This Legend Will Die Hard- A Sad Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Legend Will Die Hard- A Sad Story

So this is my first real car ive ever started on. I'm 21 years old and currently working as a server in a restaurant. Almost all of my tip money has been invested into this baby to restore revive and revitalize this legend.

When i first got her:

Has faded trim, stock ride height, stock 4 cylinder 200 bhp and 205 ft/lb of torque.Also dent in the front bumper (look at the fin of the lower grille and you can kind of see it) and no aero lip.

TIME FOR PARTS !:
    Sourced a 3 point subframe brace:

Custom CAI:

Engine Brace:

Short Shifter:

Momo Shift knob:

AEM Digital Boost and AFR gauges:

Gauges Installed Shortly after:

Annnnnd that was it for about a few months....Afterwards i was looking into tuners and trying to find out what performance options were their for saabs. I managed to find some kits from guys like JZW tuning, Maptun, BSR, BCB tuning, and Tuning by MPS.

So i decided to go with JZW tuning and took the necessary steps to get my car ready for a stage 3 tune. These cars come with a Mitsubishi TD04-14T turbo stock about 12 PSI and the stage 3 tune pushes that to 21 PSI with numbers of 281 bhp and 317 ft-lbs. Not bad for a 4 cylinder and the fact that it helps give some Pep on these Canadian roads.

So saving up cash i decided to help my buddy plasti dip his car

Finished Product:

We shortly filled in the center with black.

Being all cool car guy like in the parking lot of the gym:

At this point i had bilstein B8s installed and lowering springs from eibach which dropped the car about 1.25". Definitely better handling but now im looking to go for something a bit more....lets say laying frame?

A local Car store had a wicked Thanksgiving sale and basically had 50-75% off everything and i ended up buying a FMIC from mishimoto. Its their M-Line Limited Edition Gold color so i snagged it for only $150.00

(dont mind the rusted screws, it was their from a prior shops "bumper repair" and i ended up tearing them off....with my hands)

I had no experience welding so i took it to a car shop up the road from me. Theyre called Boost Theory and produce some of the best work around.
    The mount for the intercooler:

Pipes getting welded up and measured.

Perfect fitment:

Tada !

At this point is now where i got my new serving job and was working two jobs, personal trainer by day, then server by night. So i started saving up again and paying cash for all my parts instead of credit and next thing you know more and more of stage 3 saab came to being.

Oh hai dere turbo

Custom 3" downpipe with one racecat again being made by Boost Theory

And the good old finished product

Sounds great, its not too overly obnoxious. Ive had the car for almost 2 years and been only pulled over by a cop once for the noise. He tried to get me to slip up that it wasnt a stock exhaust but i know my way around questions

Decided to detail my interior, poor seat has a tear in it

BAM WINTER TIME

That was on a local road for me going to work. Usually my drive to work is about 15-20 minute, this time it took 2 FREAKING HOURS.

Oh hai dere, wats dis ?

What the hell is this ????? Oh...its upside down

YAYYY Handheld is here for tuning !

And then shit hit the fan.......My clutch started to slip.....hardcore. Ended up ruining it really bad. So i went and bought a brand new Clutch kit from Spec, its Stage 3+ with a lightweight flywheel rated at 600 hp and 750 ft lb of torque. Doubt ill hit those numbers soon but at least i know i wont have to worry about it for a while.

Clutch went in, and the beauty soared like the gryphon it is. Later on i ended up taking out the lower front grille, wanted people to really see the FMIC.

Lunch time:

Then around august i bought some Audi rs4 rep wheels with brand new BF Good rich sport comp2s. Great tires imo, hard for me to do burnouts in fwd but the grip definitely handles the power as opposed to my crappy stock pirrelli p6's which were 3 years old.

