Saab SportCombi 9-5.... Yes, a wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saab SportCombi 9-5.... Yes, a wagon

I have been waiting for a finished product... But a move to Richmond VA has set back the timeline. So f^ck it, I'm impatient! I purchased this car as a DD to stay stock while I devoted my attentions to my '86 mr2. There's a build on here.

So to the Saab when I first got her. 2009, 101k miles, base model pepper green. She was grandma's (show) dog hauler, but she was clean and a stick so I couldn't pass it up. Some dog hair, but not as much as you would expect. Found her right up at Lovering Volvo in Meridith after spending some time debating between the Saab or an e90.

Of course I wouldn't be posting this if she actually stayed stock. Bwahahaha! Like that was ever going to happen. At first, I cut the springs. 2 coils up front and 1 in back. New shocks had already been done, and she rode pretty decent.

Followed by some plasti-dip on the wheels. I was considering dipping the Mr2 at the time so I figured I would give the stuff a try before attempting a larger project of a whole car. People actually think this is a stock color on a Saab...

Got a little carried away while I was at it and did the "glasses" up front in black. She looked as such.

She wasn't low enough. Cut another coil off all around. Also installed 15mm front and 18mm rear spacers while converting to studs. Disregard room mates 300ce. I worked on him to lower it for a long time. He just sold it for a 335i coupe though so I can't be too mad.

And she still needs more low all around. I looked into coils, but after seeing what's available, I'm settled on bags. I haven't done them before, and neither has anyone else I'm aware of. I sure as hell would like to see this thing real low on 19"/20" x 9.5"/"10 lorinser lm6's or Maserati birdcages. So the plan is to find a garage and move my tools down. Then I'll order up the parts and get to work. Wouldn't mind cranking the power up from the stock 260hp too I'll keep you all posted.
    '13 Fiat 500 Abarth
    '99 E36 Convertible

The last 9-5s are super underrated IMO. They all have the power the previous gen Aero did. Interested to see what you do with it; subscribed!
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

would you say that this build thread is a......saab story?

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
        The last 9-5s are super underrated IMO. They all have the power the previous gen Aero did. Interested to see what you do with it; subscribed!
        They actually have 10 more HP than the old ones!

I will definitely be following this thread! I've got a 9-5 that will be going on air this summer.

I guess its on to see who gets it done first! haha

It's a work in progress^
        Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
        Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
          Plus the sport seats from an aero as well

Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
          would you say that this build thread is a......saab story?
          Hopefully not yet... I still have so far to go!

Originally posted by JRodigan View Post
          They actually have 10 more HP than the old ones!

I will definitely be following this thread! I've got a 9-5 that will be going on air this summer.

I guess its on to see who gets it done first! haha
          A little completion can only help. I'll keep this updated so we can follow each other's ideas. You already know I've been watching your build.
          '13 Fiat 500 Abarth
          '99 E36 Convertible

Comment

That's a cool looking wagon mate, the white rims really suit the car too. Air ride sounds like it's going to be a major project! I love the fact that no one does anything with a Saab apart from the few who can pull it off!

Cutting springs is addictive, it's never low enough! "Just another half a coil" next minute your on the bump stops and it's undrivable! Been there way too many times! Ha ha!

Bookmarked!

Comment

Welcome aboard, love seeing more and more Saabs here.
              -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
              -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
              -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
              -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Svenska94Aero View Post
                Welcome aboard, love seeing more and more Saabs here.
                Thanks for the appreciation guys. This isn't my first Saab, my first car was an '87 9000T and I had a '95 aero as well. So the bug has been here since the beginning.

Originally posted by easty View Post
                That's a cool looking wagon mate, the white rims really suit the car too. Air ride sounds like it's going to be a major project! I love the fact that no one does anything with a Saab apart from the few who can pull it off!

Cutting springs is addictive, it's never low enough! "Just another half a coil" next minute your on the bump stops and it's undrivable! Been there way too many times! Ha ha!

Bookmarked!
                I'm in the same boat on the cut springs. I know I want it lower, so I figure might as well stop lying to myself and save for the bag setup right off. I like the white for the wheels too. It's a little more work to keep them looking good, but It fits. A lot of people ask if they came stock that way.

70 degrees the other day down here in VA. So I washed and waxed her. She really needed it after all those miles moving down from NH. Here is a couple pics from the last few weeks. The dirty one is the last drive down. She never normally gets like that.

'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
                '99 E36 Convertible

Comment

I need to wash mine soon too... Yours is looking good. I really like that color. If it isn't too much trouble, could you post a pic of your wheel gap up close? It's kind of hard to distinguish in the pics.

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Thanks! I wasn't sure of it when I was researching them. When you look up pepper green none of the pictures look like this. I almost unsure that it is that color, but nothing I can find says there was any other green offered that year.

The white wheels make it hard to photograph, but I'll grab some at lunch tomorrow so you can get a better idea. I do really like the contrast the white brings on this color though. It is on 235/45/17's and there is basically no gap in back and about a finger up front.
                    '13 Fiat 500 Abarth
                    '99 E36 Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by kpg2713 View Post
                      Thanks! I wasn't sure of it when I was researching them. When you look up pepper green none of the pictures look like this. I almost unsure that it is that color, but nothing I can find says there was any other green offered that year.

The white wheels make it hard to photograph, but I'll grab some at lunch tomorrow so you can get a better idea. I do really like the contrast the white brings on this color though. It is on 235/45/17's and there is basically no gap in back and about a finger up front.
                      My brother looked at getting an '09 Aero sedan in this exact color. I think the color is Glass Grey Metallic, code 311. The name is deceiving because I'd consider it more of seafoam green in person. It was only available in 2009, so it's fairly rare.

And thanks. I think I'm going to pick up a spare set of springs and cut them to how you did. I have exactly the same size tires, so I should sit about the same. (Maybe a little higher in the back since mine is a sedan.

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Nice project! Love wagons.. .and what part of va did you move to?

Comment

Originally posted by JRodigan View Post
                          My brother looked at getting an '09 Aero sedan in this exact color. I think the color is Glass Grey Metallic, code 311. The name is deceiving because I'd consider it more of seafoam green in person. It was only available in 2009, so it's fairly rare.

And thanks. I think I'm going to pick up a spare set of springs and cut them to how you did. I have exactly the same size tires, so I should sit about the same. (Maybe a little higher in the back since mine is a sedan.
                          That would be why it doesn't look like any of the pictures! Lol, like the color that much more that it was an '09 only option As far as the springs, if you do the same amount yours would have more even wheel gap front and rear. The car itself sits pretty even, but there is definitely less gap out back with it being a wagon. If your shocks are in good shaoe I would say go for it!

Originally posted by LowS View Post
                          Nice project! Love wagons.. .and what part of va did you move to?
                          Yours is looking pretty sweet! I am down in the Richmond area. Working just North in Ashland. You?
                          '13 Fiat 500 Abarth
                          '99 E36 Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by kpg2713 View Post
                            That would be why it doesn't look like any of the pictures! Lol, like the color that much more that it was an '09 only option As far as the springs, if you do the same amount yours would have more even wheel gap front and rear. The car itself sits pretty even, but there is definitely less gap out back with it being a wagon. If your shocks are in good shaoe I would say go for it!
                            That may be an issue....haha I think my rears may be a bit blown...This is with two people in the back...

It tucks a 1/8 inch tire (215/50/16) with stock springs.

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Maybe color match those headlight surroundings with the rest of the car?

Comment

Working...
                              X