Monster mk1 golf 20vt build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster mk1 golf 20vt build

Where do I start? Been into volkswagens for as long as I can remember, Always loved the shapes of the old skool wagons since I was a kid, but also went jap before this. Time is passing by the more years I grow and before I know it I wont be able to build something like this - So for me, this is a dream come true.

It all started from a CITI, Yes, CITI golf - and over the past two years has been hurdles swings and roundabouts. Started life as a 1.3, Then a 2.0l ABF (Also was building a VRT) but have finally settled on the 1.8t.

Majority of the parts have been custom made and ordered from USA - UK and everywhere in between. I will post some pics when I get the deliveries !

Heres what a state it was when I bought it:

With this dirty little engine inside

Starting the tear down:

Then cut the crazy rotted and ugly front end off:

Rear arches inner and outer solid:

So about now was the time I had been dreading, Finding the extent of the rot. Being an import they never really treated the car how it should have been, Dribs and drabs had been done where ever they thought was necessary but nothing great.

Inner lowers rotted, Pretty standard on the Mk1's.

Rot Rot Rot

At least its straight !

Cracked out the grinders and made a start at de seaming and cleaning the engine bay up

Dusted with some acid etch

Lower chassis leg

Got the screen out and made a crack on with the scuttle piece

Sorry, dont have picture of finished weld !

And the fresh Early mk1 front end fitted :

Has it actually been since may the last time I updated?!

Okay, So there has been a little more progress since the last update, ill get the pictures rolling.

Engine starting to look a little cleaner.

Acid etched, Primed, Oxided then painted.

Started to do some wheel choices, Ill keep the finals a secret as It hasnt really been done on a mk1 before, So lets see if itll work.

The true moment of truth.

So after all this - it was time to up my game and quit messing around with the project. Time to get into a unit and start the tear down - BIG style.

Attention to every single hole / rust pocket was given

Started to smooth the bay and other holes that were bugging me:

Inside is HELL. But ready for blasting now

Dealin with those horrible swage lines

Skimmed and filled.

Death of the doors, couldnt find some anywhere, time to fabricate again:

Getting these buggers to fit. Ordering some Berg Cup arches this week:

Workshops in a mess at the moment - In major need of a clean hence all the mess.

Updates to follow - Parts order !

Comment

This is relevant to my hobby \m/

Comment

Really nice work, Impressed

Comment

Very nice, loving it so far
          My '66 C10 Build
          My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

20vt i have one as well
            Dubber from the PNW
            Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39429
            Daily Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39066

Comment

Nice!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

i like the direction that this is going, i've always loved the way the mk1 golfs look!

Comment

Nice bud!

Where you based? Since you said the Citi Golf was an import...
                  Bone stock 2004 Audi A8

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, Means a lot. Im not a fabricator, Im just all self taught. Ive been doing mechanics for years, Building things from race scooters - streetfighters and now it was time to up the game and go BIG power.

Im located in Bristol & Gloucester UK, Getting the parts have been a real pain in the ass - Majority of parts have been ordered from USA and should be here in a few weeks. Ordered bits include, Pumps, Teflon lines, Engine goodies inside and out top to bottom, turbo, wastegate, Recirc etc..

Aiming for 500hp for now, But going way overkill so I can go 600+ when Im running Haldex.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                      Thanks a lot guys, Means a lot. Im not a fabricator, Im just all self taught. Ive been doing mechanics for years, Building things from race scooters - streetfighters and now it was time to up the game and go BIG power.

Im located in Bristol & Gloucester UK, Getting the parts have been a real pain in the ass - Majority of parts have been ordered from USA and should be here in a few weeks. Ordered bits include, Pumps, Teflon lines, Engine goodies inside and out top to bottom, turbo, wastegate, Recirc etc..

Aiming for 500hp for now, But going way overkill so I can go 600+ when Im running Haldex.
                      600bhp??????? im subbing now!

Comment

Not a major update. Drove over to Wales to go pick this motor up, Only using the bottom end so the rest is going. Time for the tear down.

Head strip down

Finally after a few hundred hours work - Its starting to take shape and look like a car again. Rust was riddled everywhere, Totally rust free now and im ready to start seam welding and get the cage welded in.

Ps. Sincere apologies for the wack ass photos, Ill be taking all my future pics with my 7d, I never remember to take it to the unit with me !

Cheers guys !
                        Last edited by Butch; 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Okay so it seems like forever since ive been able to have the time to post an update, been so busy with work, researching and mainly sourcing parts from all over the joint - from USA - Europe etc.. Im currently in process of moving my unit and taking all my bits back to my own garage so I have more time to work on it - Travelling 40 - 50 mile round trip just to do a couple of hours work isnt working out very well and cant seem to find any local units... Anyways, enough of the chat and more of the pictures.

This is not even 40% of what ive ordered, my garage has become a new dumping ground for car parts.... Garage take over....

MASSIVE thank you to Custom Cages uk for making this bespoke mk1 cage. Quality and engineering is superior to any cage ive seen before, im sure the story wont be quite the same when I come to fit it all. But time will tell!

FINALLY sourced a large port head - Time for a tear down and clean up ready for the new valvetrain

RS500 Cosworth alloy radiator to keep things cool

02M 6 speed box ready to be stripped, built and new diff to be homed in here - Great news the diff has now been made and is being shipped over from the US as we speak. LOoking forward to the package from the US of A. Some big things are coming over !

Took a walk over the road to the boys at FORGE motorsport - Thanks for hooking me up with the[/IMG] all good supersize valve - Somewhat something of a peice of engineering art...

Can you see how cold it is here in the UK now then? Check the frosting on the alloy parts haha

New 3" intercooler - pretty huge buy should fit with a little modification

Decided to go Sparco - Really happy with the quality and the weight? What weight? For steel frames these are insane light.. Super stoked with these.

Ordered up my new clutch - Should be ready in a month or so.. Or maybe a year? Seem to have to wait forevvvvvvvver for parts at the moment.. Well i guess good things come to those who wait??

Comment

Okay Okay couldnt leave this one out.. Could I ?

Thats all for now folks, Again sorry for the shoddy pictures... Need to go grab my DSLR next and ill get some real pictures up.. *LAZYASS*

Hopefully be picking up some new bits this week, fuel rail, FPR, rest of the wiring and a load more billet goodness.

Thanks !

Comment

yummy yummy yummy
                              Dubber from the PNW
                              Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39429
                              Daily Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39066

Comment

Working...
                              X