'89 classic mini rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 classic mini rebuild

I've always been a lurker on Stance Works, and I've been snooping around on here for maybe a year or so, but I thought it was time to make an account and make a build thread of my Classic mini.

I have been prompted to do this mainly because very few members on classic mini forums have the same outlook on the mini as i do. I had no idea i mustered the power to summon an angry mob of middle aged men to start a rage fest concerning stretched tyres and camber.

I digress. I purchased the mini 3 years ago. Everything seemed 'sound' for a few months until holes began to appear, and the fuel pump started drowning the engine on the motorway at about 3am traveling home from work, which started making a terrifying backfiring in the manifold.

here he is.

Before we continue i would just like to confirm that i paid way too much for this bucket.

It was about a year before i had to actually start repairing bits and bobs.
    I threw myself in at the deep end a bit. I started to de-bumper.

The rear getting de-bumpered. To do this was a ball ache. Litterally 3 panels made from pig iron folded together to make the seam. It was a case of chop then weld, all the way along the rear vallance.

getting the corners of the vallance nice and round before following it along the back.

New bonnet, or hood

Then grille fell off...

But, things got better! I purchased a set of starmags.

It was these wheels that completely set me in a different direction with the build.

a fairly nice upgrade.

Unfortunately these wheels seemed to be rather desirable, and attracted hostile attention.

It was lucky that said thieves were ridiculously stupid. The only damage was that to my pride, and some broken brake lines on the left, where the wheel had buckled in totally. Fairly easy fix.

After that the winter came, and as much as i wanted the car done, i wasn't going to sit out there while it was raining cats and dogs. The winter wasn't kind, and a little while after driving holes started to appear and the outer CV's went. Since i had to get the hubs off for this i also fitted new ball joints and bearings, and extended trackrod ends.

a little hole in the wing that needed new metal welded in.

And after

Since i also fitted new shocks, i felt it would be good to do the adjustable suspension also. Unfortunately i have no pics off this. Many swears happened that day.
    I also didn't quite get the height right.

As cool as it looked, it wasn't possible to get the car off the driveway.

After the suspension was done, i turned to performance.

I bought a new larger bore single box RC40 exhaust system, inlet manifold as well as an overhaul for the carb (new jets, needle etc).

The old and the new system.

And the new torquemaster inlet

Then de-grased the engine and painted it.

By the time this was all done, i had acquired enough money for a respray. Finally. I had re-skinned a door and fixed it, but the weather got to it before it could be sprayed, so i just bought a new set. This is how it looked before painting...

And during the process.

it only needed a little bit of welding, all of the rust was also sand blasted off, and a new front panel was fitted.
    Polishing.

The roof was like a mirror.

And how it looked when it was finally back on the driveway, with new arches, and a new, MK1 grille and bullet door mirrors.

Then i started the interior. I don't really need to type all this bit out, ill just post the pics of everything.

Cream leather interior. My mum is pretty handy with a sewing machine, and offered to make the new seat covers with cream leather from a sofa that was originally going to get thrown out.

Jaguar gear knob.

the engine after a tart-up.

I then lowered the car a little more, since the new arches were a fair amount wider it would cover the wheel, opposed to hitting it on the outside edge.

This is how it's currently sitting. Not really 'stanced' yet, but i'm getting closer.

So, i'll be updating this probably some point in the next few days, as i just bought it too. A 1275 engine and gearbox. I also noticed when i collected it it has a 11 stud cooper 's' cylinder head on it, which means I'm sure there is something nice lurking in the block (Larger bore fingers crossed).

I'll round of this huge post with my dog wearing shoes next to some hand bags.

Thanks for reading, this build is now at a stage where i can update it with current goings on.
    Last edited by Yams; 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM.

cant go wrong with a mini! nice work so far

IG: Nick475

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Havent updated this in forever because i couldn't be bothered, but if anyone is interested heres whats happened over the last year or so, maybe longer?

13x8s - Needed to be re-manufactured, cost an arm and a leg, one had a huge crack on the rim, and another was badly buckled.

Polished.

Lowered adjustables

After rolling around slowly for scene points i decided it was time to start on the larger engine.

Finally put a carpet in it, and finished the door cards... And managed to rub through a wheel arch.

Also, winter wheels. Don't laugh. I ended up using these for like 4 months.

Comment

That mini looks great! What was lurking in the new engine? Anything special?

Comment

Originally posted by BuFFyZA View Post
            That mini looks great! What was lurking in the new engine? Anything special?
            Thanks. Its not finished yet, but the block head and crank are from an austin 1300gt. It's taking quite a long time due to the 'while im there i might as well do x'. I'll be happy if i can get just in the high 80s at the flywheel when its finished.

Comment

This is turning out really nicely! I love threads like this

I like the winter wheels

Comment

Fresh arches. I can go lower if i get wider ones. but then no poke. Decisions.

Edit: Flares for your Americans.

Comment

Gone wider.

Got a new car for the winter too. Theres a few things i want to do to it so it'll probably get its own thread one day.

Comment

Love the wider arches, even without the poke it looks badass and very motorsport themed now. Keep up the good work.
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Are they McLean bros arches?

Comment

Cheers, The motorsport look is what i was going for.

And yeah they're mclean bro arches.

Comment

love the new archs! car is looking neat! Also love the cream seats
                          Ruining cars since 2006 yo

Comment

Working...
                          X