new float ball

3" mandrel bent exhaust

rear seat

front seat (driver's seat is in the attic)

Amp setup

Rear view (3" hitch - trailer wiring works fine, rear fog light is wired & working)

Bosch battery, Monster Cable battery terminals, all misc brackets in the engine bay have been powder-coated

Front views

Engine Bay

Extra views

Again, near perfect paint

Last edited by schaff70; 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM.

84 Volvo 245 Turbo - project car
    01 Land Cruiser DD
    06 BMW 530xi Wagon

From my trip to the Tail of the Dragon in Oct. 202

Interested in trades, depending on what you have.

01 Land Cruiser DD
    06 BMW 530xi Wagon

Comment

Still available.
      Open to trades also.
      Last edited by schaff70; 04-19-2014, 04:41 AM.

01 Land Cruiser DD
      06 BMW 530xi Wagon

Comment

Is the carr still for sell?

Comment

Dope Wagon! digging it.

Comment

Working...
          X