Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79' Volvo 245 Wagon

Good evening guys,

My names Phil. I am 25 years old and living in the Hudson Valley of New York. I have recently come into the possession of a 1979 245DL w/ 69K original miles. This is my first "classic" car, the oldest car I've ever owned, my first automatic and first non Japanese vehicle. I've had it for 3 days or 103 miles.

This is a new world from me. I come from a long ownership of 350z. However, it met a very unfortunate ending in an accident and that was the end of that. This was my baby:

So here is my new baby, Vivian.

She was purchased for $2000 after sitting for 7 years. It had belonged to the owner of a Volvo dealership here in the Hudson Valley. He died and his daughters didn't want the car so a neighbor bought it and never ended up driving it. Just sat in a driveway. It had dry rotted tires,crappy wiper blades and needs pads up front. Other than that...it's good to go. There's a dollar bill size area of rust on the bottom and where the roof rack meets the roof the gaskets dried up and peeled up some paint. The leather interior doesn't have a single scuff. I have the original window sticker, owners manual, advertisements, maintenance records/book, the original spare, jack/tool kit and from what I've read rare options like cruise control, a tray below the vents, lower bumper diffuser/air dam.

I plan to keep it nice and clean, but as original as possible, mainly keeping the outside as is and making the inside fit to my needs. I plan to daily it

I was really inspired by this build and it is one of the main reasons I was set on a volvo wagon:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10248

What needs to be done
    - Tires done
    -Front brakes
    -Wipers done
    -Inspection
    -RegistrationDone

What I'd like to do
    -Radio mounted in glove box
    -Update audio...components and sub(s)
    -Fix saggy headliner
    -Overhaul fuel and electrical system
    -Exhaust a small pinhole leak. So new exhaust
    -Lower 3-4 inches. Haven't decided on bags or coils
    -Wheels. No going insane or anything with extreme poke or stance. Just a nice tuck
    -Wood panel the trunk space
    - Join the Volvo high mileage club 100k,250k, +?

I've put 1xx miles on the car since I've bought it and I've already had so many conversations with old/current owners of Volvos and other "classic" cars and it definitely grabs attention. I'm enjoying it and hope I'll be updating frequently. I'm very new to the whole "stance" scene and "classic" cars so any critiques or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    1968 1600SP Beetle build thread

Love that color

Comment

Anyone have tips on restoring old mirrors? The glass on my side view is pretty badly pitted and black. I want to keep them. I thought about fender which,imho would look dope, but I am vertically challenged and wouldn't be able to see them

Comment

Originally posted by oprahhwinfreyy View Post
        Love that color
        Thanks a lot. It looks good in person too, but for some reason in pics its just better. This weekend I'll be taking it to get compounded and polished.

If I put any wax on it at all it just absorbs it. Makes it feel smooth, but does little to bring out the color

Comment

Originally posted by Z33_Taxi View Post
          Anyone have tips on restoring old mirrors? The glass on my side view is pretty badly pitted and black. I want to keep them. I thought about fender which,imho would look dope, but I am vertically challenged and wouldn't be able to see them

If it's not too pitted, get some steel wool dipped in soapy water and just rub over it. If you go to much though you ll dull the chrome. That's how I did my bugs mirror.

Comment

Sweet car, can't wait to see what you do with it. Amazing that you found one with only 69k.

Comment

A nice tuck on coils would make this wagon awesome! I think bags are "too much" for it
              sigpic
              IG: @sexxyton

Comment

I need to start looking at wheel options. 5x108 doesnt offer up a lot. Ive looked at Ferrari wheels and old Jag wheels.

Im seriously considering diamond racing wheels,in white, because I'm a fan of the widened steelie look.

Also need to research redrilling wheels and wobble bolts

Comment

I love old volvos, in to see how it turns out

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by TheTynosaur View Post
                    I love old volvos, in to see how it turns out

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2
                    Thanks. Appreciate it

Comment

I must reach this level of low

Comment

nice score. i just finished putting my coilover setup on my 240 wagon yesterday. your gonna love this car. cool car next to the wagon, yours?
                        i suggest s60 widened steelies...they look so good on a lowered 240.
                        Last edited by volvo_dave; 08-19-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

So jealous...

Interested to see where this goes.

Comment

Originally posted by volvo_dave View Post
                            nice score. i just finished putting my coilover setup on my 240 wagon yesterday. your gonna love this car. cool car next to the wagon, yours?
                            i suggest s60 widened steelies...they look so good on a lowered 240.
                            The 40s Caddy coupe is a co worker of mine.

Just curious what did you lower your 240 with?

I was thinking of going with:
                            Volvo 240 Coilovers, these bolt-on parts give you adjustable ride height and easy access to wide range of spring rates & lenghts

Because that seems to be about the only set up I can find

Comment

oh hell yeeeah, i love this wagon. Too bad it's an automatic
                              2011 Subaru WRX Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X