Calypso Story e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calypso Story e30

Let me introduce myself. My name is Steven, and I am a very active member of R3Vlimited, and hope to become one here. My car has always been stanced, and I thought you guys would probably enjoy my build thread a bit more than the traditional sat R3V.

All of this is copied and pasted, so there may be some things that contradict. This will be long, so sit back, relax, and read.

This is the story of my 1991 318 Cabrio. She was born in February of 1991 and lived a fairly normal life going from owner to owner and was used as a normal daily driven car.

But before we get to her, we should start with the back story.
    A couple years ago, I was searching for my first car. A family friend came over and said their neighbor had a BMW for sale that was a steal of a price. I couldn't resist, so I hopped in the car with my dad and drover over there to find a single owner immaculate 1993 325i in Alpine White. I had to have it.

I threw on some budget coils and redid the entire suspension along with some nice 16" style 5s.
    Before she got sold.

That's where I started my love for BMWs. Everyone always told me that they were expensive and a pain to work on, and while I would soon come to learn they are sort of both, I cannot contain my love for them, e30s and e36s alike.

After I sold the e36, I decided I had to have an e30. After searching for over a month (not having a car that entire time), I got a pm on here from a user called Herb. I went and looked at the car and fell in love with the car. We agreed on a price after much back and forth and a few days later I went and picked it up.
    These first set of picture will be crappy phone pictures--sorry I didn't know one day I'd document this build.

The first day i got her:

Not soon after I got her, my mom backed up into her. :hitler: I was pissed to say the least but she was extremely apologetic and we got everything sorted out.
    The damage:

Even my car was mad. ;D 1:

With money sorted out, I decided that my bouncy suspension was more important than a little body damage. So I ordered a Jom coilover kit. (No pictures of this sorry. Installation was easy and took me around an hour. (After having them for almost a year, I'd recommend them to anyone who dailies their car and wants to be low. Although they are a tad too bouncy for me.
    The next step was to get rid of those ugly bottle caps. Vivek had a set of weaves and since we are good friends he sold me them for $100. Not bad. They had decent tires.

Definitely gave the car a whole new look. Much better.

I decided that my paint needed a buff, so i cut and buff the entire car. (took daysssssss)

And after that I ticked over the 154k mark

I never really liked the tan interior in the car, and always preferred a black interior over tan anyways. So i picked up a set of these early on knowing my future plans.

Some time had passed and I had not done any work on my car recently, so I was itching for a project. It couldn't have been a better time, because I scored a full black interior at Pick n Pull for only $100. So I started my mission to convert my interior to black. (Took 2 days~8 hours)

After one coat don't worry more were to come.

I don't have pictures of the finished carpet but here's my interior finished.

After that I got some cluster rings, an Alipina strip, and did some red needles.

Then I tackled some all red tail lights:

Luke was in the area, so I purchased a luke box from him.

At some point I also shadow lined my trim (no pictures, but you'll see it later)
    This is the end of the old story.. (The little things I did)
    This is also close to the end of the shitty blurry pictures... oops.

At this point I longed for more power. I had always looked to m50 and s50 swaps, but they were never realistic goals. Until I saw a post on NorCal chat with an s50 for $1000. Granted, it was in pieces and needing to be reassembled, but it came from a trustworthy member of the forums and I had and have full faith in the engine. I took a trip up to San Francisco one day to take a look. Just as the ad stated, it was in pieces. haha. This was my first look of the inside of an s50 in person, and let me tell you, it wouldn't be my last. This would be my second engine rebuild, but I had help from my mechanic of a dad.
    I offered $800 for the engine under the condition that he deliver it to me because he had a truck. He accepted and took a $100 deposit. The next day, this showed up:

Was rebuilt about 5k ago

I found somewhere to stash everything for the night until the next day when I could set up my work station. The next day everything was put away in it's own place, and parts were already ordered. (Through my favorite part supplier Blunttech). Also ordered an e34 oil pan, dipstick and pickup. This came in a few days which means I could start work on my engine.

