Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six

Welcome to the build thread of Six (NOPE) - of the Absolution (go to page 2 for the new car).

[irrelevant now] Not sure where the name came from, but it just stuck. [/irrelevant now] I don't name my cars after women. I've already said my vows to my woman. I treat my cars like trusted war horses, best friends, etc. I've got their back and they've got mine. A brief recap of my car history as far as my "project" cars go:

Wraith | 1966 Ford Fairlane 500

I had planned to drop it on some flat black BBS-style wheels with gold rivets. Tried to find a 2 door '65 Mercury Comet to trade for. Ended up selling him to pay for a honeymoon and buy another car, but that money ended up moving us into my current apt. Last known location was Little Five Points.

Fumblesworth | 1997 Cadillac Catera

Cateras are the most unreliable car Cadillac ever sold besides the Cimmaron, but it's a Caddy. So I had to give it a prestigious, yet klutzy name. I planned to stuff it with GTO suspension, do a CTS motor swap, '04 GTO exhaust, 5 speed, and get some Opel Omega tid bits. Some inspiration I found when I was planning the build.

My heart wasn't into the build though, so I traded it for this 1995 240SX

Six |

That was in August of 2012. Here we are in July of 2013.

I'll edit the following post over the weekend to bring the build thread up to date on what I've done to the car.

The 240 is gone. Go to Page 2 for the E36.
    Last edited by Spawn613; 08-21-2014, 02:03 AM.

ENDLESS RIVAL: Art | Automotive Culture

Insta: @endlessrival | @_notlance

Wraith | 1966 Fairlane 500 | Gone
    Six | 1995 S14 | Gone
    Absolution | 1995 E36 | Current

I traded a Catera for this S14 nearly a year ago.

I knew it had engine trouble, but there were a lot of things on it that still worked: cruise control, power mirrors, a/c, etc. Backfired like a mofo though. The previous owner told me it needed to have the timing set.

Since this is my first 240, I took it to a friend who already had one. He agreed there was a problem with the timing. He also thought there might be something wrong with the TPS. So later we take it to the shop, try to set the timing, but nothing worked.

During my "I'm broke atm" downtime, we went ahead and cut the springs since I've never had a lowered car before. Never again. I loved it being low, but driving it over so much as a pebble sent my car flying, lol. I also installed a starter and a pair of S13 seats that were in better condition than the ones the car came with.

Got back home and over night a huge puddle of oil drained out under the car. The rear main seal had basically went 'poof'.

By this time, oil had already been leaking from around the oil pan gasket. So after ordering a new TPS, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket, I was ready to pour in some oil and limp it a few miles over to the shop.

I got the car cranked after my 3rd attempt and noticed it smoothed out a lot. I backed up and started to turn the car, but noticed it was being pretty difficult. Looking ahead of the car, I saw the crank shaft pulley laying on the ground...

Out of the 6 or 8 bolt holes, there were only 2 bolts on it. They had been broken clean in half. The starter gave out shortly afterward. I said "fuck it, I'm buying another engine."

Found a set corner lamps for sale, so I grabbed them up to replace the busted ones. Looks like a rock went into the right turn signal and busted the bulb. The right corner lamp had broken tabs due to PO hitting the front right fender. Installed them after I put on a pair of foglights that came with the car.

I managed to get another KA for dirt cheap since the seller wanted to help me get my car on the road.

Loading up the car to go back to the shop!

Trying out a grill that I got off of a '96 at a salvage yard, while I was waiting to put the car in the shop. I love it so much more than the '95.

In the shop, ready to snatch out that old motor.

I had to go to work later that day, but with Versiontwo Laboratory's "Mystery Meat 2" happening in 2 months, the guys worked on the engine swap. Even after I left for work.

One of them got bored during a break, after the engine was out, and started tearing down the old motor...

This was the upper intake manifold gasket...

There was no oil pan gasket, it was all red RTV.

