2007 GTI Timeline / Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 GTI Timeline / Build

Since build threads are the cool thing to do I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. Although this will be more like a timeline considering I haven't done anything extensive as of yet.

Ill start off by introducing myself because I don't post too much. I usually only post on VwVortex but I thought I would stop being a lurker and copy/paste my thread here as well.

Started off with a 2001 Wolfsburg Jetta - Owned it for 5 years, ended up looking like this by the time I sold it with 210k on the clock:

Selling it helped me purchase the new car - 2007 United Grey GTI. I purchased the car with 83K on the clock in really good condition.

Some sweet stock photos:

It wasn't going to stay stock for long so then come some DIY projects:

Filled the plate holes, paint matched the smiley with vinyl, and debadged the GTI emblem on the stock grill setup:

And whats a build thread without....

I finished off the shield with said Plasti-dip....

Went ahead and installed ST coilovers:

At this point I had also grabbed a full Wolfsburg grill setup, and wrapped my roof with black vinyl.

Decided to try out a new taillight look and did some custom all red tails:

Full OEM votex kit followed shortly after:

Next up I needed wheels, me and my buddy messed around and mounted his AMG wheels from his A4:

Loved the look but didn't have the dough to offer him while he was in town plus they were a little too aggressive for the look I was going for.

Ended up finding a really good deal on Craig's for a set of OEM Audi BBS CH's that were in ROUGH shape so I scooped them up. i dont really have any good before shots of the wheels but they were all deeply curbed and scuffed. A buddy of mine refinishes wheels for an auto body company so he made me a great deal on a full refurb/spray of the set.

In the process:

All nice and painted back to original silver gloss:

Specs are 18x8 ET 43

Wasted no time getting them mounted to some Hankook V12's 215/40/18

Got them on the car and am very happy with the OEM+ look:

Ordered up a set of OEM Projector Fogs and OEM R-line textured mirror caps:

I traded some dude on craigslist my stock beat Denver's for a full 3" 42DD turbo back with Cat.

Very happy with the sound, its freaking mean sounding even for a fully stock motor.

Here are some more random iPhone shots

Finally got a decent trade offer for my CH's and I pulled the trigger:

Forgeline vr3p's

18 x 8.5 ET 40 w/ 452 215/40
    18 x 9.5 ET 48 w/ 452 225/40

Pretty pumped on this, centers were painted Candy White with a polish lip. This might change over the winter if I decide to pull them apart to paint the centers silver or UG, but right now Im actually not minding the white on the wheels.

My buddy came down from Ithaca, NY a few days before we left for H2Oi 2013 so we could prep the cars/drink beers so we started by replacing his T-stat because he was having some minor overheating issues:

Ended up repainting the all red tails after failing at wrapping them with vinyl - turned out 100% better than the first time around and shouldn't fade this time!

Did allot of cleaning / waxing / detailing and then took the trip down Friday from CT to MD and my buddy got a decent roller of my car:

Stopped for nourishment..

My buddy ended up picking up some wheels on the way down, we threw them on in the Makai lot (where we stayed) when we got there Friday night and all was good....until we went to drive back up North on Sunday. Wheels were smacking the struts in the rear so we had to swap back to his stockers a few miles into Delaware haha

Had an amazing weekend, was really bummed to leave and was even more bummed that I didn't take ANY pictures - was having too much fun just chilling and enjoying the festivities.

That brings me to a few weekends ago where I decided that I needed to get the front's lower to get rid of the optical illusion of reverse rake. Only issue being is that the coils are maxed out so we had to get creative and just cut the extra 1/2" of metal off of the bottom of the strut to allow the strut to sit lower in the lower knuckle:

Ended up giving me just the amount that I wanted, about 3/8" of an inch lower

Then me and my buddy went to Staggered Fall Edition - had some beers

Well that's where Im at right now - now I'm on the hunt for winter wheels

Originally posted by Ghost•Images View Post

Went ahead and installed ST coilovers:

Nice car. Do coilover installs on a MK5 require cutting/grinding?
    Last edited by HKSpeed; 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Not usually, I had to cut the endlink off on that side because triple square bolt was stripped.

Only thing you really have to look out for is the axle on the driver side popping out of the hub - which has happened to me both times.

Comment

Well finally got a set of winter wheels this past weekend. Some 16" steels with some sweet hubcaps.

Probably going to have to spin up a few threads - fronts are banging pretty good on the fenders on turns with any sort of bump or crack. Would love to leave it this low but its not worth the risk of bacon fenders with these balloon tires.

Comment

nice GTI man, lovin the forgelines!

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

Nice to see a MK5 on something other than BBS! great job so far!

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

I know ya'll are jealous of these hubcaps....

Comment

hubcaps are dope haha... coming from another mkV guy. Still don't have my winter wheels on yet need an alignment 3 degrees camber up front and 4 degrees in the rear should do great in the snow right haha.
                    Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                    and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                    S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

great job on your mk5 man, it turned out awesome. and i love those winter hubcaps

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Im sort of making a mental list of the next steps I want to accomplish come spring time. As of right now Im planning taking apart the Forgelines and painting the centers United Grey, painting the barrels gloss black and giving the lips a good polish.

Luckily the same dude who refinished my CH's is going to give me a great price on the whole thing so Im pretty pumped.

Once the weather gets better Im going into full detail mode, trying to clean every nook and cranny. Then I'll probably focus on some interior mods - i can't take my Premium 7 headunit glitches for one more year...

Comment

Fun stuff......

Comment

at least you look good while doing it

Comment

Beautiful your GTI...

Which ink do you use on your rear red taillight ?

Comment

Working...
                              X