After this, I worked on it here and there between going to school and making consoles.
    Then an add showed up stating that the guy had two sets of style 5s for sale (one 16" and the other 17") both fill and drill. Me and my friend decided to pick them both up for a discount and scored both sets for only $800. Mine were powder coated black and after test fitting I decided I did not like the idea of having a black hole for a wheel so I went and picked up some paint to have some unique colored wheels.

Almond. I absolutely adore it.
    The next morning:

And then I had a chance to capture some pictures with my DSLR

That was that, and now it was time to continue on with the engine. I cleaned the pistons although I only have a before picture:

They were shiny when I was done.
    I got the cams installed on the head. Holding my breath the entire time...

Then started the ordering process. Parts started tricking in while my bank account was being depleted.

I started cleaning and painting everything from there so I could start to reassemble.

Oh and I lowered my car a bit more.

Then a deal of a life time popped up. The same guy that I had bought my wheels from knew that I was doing an S50 swap and had crashed his S50 swapped car months before. Not having time to part it out, it was headed to Pick n Pull. So he offered me the car at what they were going to give me and I picked up the car that weekend. I scored the car for $350!!

The car was full of goodies like H&R Race and Bilsteins, and s50, stainless steel brake lines, a custom turner turn for 21.5# injectors and 3.5" maf, zf tranny, LSD, etc. Ill get pictures of all the parts I have ready to go in may car tomorrow. For now I just have one.

More parts were coming in, and I was getting closer to finishing the rebuild.

Just a mock up.... lol

Last edited by Steven?; 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM.

kj by
    Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay/BBS RM

Continued...

I got to work on the calipers today. I took the calipers off the parts car so I could rebuild them ready to just swap onto the car when it comes time.
    This is where I started:

I found that the front calipers were badly pitted and over all just messed up... So I'll have to get another pair to rebuild.

First thing I did was polish up the pistons... Sorry no before pictures. But they had surface rust and were gross before hand.

Then I gave them a bath in the parts washer and gave them a coat of paint!

After that it was rebuild time. I also honed them at the same time.

And done! Now just to get ahold of some front ones and I'll be set!

Oh I also cleaned these up a bit ready for install

Made some progress on the engine today. It's starting to take shape! The engine is timed and vanos back on along with lots of other things. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

And some extra parts I haven't shown on the thread yet...
    Pink top Injectors

3.5" MAF

Evo Sport Water pump Pulley

That's it for today. I'm waiting on main bearing bolts and rod bolts from Blunt then I can slap the pan on. After that it's waiting for stuff to get back from powder coat, then it should be all back together... Now I just have to find the $350 for a new clutch.... ouch!

Today I got the rod bolts and main bearing bolts in the mail, along with the rest of the parts to finish off refreshing my shift linkage.
    Box o' Parts

New rod bolts ready to go in. Also used blue Locktite on them...

Old vs New

What It looked like when i started:

Finished

Then I cleaned the surface for the oil pan gasket. Dropped this... Opps.. Thank god for magnets

That's it for tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the oil pan on.

Stay tuned for an update on Powder coating coming tonight!

Got these pictures from Bruce tonight (e30vert)

He didn't get the valve cover done, last I heard he was having problems with his media blaster getting clogged up... We'll see. Hopefully everything will work out and he can get it done.

Got the oil pan on a couple nights ago, just didn't get around to putting up the pictures.

Looks like the po drilled out one of the threads on the head. Never noticed it until li tried to put in the stud. Time to tap it.
    What igloos like

What it's supposed to look like

I also got an order in from Blunt. I'll put a picture of that up when I get home.

kj by

Comment

Continued...

Okay. Long time no update.
      Well this came in a little while ago:

Stock S50 clutch with "sport disc"
      Then shit hit the fan and my m42 tensioner started going out, so I decided I'd just start the swap since my engine was mostly back together.
      First it got jacked up:

What if I was this low??

