One can never have too many projects - Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One can never have too many projects - Cafe Build

So, I know this isn't Stanced or whatever but this is the only forum I post on so figured I would start a build thread for my new project - a 72 Honda SL 125. I've never owned a bike and barely worked on one but I've wanted a cafe bike for quite some time so I'll be building this to just put around town which is all I want plus its a hell of a lot cheaper than a Ruckus haha.

Here is how it looked when the PO bought it:

And then when I got it home (close ups just to show where I started):

Some parts were robbed off it or stuff had been removed. Didn't really care since I'll be changing almost everything, motor has good compression and spins freely and thats all I was worried about.

Plans are to strip it down to the frame and just go with the flow, no set plan except to get it an old school feel.. Already know it will be getting a different tank as this one has rust in it.
    My '66 C10 Build
    My BMW 2002 Build

Such fun bikes man, owned a few myself. Once your done youll love it

Comment

Well jacked with it for a couple hours tonight, wanted it all the way apart but after not having a big enough socket for the triple tree and a bolt breaking on the rear shock I decided to say fuck it. Got to this point though. More tear down happening this weekend after I get all the crap I need.

My '66 C10 Build
      My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Ya once it's done it's deff gonna be a fun little toy to ride around town

Comment

More tear down tonight, couldn't help myself haha, all thats left is the triple tree

Then decided to polish up the chain cover a bit, needs more work and probably ditch the dealer sticker.

Before:

After:

Close up on the motor, it will get rebuilt, cleaned up and repainted:

My '66 C10 Build
          My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

i like this
            sigpic
            I like big butts and I cannot Lie.

Comment

Well got the triple tree off and also the broken bolt out of the frame but didn't make much more progress on the frame, cut a few things off but have to borrow a grinder will I'm ready to do some paint. The motor has also been a battle as every phillips screw has been tightened way too tight, got two broke loose but have 3 to go...been doing it when I'm in the mood so I don't jack anything up lol.

So since I've been stuck I decided to do some painting, not too exciting but atleast its some progress.

Before:

After:

Also painted two of the motor mounts and also the headlight bucket:

My '66 C10 Build
              My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Nice, should be a fun little project. Been thinking of grabbing something like this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BuFFyZA View Post
                  Nice, should be a fun little project. Been thinking of grabbing something like this myself.
                  Its been fun so far, plus its cheap so it isn't really taking away from my 2002 build lol
                  My '66 C10 Build
                  My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Man looking forward to this, cant wait to see the end result!

Comment

That's awesome man, ive been wanting to pick up something like this or cb350, maybe kz4oo just to ride to work and Dick around with to save the daily miles on my car. I'm stoked to see where this goes!

2000 Honda Prelude

Comment

Originally posted by sickluded View Post
                        That's awesome man, ive been wanting to pick up something like this or cb350, maybe kz4oo just to ride to work and Dick around with to save the daily miles on my car. I'm stoked to see where this goes!
                        Yeah its been pretty so far minus the shitty phillips bolts on the motor. Where in Missouri are you? Just saw the plate in your sig, I'm just north of KC.

More little stuff done today since my son was sick and he was napping through out the day:

Top of the triple tree:

Handle bar mounts:

Skid plate:

Another cover off the motor

Before:

After: Need to touch up the black
                        My '66 C10 Build
                        My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Awesome project and that paint looks great. Glad to see a cafe racer build on the forums. I've been wanting to build one for a couple years but haven't had the time for one. Good luck.
                          http://cdn.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17224

Comment

Hell yea I love seeing more cafes. I have 3 bikes and my ol 78 cb750 is my favorite haha Honda made such amazing bikes. Subbed for more.

My Intro Here:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50512
                            My E34 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54494
                            My '78 CB750 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56809

Comment

i love me some cafe racers. excited to see where this goes

heres mine:
                              Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.
                              [IMG]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag203/Kristianbolster/cars/nmdsnfm_zpsac00cc92.jpeg[/IMG]
                              instagram= @BIMMERSPOTTER instagram: @kristianbolster

Comment

Working...
                              X