Trabant Kombi from Deutschland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trabant Kombi from Deutschland

This will be a slow build as this project car is for the wife, and I have 3 other cars in front of it. But since I did not see any other trabant builds on here yet, I figure I would be the first. So the back story...

After a 5 year search, finally found one in my back yard.... a Trabant 601 Kombi/Wagon. Wife has been lusting after one for years, and that is actually how I got into Mini's. Now why would she want a car that is one of the top rated 50 worst cars ever made in the world... because she had one growing up on the eastern block. I bought it as a suprise and started a quick resto in my back garage without her knowing. Exterior wise pretty damn good shape for a 30 year old car and in its original paint/duroplast. I suprised her last fall by pulling her over in the neighborhood. She was in tears and speechless. Her family is all still in Germany, and recently her parents came over and could not believe we had one in the US. Her dad used to tote them around in this car for 15 years.

Now, being as this is her car, she wants to keep it "original". I was thinking about swapping a wartburg engine in for a kinda period mod, but she won't have it. So basically I will tune the 2 cylinder engine, and drop it. I am gonna try and go for a 6 or 7" drop static because this will just be a weekend cruiser to downtown to get donuts or around the neighborhood.

Anyway, onto the pics.

Can see some of the Mini's photobombing in the background, a 70 Inno, and 66 Woody.

Cleaning out interior, and dying all black

Making new carpet, black of course.

Will eventually redo front seats cause they about had it.

This was at last years Trabant Parade. Lowered it probably about 2 inches atleast, painted bumpers black, redid exhaust, etc.

Mike fiddling with carb.

Breaking through the fake Berlin Wall

Some of the other contenders at the show.
    Last edited by notabmw1; 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM.

1998 Astro, 1976 Mini Clubman Estate, 1985 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Here is how she is sitting right now. I have 3 nights to get it running, lowered some more, etc to make it to the 7th Annual Trabant Parade at the SPY MUSUEM in Wash, DC.. Last time it ran was back in March. Hopefully shouldn't be a problem since it's a simple car.

Wanted to try something different with the stock steelies. Painted the centers deep metallic cherry. Hopefully I will tuck lip by the end of this week.

Comment

I'm trying to get about this low. I fabricated rear camber pucks for the arms. These cars use transverse leaf springs, so I pulled about 2 leafs for now, front I am gonna try putting a lowering block on it for now till I can either make up a set of de-arched leafs or just splash out on the legit stuff in DE.

Comment

rad
        Greg
        1974 Volvo 142

Comment

love that there is a scene for this in the US

I saw those so often back when I visited my Grandparents in the east...now there are hardy any...most are rotting away in some backyard

Comment

I love these cars so much. So simple but fun.

There are actually some old people in my area who still use them everyday, but they become fewer and fewer.
            '97 Golf Mk3.

Comment

Sweet I love it.
              Volvo Build Thread
              Bmw Build Thread
              Toyota Build Thread
              zanebonk instagram
              Tumblrrrr

Comment

This was how low I got it last year. Needs more low, I want to get the lip at the arch on the rear without looking like it has reverse rake. Not sure it will be possible in the next few days. Going to have to get creative.
                Last edited by notabmw1; 11-11-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Got her running last night! Just got a few more small details to iron out and be ready for the parade. I managed to lower her 1.5" in the front more, and 1" in the rear. Still not enough, so over the winter I will pull the leaf packs and re-arch them flat and up. I want a full 7" drop! Anyway, here are some teaser photos. Need to get my light bar with beacon light back on tonight.

Deep metallic cherry.

Sitting in the garage with the Morris, just tucking tire.

Comment

this thing is awesome! can't wait to see more updates!

Build thread ------> http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1186733#post1186733

Comment

Got the lightbar on last night, need to tweak the beacon light a little bit. Normally I don't get into the paraphernalia, but her dad donated some legit hats.

Light bar on, and yes I do have the Euro HI-LO siren.

Might have to tinker with making some expansion exhausts like I did on my Motobecane.
                      Last edited by notabmw1; 11-11-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Well pics are in from this past weekend. Was happy getting it "done" for the parade. Would have liked it to have been lower, and less positive camber on the front, but eh... it will get there. Was happy to take a few lucky raffle winners on a ride through Chinatown in the Trabi. A lot showed up this year! A few Wartburgs, and early p50 trabants were there as well.

My buddies pink one, haha.

Trabant kübel

Redbull in my trabi to keep it going.

Drivin through the cardboard Berlin wall

When I got it home, still friends with the clubby wagon.

Comment

so cool, didn't realize there were that many in the us

Comment

There was probably a total of 15 mk2 trabants, 2 p50 trabi's, and 2 wartburgs in attendance. Not bad! And I was pretty shocked at the turnout this year, keeps on growing.

Comment

Really digging this! Is this an East German trabant?

Keep it up comrade!

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                              @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Working...
                              X