1989 Saab 900 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Saab 900 Build

Hey guys! First off, I'm "new" here. I follow the happenings of StanceWorks but have never signed up for the forum. So, quick intro, I'm 20 years old, I live in Ontario, Canada, and my daily driver, which has unfortunately never been treated with pretty suspension parts and cool engine things, is a 2001 VW GTI.

Now, onto my new car. I picked this 900 up for $500 at a farm. She didn't exactly run so I trailered her away on a U-haul. The goal at the end of the day is to have a winter daily. So, for now, no crazy stance ideas. Maybe the wrong place for this build but I'm afraid that some Saab purist will start yelling at me somewhere else!

First off, we tried jumping her when I went to pick her up. No luck starting, so we pulled her out with a tractor and pushed her onto the trailer. The previous owner was super helpful with trying to get her going at 11:00 pm in the rain.

Next up, I parked her at her new home until Christmas when I plan to register her in my home province of Nova Scotia.

A quick trip to crappy tire to buy a battery, fresh oil, and spark plugs. I figured that would be enough to start at getting her running.

So, finally got under the hood. We changed the oil, spark plugs, installed the new battery, but she still wouldn't start. We quickly determined that the fuel pump wasn't getting any power. I also found an ECU in the trunk, so I emailed the previous owner to see if I could get a story behind that. Otherwise, the car seems mechanically sound for the most part.

Update: All my pictures (and extras) are available [here]
    Also, my friend's pictures are available [here]

Last edited by erik74; 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM.
    2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t
    1989 Saab 900 (base model)

congrats on ur new ride man...hop nothing serius there....

Comment

Thanks man! I haven't been able to get up to the car yet this weekend, but all my research points towards a crapped out ECU...and if I'm correct, the ECU in the trunk will work in my car, but I'm basing that off the colour of a sticker. Fingers crossed!
      2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

I love these cars! Almost bought a sedan once, still want some kind of early 900. Excited to see where you take this one
        - Garrett

@mtm_garrett on Instagram

Comment

Thanks mtm_motors!

Turns out the ECU in the trunk was from the previous owners '89 900 Turbo and isn't compatible with my car. On the bright side, it's worth something to someone. So I went ahead and paid ~$100 for a "new" ECU on ebay and I'll sell this extra one I have.
          2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

One of my favorite cars. Make it good.

Comment

Cool don't blow it
              Volvo Build Thread
              Bmw Build Thread
              Toyota Build Thread
              zanebonk instagram
              Tumblrrrr

Comment

Great car, good luck with this

Comment

I've always wanted one of these.

Do good things.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

I like this

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Hopefully my ECU will come in this week and I'll be able to install it. Also may have to deal with a parasitic load, unless I accidentally left my interior lights on. I think we're going to tackle the wiring to make sure it's all in good shape before we move on to anything else.
                        2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

This thread has a Saab, therefore it pertains to my interests. Huge Saab nut here. Definitely subscribing to this one. I don't think messing with a base model '89 will bother the purists too badly. What are your plans for it?

It's a work in progress^
                          Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
                          Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Hooray Saab content! I'm sure my brother, Svenska94Aero will pop in here pretty soon to get you riled up on this.

I too am in for plans...
                            1973 Super Beetle-- Blue Zombie, 1988 635csi, 1962 Volksrod-- Little Bug

Comment

^Hey that's me!

Sup buddy, nice starting point you've got here, interested to see where it goes!
                              Here are my Saab projects over the past couple years:
                              '94 Aero

'97 CSE Anniversary

And my new race car. '90 SPG. I didn't build this one, but I'll be improving on it for the coming seasons.

It's been converted to later T5 engine management with direct ignition, 9000 clutch, adjustable suspension, and a Holset hy35 turbo. Thing screams even on a super conservative tune, capable of over 400hp with bigger injectors
                              Hit me up if you wanna talk Saabs sometime!
                              -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
                              -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
                              -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
                              -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

Working...
                              X