Putting them on (Also got upgraded brakes and rotors)

Moved and grew a moustache:

Stance....not really....lol

At this point in the stage of my car things started to change for me. I got heavily into stanceworks, fatlace, canibeat, and stancenation blogs. I learned more about quality over quantity and what its like to be a real car enthusiast. I sat for days and days and days thinking what is the next step for my car....i mean everything has been absolutely perfect with it and i have no issues with it (baby is at 109000kms). Then i started looking....what hasnt really been done and doesnt gain alot of support in the saab community......STANCE ! Everyone with saab is always trying to achieve 300+ hp. You dont see anyone trying to do stance because they have their posh pinkys in the air being hoity toity on how its not sophisticated....so i said fuck them im gonna take a different route. So the plan was to have the car on air ride with rare wheels and more rare parts.
    First item i bought that wasnt planned

Then got the sucker installed by Boost Theory:

Next was wheels....i was plagued and a total n00b when it came to wheels. I didnt at the time really know what the difference between monoblock, two piece, three piece, forged wheels or any of the sorts was. So i started researching what worked for our cars.....nothing....see , our cars have a unique 5x110 bolt pattern that some genius thought would be awesome, at this point i would need adapters - sure no problem- but first i wanted wheels that would gain me attention and again show rarity so i started looking. I ended up finding some wheels on yahoo auctions (thanks google for translating) and ended up purchasing them for only $1200.00. They fit the car perfectly when it came to heritage and the brand (Work wheels) was an icon in the wheel industry.

Here they are:

Three piece work equips from japan, 18x8.5 with a 35 offset and a 18x9.5 with a 15 offset.
    So i test fitted the rears with the 18x9.5 and thought......good.....but meh not good enough.
    So i sent them out to get re finished and re built by a awesome place in cambridge called Righteous Garage.

Heading to the shop:

And teasers of the wheels until the new year.
    24k Gold hardware

18x10 fronts and 18x11 rears(look at that 4inch dish!)

Then that was it.....left it with my buddies at Righteous Garage to do theyre magic while i went back to step one of my plan.....the seats. I enjoy the bride seat alot and had a side plan to do a drift car. Unfortunately living on server wage can be tough and owning two cars while 21 and paying for insurance like that in Canada is retarded (got quoted for 1200.00 a month) So with all the time i invested in the car i made a executive decision to make the saab a rare breed with a vip styling that never has been done before, and unfortunately the beautiful bride seat will have to go for sale.

I spent months researching for seats when i found the perfect pair from Cipher Auto.

Mocked up, and then bolted in together later

And then shortly installed again by Boost Theory:

Brackets had to be custom made considering no one makes racing seats or brackets for a saab.

Now we come to today where my birthday passed and i started drinking this

Go to an Evil Dead Musical and get covered in fake blood

And now start to enjoy my winter holidays. Updates will happen after the new year, i ordered a fender roller, the wheels should be assembled after coming back from the powder coaters, and money will be saved for air ride. I also applied to school for automotive technician so the new year will be fun
    Last edited by P78; 06-02-2015, 02:39 AM.

In for more turbo Saab on old, wide 3 spoke Japanese wheels.

Also give me that Bride seat

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Holy shit. Bowing down right now. I love seeing other Saabs around here! My 9-5 will be getting down in the near(ish) future; possibly with airride as well. The three spokes are perfect, and those seats...god damn. You certainly have my attention.

It's a work in progress^
      Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
      Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I..I need that Bride seat.
        sigpic
        IG: @sexxyton

Comment

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit the wheels man
          -Instagram@jdjurhuus
          Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

wheeeeeeels!

Comment

this is a sweet build... been a while since i subscribed to something .... Subscribed.

Comment

I saw the first seat, and by itself, it looks terrible imo. But the newest set you have looks fantastic, didn't expect that. Normally I **** these, but I think it pulls the interior together
                My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Comment

Man can't wait to see these wheels mounted (I like where this is going) keep up the good work

Comment

I saw the first seat, and by itself, it looks terrible imo.

Comment

I couldn't imagine a better choice of wheels.

Comment

oh my those wheels
                        cant wait to see them on that saab!

1990 Honda Civic Wagon - SOLD
                        1997 BMW 318i Vert
                        1992 Mercedes Benz 300e - SOLD
                        1970 Mercedes Benz 250
                        1976 Volvo 242DL

Comment

this is sooo badass!
                          Like a glove

Comment

snazzy saab, me gusta

dunno how expensive Hirsch 3 spokes are over there

but how about a set of those for winter?
                            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Awesome, love the gold IC . Sub'd!
                              My Build:

Comment

Working...
                              X