SO i started to take out the exhaust and drive shaft and was left with this:

Did a compression test on the m42 before it got taken out. And of coarse who cant resist starting up the engine open headers??? haha. Set off multiple car alarms.

A neighbor helping me get it out. everything was mostly disconnected

Almost there!

There *Phew*

What I was left with:

After a quick bath:

That's it for now. Once the weather gets better I'll start doing the shave. This is the look I'm going for:

Got to work on the e30 yesterday and today. Here's the update.

Lots of picture and I don't feel like typing much so for the most part I'll let them do the talking.
      Took out the ac shit, disconnected the abs, took out the brake booster, and undid the front wiring harness in preparation for the tuck.

Thanks P.O.

Bagged up the gas lines in preparation for grinding.

Took off the finder and wheel so I could drill out the hole for tucking.

Found all this in the fender where the rocker is with a nice bit of rust. Add one more thing ill now have to fix.

Grinding. At this point I had a friend keeping me company and taking pictures for me.

Disregard the holes in the metal I fucked up.

Of coarse she has to take weird pictures of me.

Dad decided he wanted to have a hand in my build.

Done for the day. Carnage:

Did a bit of work today on the wires from the ABS module and stripped down most of the seam sealer.

What I was left with after some stripping:

Took off the tunnel insulation.

Reference of where everything goes in the fuse box

Cut the ABS wires and fed them back through the fuse box. Should I cap the wires and leave them in the fuse box or trace them all the way back?

What was left of the ABS wires.

Traced the hot line back and deleted it fully.

Leaving just one hot line going back to the fuse box instead of two.

Then I just spayed some primer on the bay to keep rust at bay until I get the time to do some welding.

So for anyone who's done an ABS delete, did you just cap the wires or trace them all the way back?

I was gone most of Thanksgiving break, so I couldn't do anything on the car until tonight. I didn't do much, but i did some stuff in preparation for welding.

First step was to take off the front valence...

Then I started to mock up the templates.... Yes I'm using a Coca Pebbles box...

Then they all got numbered for reference...

Stared to trace them out...

Then I thought, how am I going to cut these out???
      Tried some tin snips and decided, Fuck That.

So for $8 I went and bought these babies...

All traced out....

And finally cut.

I still have to make a few more templates for stuff like the triangular supports on the strut towers, but after that I can start welding...

On another note, I have spare metal that I cant take back... If anyone wants a set of these, I can whip you up one...

kj by

Comment

Update--12/5/2013

So. Time for a regular update. This was yesterday's work.

Yesterday I welded for the first time in preparation for doing my bay. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

First ever welds

I was getting better...

What I ended up making the night:

And done for the night...

Then today I went and did some more welding, so I can get as much practice in before I go to work on my bay.

Let's practice some stitch welding.... It's enviable that I'm going to be doing lots of this.

Messing around...

Added on to my sculpture...

And that's it.... As you can see, I'm not too great at welding, but I'm sure as time goes on, and after I'm done with my bay, I should be a whole lot better...

kj by

Comment

Love it! Just fantastic man.

Comment

Wow great read man!

Awesome job so far

Comment

intriguing keep it up!
              Mx73 Cressida Build check it out!
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59875

Ig: Japetto516

Comment

damn doing all this on the road in front of your house? Impressive. Beautiful color as well, by far my favorite e30 color.
                Instagram: @dillonmakar

1986 Bagged s50 BMW e30 HERE

Comment

I don't want this thread to ever end

Comment

Wow great read man!

Comment

thats one clean ass e30 dude, i cant wait to see what the finish product will be

Comment

This is going to be incredible. Looking forward to how that engine bay comes together.
                        2013 Shelby GT500 on AirLift and Rotiforms - Build Thread
                        Instagram: @gallopingford

Comment

nice project man...keep it going

Comment

wow want to see this unfold
                            IMG_20140729_210811 by MGRAND3, on Flickr

My build thread.http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33607
                            Instagram: MGRAND3

Comment

before you weld next time strip the metal (both sides) with a wire wheel. Clean metal and a good ground is essential.

Comment

Working...
                              X