Aussie wheel tech/discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie wheel tech/discussions

Don't know if it's unnecessary but I thought I'd start a separate thread for us to discuss everything relating to wheels, whether it be our own or just stuff we like. Polishing, painting, repairs, bolts, etc. Should make it easier for us to find the info in the future instead of searching through the random thread.

I just got my 7.5" Ewings back from polishing last week, these are the ones that were sandblasted (lips included) so I'm really happy with how they came out.

Next thing I have to do is polish the star outline on the face. In the past I have used a sanding block and done it by hand, but I'm thinking since it's a flat area could I use an electric sander? Has anyone used one before on wheels? I'm talking about a flat one, not the round orbital ones. Just thinking that doing it by hand might take ages since it's a sandblasted finish.

Can work but it wouldn't trust it on the edge's.

Comment

Why's that? Do you think it'll be too strong?

I'll have the lips all taped up, will that dull the finish?

Comment

If you keep the sander completely flat should be ok. You don't want the sander to round the edge's.

What grit paper will you use.?

Comment

I have pretty much everything from 120 - 2000, might have used up a few sheets over the years so I could be missing a couple of grits.

Since they're sandblasted I'd imagine I'd have to start really rough. Maybe I just do the initial few grits by machine and the rest by hand?

Comment

couldn't you pull the front lips off? (doesn't look bolted in) or were the two lips rewelded again
            www.ohitsandy.blogspot.com

www.flickr.com/andhey

Comment

They're welded from factory, faces are sandwich mounted, can't take them out

Comment

stick to doing it by hand man, seen a few people try an electric sander/orbital and it hasnt ended well
                03' Toyota Crown Athlete V Premium

Originally posted by TRaNz
                getout.

Comment

They look mint, how come you weren't able to get the shop to polish the star outline as well?

Comment

Not too sure, really. I'm used to doing everything myself, this is the first time I've had a pair of lips polished. I probably should have but the guy was taking ages so I just wanted to get them back asap. I could get a mate of mine to throw them on the mill and surface them?

Comment

While you could probably get away with using an electric sander, one little lapse in concentration and you could end up ruining something. If you're hand sanding, the stuff up will be much less noticeable.
                      Originally posted by TRaNz
                      We ride homos together, we die homos together. Homos 4 Lyfe. <3

Comment

Yeah all dependent on you, if you can avoid touching the lip and stay flat, then go for the electric sander. Extra insurance, tape up lip twice over as well as the indented parts of the centre.

Wheels look good btw!
                        House of Stance
                        RAW Works

Comment

honestly, tape the shit out of the lips, and do it by hand with a block. tape the raw centers too.... and wet rub it, dry will clog the paper too fast.
                          Originally posted by anth
                          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

is it possible to make a set of 16s to a set of 15s?

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
                              is it possible to make a set of 16s to a set of 15s?
                              Depends what they are
                              Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

Working...
                              X