The block was full of rust and the were DIY freeze plugs that obviously didn't work.

Motors finally in, still having trouble getting it running right.

Got a Walboro 255, Z32 fuel filter, new plugs and wires, a MAF (we determined mine was completely dead, a distributor from a '97 (we also determined mine was screwed), new(er) turn signals, a set of '80's foxbody Mustang GT turbine wheels, and a custom pieced together exhaust that has a Magnaflow resonator and Dynomax muffler.

Mocking up the wheels, the bolt pattern is 4x108 so I'll need to get adapters to put them on. (I didn't take my wheel off, it's sitting next to the car instead.)

Got the car running right! My first actual cruise with the guys. It felt great 'cause I was the only one that didn't have a car running.

In the meantime, I used it as a grocery getter 'cause those cut springs and blown shocks were stupid scary. The next big purchase was coilovers. I was trying to save up for some PBM's, but Mystery Meat 2 was in a month. With no time left, I had to order a set of EMUSA's. They arrived the week before.

GTFO

While installing the coilovers, we discovered the PO had bent the right inner tie rod. So I ordered a new MOOG tie rod to replace it.

Cleaning it up before leaving for Florida.

When the passenger side window handily pulled off the track (after I told one of my friends not to pull up on it when he rolled it up), we set to fixing it and discovered that I have no speaker in that door. So my wife gt me a set of speakers for my trip

The driver side still had the stock one in it however... lol

fresh...

Painted the wheels and plasti-dipped that eyesore of a hood the night before another friend and I headed to Orlando for Mystery Meat. Here we are at one of my favorite places ever. Corona Cigar Co.

Made it.

I started my search for a SE lip (for the time being until I get that GReddy bumper) and traded my extra oil pan for one.

Much better.

A wonderful overheating problem reared it's ugly head during the trip to Orlando. With that in mind, I set about looking for a new radiator and the guy that went with me to Orlando got me a new Stant thermostat. I got a new aluminum radiator from ISIS and a transmission cooler (yeah, it's an auto).

Before this could all go in, I had to deal with my tires problem. I haven't had a 4 wheel alignment yet, so the front tires were ridiculously bald on the outside edge. They were practically down past the outer rubber, and if you know what's been going on in Georgia lately, that's bad. My steering would float around if the road was damp.

I wanted to get the alignment before I put new tires on and have the same bad wear on them. The trouble was finding a shop that I could get my car into. My car scrapped going into this shop (which is known for working with low cars). Even with boards, they couldn't get it all the way onto the lift.

Found out the guy with the other 240 got his done at Riverside Ford. If they can get his car into the shop, then they can sure as hell get mine in there.

After getting my wheels aligned, I headed to the tire shop. Got some 4x114.3 to 4x108 adapters for the Mustang wheels, and some Falken Ziex ZE-912's. No more steelies!

The 1 inch thick adapters pushed the wheels flush up front.

Not so much in the back. The guy at Riverside could only max the rear RUCA's out the -3.3 and -2.5. He was aimin' for -1.5 since it's my daily. I'm gong to pick up some Stance RUCA's later, but it's not high on the list right now.

With that out of the way, I installed the radiator and the trans cooler. Didn't have time to install the thermostat. When I took the old radiator hoses off to replace them, I found out the most likely cause for all of the damn rust... this fell out of the upper rad. hose.

Found a pic of the radiator I took while buffing the headlights. Anyway, this catches us up on the build. Next are kouki tails, motor mounts, and a new windshield.

Last edited by Spawn613; 07-13-2013, 03:06 AM.

Six | 1995 S14 | Gone

Comment

BUUUUUT, in the meantime here's future plans:

Satin Pearl White

WAS going Matte White

Supercharged KA24DE-R

R33 Front Bumper (I'm staying zenki, but this kouki is the nicest car I can find with one on it)

Was gonna go GReddy GRacer front bumper

Instant Gentleman skirts and rear bumper (this may change as well)

Red vinyl wrapped, chrome LED tails

20mm front fenders and 50mm rear fenders. Not sure which brand yet, but def nothing with a stupid big oversized vent.

