refinishing Avantgards...the old ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refinishing Avantgards...the old ones

Hey All...so I bought these old Avantgards from Chubby here...

some curbage an all of them, a nice gouge and a couple bends.
    got the bends taken out at Seattle Wheel Service.

fixed the gouge

not perfect but not too bad. cast aluminum is porous and hard to get pit free weld in there.
    I did a few touch ups with more weld but decided to leave it like this before I ended up with a dip in the lip from repeated grinds.
    the shape is right but there are 3 small pin holes.

I did some paint moc ups with masking tape, thinking about painting them but not sure yet.

this isn't my truck but it was a handy pic for photo shopping wheels on it.

I sanded the paint off the face to 600 grit and shined em up with flitz metal polish

then I painted inside the windows and lug holes black.

you can see it's not nearly mirror polish, just hazy smooth raw aluminum now.
    flush valve in place, not sure if I'll use them.

I'm not real sure what to do with them. my truck is tan+dirt
    I work in an industrial district and shit gets a haze of dirt on it just going to work one day.

I have a buddy who thinks I ought to go track day orange paint. I like the idea but I'm not too sure if I can do that loud of a color/finish.

if I do paint, I like the idea of the slight twist effect from a bit of black on the face of the spokes. but I like the polish too.
    this rim face wouldn't be too hard to clean and re polish while mounted with a tire on the car, so it's possible to keep it looking nice w/o tons of work.

so far I've just worked on this one wheel to see how it looks.
    I'm looking for opinions and suggestions. if I go paint I'm more inclined to go bronze/black rather then orange.
    also thinking about a BBS center cap instead of the white A! cap.

hope you all don't mind the cell phone pics...it's all I have.
    thanks for your thoughts
Working...
X