61 Morris Minor Street Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Morris Minor Street Rod

This is going to be a long build cause it's for my pops, and I have to fit him in between paying customers! Been working on it for about a year on and off. Since I build a lot of british cars and he always wanted a hotrod, I figured why not build him a slammed Morris Minor with some grunt. So I picked this one up in Delaware last Thanksgiving and surprised him with it. Goal is to have a clean, slammed, and decently fast car with modern bells and whistles. So I pulled the 948cc motor out that made a whopping 34hp, and replaced it with a wrecked 95 Camaro fuel injected 3.4 V6. Power to weight should be around 300hp, 1800lbs.

Now the technical stuff, pulled the old drivetrain, put in a 86 toyota pickup truck frame with disc brakes. Body dropped it, all new floors, 3.4 Camaro Engine and 4l60e trans are in, ford 8.8 rear end narrowed 9 inches from a 94 exploder, vw scricco griffen drag radiator, narrowed front control arms 2 inches, and went from little 13x4 wheels to 15x5 front, 16x8 rear. Air suspension is finally all fabricated. Now just a bunch.... a bunch of metal fabrication, and tweaking everything to get it off to paint hopefully within the next month or two.

Here is a little RENDERING I did a long time ago of the paint scheme/stance, etc.

Here is where it all started. Big brown potato being towed home.

Everyone thinks it looks like a beetle.... it's not a damn beetle!

That was how low I got it static, but then I decided to bag it to get it on the ground.

Wrecked Camaro I picked up for $700, pulled everything I needed and sadly sold it for scrap for $500.

The new meats!

Engine/trans coming out.

Custom control arms made up by MMW.

Then the fun started with doing the air suspension, and getting rid of all the old crap.

More trimming.

All buttoned up, top plates fabricated, air lines ran, just need to weld some bump stops in there at some point.

Yeaaaaa, wheels tuck!

But ended up having to cut stock inner fenders out, used trailer fenders instead. Gained me about 3" all around.

Little bit bigger rear end. A bit overkill, but bought it for $100, and it had the 3.55 gears in it I wanted. Plus same polt pattern as the toyota front discs, and 31 spline axles.

Some rear rake. Need to widen rear fenders 3 inches, even after narrowing axle 9 inches.

The stance, aired out it will touch the chin spoiler on the ground and oil pan.

Anyway, won't be to much development the next few weeks, but in feb it will kick back up again when the baby starts daycare, and wife goes back to work! I got to get it running/driving by march when I start a $20k Mini project for a customer. Hope it's your guys bag, if you haven't realized by the other thread, I like weird cars.

1998 Astro, 1976 Mini Clubman Estate, 1985 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Sweet beetle!

In for more of this

Comment

Har Har Har. I swear, atleast 50% of customers/friends that come over said they had never seen a beetle like that before. Come on. Just for a reference, the top of the radiator is below my knee cap, and that's with the wheels sitting on top of 2 2x12's. Can't wait to take it for it's first spin around the block.

Comment

I don't know what the hell this is but I love it!

$200 for an engine tranny and all the other stuff you want off of it is a win in my book. (says the guy that buys a car for the radio and wheels and parts the rest out).

AND your local! I'm in Baltimore and drive everywhere for work. Maybe I can check this out in person. I was just off of Riva Road this morning.

Also, what kind of lift is that? I've been debating of buying one of those that I can wheel around since ceiling height is limited in my garage for a two post. And in nice weather I can just roll it outside.

Is that a CB750 in the corner?
        DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
        E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Sweet, I'll sub to this.

Comment

I'm loving everything here.

Comment

Car looks real legit and very unique. My only question is how are you planning on getting 300hp from the 3.4? boost?

Comment

Jealous of all the Mini's!

This is awesome

Comment

This is definitely different! In for more.

Comment

Originally posted by los02 View Post
                    Also, what kind of lift is that? I've been debating of buying one of those that I can wheel around since ceiling height is limited in my garage for a two post. And in nice weather I can just roll it outside.

Is that a CB750 in the corner?

I bought a scissor lift from a hotrod shop that went out of business for $500 brand new, lifts 44" and supports 6000lbs. Has worked fantastic for my projects, ie "smaller than normal".
                    The bike is a 71 cb350 twin I built for myself last year. 2900 original miles on it now... had to hack it up a little bit, but there were millions made right?

Originally posted by SonicSlammer View Post
                    Car looks real legit and very unique. My only question is how are you planning on getting 300hp from the 3.4? boost?
                    Well 250 is easily achievable. We may go for some juice, but more than likely it may end up getting turbo'd if it ain't good enough for pops. I think with the gearing now, weight, it should be a fun car. I did built custom headers for it, exhaust, intake, polished upper and lower. Still need to play with the heads and cam. But it will get there.

Comment

This is badass.

Comment

I've got the same motor in my Camaro. 160/200 isn't bad. It'll be awesome in that thing. I might have a MSD coil pack that's good for it if you want it. Can't remember if I tossed it or not. The iron heads on these motors are shit, no way about it. A good port and polish will do it good, as well as a 260 or 272 cam. But if you go 272 it will need ported heads to flow well enough.

If you're interested in turboing that motor, look in the V6 section on Thirdgen.org or 60*6. These things can take 14 PSI stock at 100K miles. If you want serious power I'd recommend the 2.8 crank as its stronger than the 3.1 or 3.4. Also, the 3400 and 3500 top ends are bolt on as well I believe.
                        Last edited by RubbderDucky; 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
                        And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

This is full of so much win, aside from the GM engine
                          All joking aside this thing is so sweet, Can't wait to see more!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

^^^ I like this guys signature!

Originally posted by notabmw1 View Post

I bought a scissor lift from a hotrod shop that went out of business for $500 brand new, lifts 44" and supports 6000lbs. Has worked fantastic for my projects, ie "smaller than normal".
                            The bike is a 71 cb350 twin I built for myself last year. 2900 original miles on it now... had to hack it up a little bit, but there were millions made right?
                            Cool. I' have mainly Honda's. Not as small. But with a 6000lbs capacity I should be able to get everything I need done out of one.
                            Last edited by los02; 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM.
                            DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                            E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Originally posted by los02 View Post
                              ^^^ I like this guys signature!

Cool. I' have mainly Honda's. Not as small. But with a 6000lbs capacity I should be able to get everything I need done out of one.
                              Haha thanks!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Working...
                              X