Rein Hard Semi-T exhaust

PBM coilovers

D-Drug dropvent hood (there aren't any good pics of it on a S14.

G-Corporation clear headlight covers

Color scheme will be matte white exterior, machine polished wheels, gold accesories such as skidplate, cooling plate, strut tower brace, lug nuts, etc. Interior will be going all black.

That's all I can think of atm. Haven't picked out any wheels, 'cause I love so many of them ;-;
      Last edited by Spawn613; 11-21-2013, 01:35 AM.

Six | 1995 S14 | Gone

Comment

Your Cadillac Catera is basically a Vauxhall Omega over here in Europe

in for more anyway
        Instagram - marcuscreek ---- facebook - /cusbum

Static Low R50 Mini Cooper

Comment

In to watch another middle ga build. Im from Warner Robins, but I recently moved to Dothan, my brother is still there with a z06 and a couple camaros
          2010 135i | Alpine White | Coral Red | 6MT | Bagged

Build | Instagram: fifty3bags

Comment

I was considering ka24r, are you gonna use a roots off an xterra or centrifugal?,
            The only thing lower than my standards is my truck.

Build thread!!!

Comment

Excited to see where it goes!
              i have the s10 that everybody hates

Comment

good plans, looking forward to the build!

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Originally posted by cus View Post
                  Your Cadillac Catera is basically a Vauxhall Omega over here in Europe

in for more anyway
                  Indeed, I was looking to nab some Omega parts for it. Especially the wheels.

Originally posted by Isuzupickup View Post
                  I was considering ka24r, are you gonna use a roots off an xterra or centrifugal?,
                  Roots type Xterra.

Six | 1995 S14 | Gone

Comment

Recap has been posted! (2nd post)

Six | 1995 S14 | Gone

Comment

Looks good!
                      i have the s10 that everybody hates

Comment

Loved reading the recap. That car sure was the definition of 240 kid maintained. "bro...bro...let's cut a pizza box to use for the gasket!"
                        The only thing lower than my standards is my truck.

Build thread!!!

Comment

At first i was like, Riiiight......... this could be okish

Then i was like uhhhhhhhhh dafuq is this

Then i was like MAD. aside from the exhaust you want :P looking good so far dude!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigSnedeker View Post
                            Looks good!
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by Isuzupickup View Post
                            Loved reading the recap. That car sure was the definition of 240 kid maintained. "bro...bro...let's cut a pizza box to use for the gasket!"
                            ikr? I still have the damn thing. I'm gonna frame it. They didn't even bother with expensive pizza either, like DiGiorno's. They cheaped out and bought Totino's.

Originally posted by Thom View Post
                            At first i was like, Riiiight......... this could be okish

Then i was like uhhhhhhhhh dafuq is this

Then i was like MAD. aside from the exhaust you want :P looking good so far dude!
                            The resonated version of the Rein Hard exhaust can be loud and dramatic if you head out to the track with friends. Put the baffles in, and it makes the KA sound like a loud but mellow V8. Put both the silencers and baffles in, and it runs out of breath when it comes to being loud at high RPM. That will come in handy on a work day when I come home at 6 am at the back of my apartment complex.

I love titanium exhaust when the tips are colored. It also weighs only 28 lbs. Here's some more detailed shots: http://www.frsport.com/Reinhard-exha...4_p_12848.html

I decided to get it based on looks, sound, versatility. I like how chill my car sounds on the drive home thanks to the Magnaflow, but when I cruise with the guys, I want it to be loud af.

Thanks for the compliments though! I like your Mitsubishi. I was thinking about building one in the future after I saw several CLEAN ones at Mystery Meat 2. They seem like neat cars.

Six | 1995 S14 | Gone

Comment

quite the build... i like where this is going

Comment

Working...
                              X